The hole on the Bills roster that could ruin the season

I like the draft pick of Fromm given what we saw from Barkley last year.   

With the talent on this team, we just need a QB who can hit the short passes, TE seam routes and the occasional play action.   

Defense will keep most opponents in check and with a decent OL, Singletary and Moss, we should be able to lean on the running game and jump balls to Diggs / deep play action to Brown for chunk plays. 

So is the idea of our backup QB situation being our major "hole" officially a meme at this point?  Feels like it's getting to the point of comedic geniuses barking "lolol league awards compensatory picks to the Patriots lolol" whenever anything of note happens.

Or is the OP actually serious in believing this is insightful?

We have only seen Barkley one time where he had a week to prepare as the starter and played with the 1st team offense around him.  He played surprisingly well then and if the coaches think he is their best QB2 option then I am ok with it. 

There were years where Frank Reich's status as the #2 QB was the subject of much concern among the Bills fandom.  He never looked good in the preseason and seemed to lack any outstanding trait(s) that would justify the organizational faith in him.  His first start came in his 4th year with the team in 1989 against the 5-0 Rams on Monday Night Football and the offense sputtered most of the game.  I remember Dierdorf(?) asking how a game that was such a clunker could get so good as he lead the team to 17 4th quarter points and they came from behind twice to earn the win.  Then we kind of figured out why they kept him around.  He went 3-0 in the games he started that year.

Frank Reich was the classic example of a backup QB that knew his place, was an asset to the starter during the week of preparation and could rally the team around him when he was called upon. Barkley may or may not be that kind of QB2.

Our schedule is tough this year. For me it comes down to this, if the Bills can’t beat the Pats with a broken down Cam we have no business in the discussion in the first place. 

I for one believe Cam makes them better, but if we are what I think we are. It shouldn’t matter. 

With that said Jetsfan is like really annoying, yeah? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So the fins have a rookie behind Fitz.......a player that has not played a down in the NFL yet.

They have "wrong" Josh who has played a down in NFL behind him.  Tua is on team to give rehab team practice.

12 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Will you just go away and haunt someone else already?

There is not anybody on JEST board worth haunting.  Adam Gase chased them away.  Last time I went to a JEST board top thread was about trying to get Rex to come back.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Based on what Beane and McD have done so far, I give them the benefit of the doubt.  They know Cam very well.  Perhaps they didn't believe he would be a good fit.  

Beane may have reached out to him for all we know.  I doubt Cam given his accomplishments wanted to back up Josh Allen.  In NE, he will compete for the starting role.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m pretty surprised the Bills as a contender didn’t take out an insurance policy for Josh Allen. With Newton in the fold this division is going to be a dogfight and if Barkley/Fromm has to start meaningful games that could be the difference. 

I know you guys love Beane/McDermott and they are doing a great job, but to me they made a mistake here. 

Every team in the division has proven QBs behind their starter with the exception of the prohibitive favorite.  

Interesting point...I have to say that whenever McBean mess up on roster decisions, it’s usually on the offensive side of the ball- definitely their achilles heal...we shall see...

Most teams have a dicey situation should their starting QB go down.  Barkley has been solid in relief and he's been awful.  Fromm is a solid decision maker (except when it comes to his presence on Twitter) who may be a solid game manager, but lacks an NFL skill set in terms of arm strength and athleticism.  There's also Davis Webb, who from all accounts has a great football mind and a live arm.  It's possible he could show something this preseason that could move him out of the "overlooked" category.  I'm not optimistic about what the season would look like if Josh Allen went down early with a season ending injury, but you never know.

• Like (+1) 1

80-90% of NFL teams are screwed if their starting QB goes down for an extended period of time. The Bills have a decent backup in Barkley. I am confident in Barkley to keep the team afloat if Josh misses a stretch of games. But if Josh is out for the season this team is screwed and that would be the case for almost any team. The team's fortunes rest on Josh plain and simple. 

• Haha (+1) 1