The hole on the Bills roster that could ruin the season

16 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m pretty surprised the Bills as a contender didn’t take out an insurance policy for Josh Allen. With Newton in the fold this division is going to be a dogfight and if Barkley/Fromm has to start meaningful games that could be the difference. 

I know you guys love Beane/McDermott and they are doing a great job, but to me they made a mistake here. 

Every team in the division has proven QBs behind their starter with the exception of the prohibitive favorite.  

So, about Sam Darnold....Joe Flacco and Mike White, seriously?  If they have to start meaningful games that could be the difference.  What exactly has Flacco proven except that he's done, stick a fork in him? Jets made a mistake here. 

What has Stidham proven?  or Tua for that matter?

Most teams have a huge step-down in talent going from the starter to the backup

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Backup QB...and it's not even close.

If Allen goes down for any amount of time, say goodbye to the season.

Yeah - as is the case with pretty much every team in the last forever.  There's the occaisional lightning in a bottle (Brady, Warner, Foles) - but for the most part you end up with guys closer to Charlie Whitehurst, Drew Stanton, and Matt Moore.  A few teams prioritized it more this year - Jets, Raiders, Cowboys.  But the jets offense was an absolute crater with the guys they had in there, so flacco's basically matt schaub in there - he gives you a shot.  Raiders i think liked mariota to compete.  Dalton was insurance in case dak didn't report (dak has missed 0 games since entering the league).

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, about Sam Darnold....Joe Flacco and Mike White, seriously?  If they have to start meaningful games that could be the difference.  What exactly has Flacco proven except that he's done, stick a fork in him? Jets made a mistake here. 

What has Stidham proven?  or Tua for that matter?

Most teams have a huge step-down in talent going from the starter to the backup

In the 3 games without darnold last year the Jets offense scored 9 points.  They also averaged 165 total yards across those 3 weeks.  

So i think there was room for improvement from - worst offense in the history of football

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Every NFL team that is a legit Super Bowl contender has a backup QB problem EXCEPT Dallas who has Dalton who I think can do a pretty good job still on that Dallas team if Captain Overpaid gets hurt.  So this thread is a bit silly, as just about most teams have the same hole.  What happens if Brady goes down in TB?  Mahomes goes down in KC?  Jimmy G goes down in SF?  Wilson goes down in Seattle?  Rodgers goes down in GB?  Brees goes down for Saints?  And so on and so on.  I mean none of those teams are super bowl contenders on paper with their current backup QB starting instead.  

And I said "on paper" because you never know what can happen when one of these unheralded guys steps on a field.  No one saw Hostettler leading the Giants to the Super Bowl when Simms got hurt over Kelly and the Bills.  No one saw Brady taking over for Bledsoe and making and winning a SB.  So anything is possible, but the point is, on paper all of the other SB contenders are in a similar spot as Bills in terms of what it looks like on paper is sitting on the bench behind their starting QB's.  

So this isnt a unique problem to the Bills.  Again, only Dallas has a legit proven quality backup capable of doing a similar job to Dak if he was to get hurt.  Thats a RARE commodity in the NFL...very rare.  

Exactly! I was to write a similar post but no need to now. There is this thing called SALARY CAP. Plus, great players are not magically put on shelves for GMs to pick up nor stock up. Every team has holes, and every team wished it didn't. In the East, Darnold and Flacco seem the best duo when it comes to depth... but IMO they pale compared to the #1 of other teams. And the rumor is that Cam might be the backup in NE. They'll likely have a legit QB competition there for #1 spot, none is given yet.

18 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m pretty surprised the Bills as a contender didn’t take out an insurance policy for Josh Allen. With Newton in the fold this division is going to be a dogfight and if Barkley/Fromm has to start meaningful games that could be the difference. 

I know you guys love Beane/McDermott and they are doing a great job, but to me they made a mistake here. 

Every team in the division has proven QBs behind their starter with the exception of the prohibitive favorite.  

I knew I would regret clicking on this. :doh:

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

The Jets completely quit on Todd Bowles that game. I think Barkley’s overall body of work speaks for itself. 

The Bills had ample opportunities to upgrade that position this offseason and decided not to. 

Its the most important position on the field. If Allen can’t beat out Joe Flacco, Colt McCoy, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, or Marcus Marietta than he’s probably not the guy. 

You missed the entire point.....but....you are a jets fan so

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You want a back up who can come in and win you a few games if your starter is out. Someone who can keep the ship afloat... if Allen is out for a 4-5 weeks, the Bills are screwed. They'll lose every game with Fromm/Barkley.

The master of hyperbole, exaggeration, and pessimism is at it again. At least you’re consistent.

Meh. I think they'll be alright. Barkley isn't too bad. And Fromm seems like he can pick up on a scheme pretty good. If he had to go in, they would probably be a bit limited in terms of how deep into the playbook they can go, as is the case with any young quarterbacks. 

Josh is a big fella. And all reports this off-season are that he's beefed up and ready to go. 

https://giphy.com/gifs/southparkgifs-l0HlNsqRcBSNInrzO

Edit: I'll be a buttmonkey's uncle if I can remember how to make gifs appear in posts. Dapgummit! Can someone remind me? Thanks. 

Edited by blacklabel

21 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Oh please, just stop, 

now we know why you got booted off gang green... 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

With a strong defensive effort, the Bills can compete with almost anyone in the league, even with a backup QB at the helm.  Barkley is no world beater, but he's an NFL veteran who has been with the team long enough to know the playbook very well.  We should have a good OL, good RBs and good pass catchers, so I don't think the entire thing unravels if Barkley has to play a few games.  I don't see us outscoring the Chiefs, but that's only one game.  There's no reason we can't compete with the bottom 25 or so teams with a backup QB if the defense plays well.  And if Fromm somehow rises to the occasion and beats out Barkley as a rookie, then he's got some talent that will help us.  Fromm has played well against the likes of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, etc., in high pressure games in huge noisy stadiums, so perhaps the moment wouldn't be too big for him.  (I still think Barkley beats him out and remains the #2 for one more year and I also think there won't be full noisy stadiums this year.)

Edited by msw2112

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How do you figure? How are they scoring? 

By running and throwing, I imagine. Or defensively. Or on special teams.

Dolphins and Jets will be among the league's worst teams this year. I thought the Jets might be better but I've changed my mind about them and think they will struggle.

Dolphins have a major lack of talent and are still a year away at least before being a team to worry about, but they are on the right track.

Doesn't really matter, though. Most teams would suck if their starting QB misses significant time. Only a small handful of teams would be ok. None of the AFC East teams are among those.

Edited by MJS

Firts, there are very few teams in the NFL that can withstand the loss of the starting QB.  Saints got lucky last year, but only because Bridgewater was coming off injury.  They now have Winston as a back up.  Great move by them.  Dalton to the Cowboys is also a great move.  I agree with the general idea the OP stated. The Bills could do better at backup QB with Winston or Dalton.  However, there are very few other teams in the NFL that are any better at backup QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:40 AM, DCbillsfan said:

Based on what Beane and McD have done so far, I give them the benefit of the doubt.  They know Cam very well.  Perhaps they didn't believe he would be a good fit.  

Cam wants to be the starter.   He was not going to come in here and  take over Allen.   That is not how McDermott has built this team.  

Cam will be starting for NE,  

On 6/29/2020 at 4:40 PM, JetsFan20 said:

So basically, you are saying the same as Michael Lombardi:

15 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I think Flacco can be a Pro Bowl starter for the Jets by years end. Perhaps he had a Vinny Testavetde type run.

Yes my money is on Flacco and Cam Newton to be in the pro bowl this year !!!