The hole on the Bills roster that could ruin the season

I’m pretty surprised the Bills as a contender didn’t take out an insurance policy for Josh Allen. With Newton in the fold this division is going to be a dogfight and if Barkley/Fromm has to start meaningful games that could be the difference. 

I know you guys love Beane/McDermott and they are doing a great job, but to me they made a mistake here. 

Every team in the division has proven QBs behind their starter with the exception of the prohibitive favorite.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have it on good authority that if Allen gets injured, the Bills will use the Wing-T formation exclusively.

So, you see, there is NO REASON whatsoever for the Bills to worry about the backup QB position. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

You're such a troll. Who do the Dolphins have behind Fitz? Who do the Patriots have behind Newton?

Can this person be banned?

Lol.  Pass that white powdery substance over here!!

• Haha (+1) 2

I disagree with the OP's take.  New England:  Newton, if healthy, is the starter.  If he isn't healthy, you're left with Stidham who has no NFL experience to speak of and Hoyer who is up there in years and is a career backup type of guy (arguably in the mold of Barkley, but I'll give you that he's more accomplished).  Miami:  Fitz and a rookie coming off of a bad injury.  Jests:  Darnold and Flacco.  Darnold and Allen have different skill sets, but are arguably at about the same point in their careers.  I think that Allen has more upside.  Flacco is undoubtedly more accomplished than Barkley, but it's been a number of years since he's been at the top of his game.  He is old, slow and brittle.  He reminds me a little bit of Drew Bledsoe in his final years.  He certainly isn't a guy to be feared.  The Bills have a promising young starter on the upswing in Allen, a middle of the road backup in Barkley and a developmental rookie with potential and upside in Fromm.  (I won't bring Davis Webb into the mix.)  The Bills also have a really good defense, so the backup QB might only need to manage the game and hold down the fort until an injured stater came back.  Barkley has a small sample size with the team, but the one meaningful game he started, he played really well.  I think that he could take the reins and keep the team afloat for a few weeks.

So, I don't agree that this is a huge hole that could ruin the season any more than if any other team lost its starting QB for an extended period of time.  The Kurt Warner and Nick Foles stories are few and far between.  Most #2 QBs are #2s for a reason.   Sure, a Dalton, Newton or Flacco type may have been better than Barkley, but the Bills have reasons they didn't go in any of those directions and I trust the judgment of the current management and coaching staff.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 6

17 minutes ago, chongli said:

You're such a troll. Who do the Dolphins have behind Fitz? Who do the Patriots have behind Newton?

Can this person be banned?

You really don’t know who the Dolphins have behind Fitz?  Seems like he was a pretty well known draft pick.  And half this board seems to think Newton is no better than Stidham, so there shouldn’t be a huge drop off if Cam goes down, right?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m pretty surprised the Bills as a contender didn’t take out an insurance policy for Josh Allen. With Newton in the fold this division is going to be a dogfight and if Barkley/Fromm has to start meaningful games that could be the difference. 

I know you guys love Beane/McDermott and they are doing a great job, but to me they made a mistake here. 

Every team in the division has proven QBs behind their starter with the exception of the prohibitive favorite.  

Holy crap, you actually take the time to come on to this site and offer up these nuggets of wisdom?  Really breaking the mold of intelligent and insightful Jets fans

• Haha (+1) 2

Every NFL team that is a legit Super Bowl contender has a backup QB problem EXCEPT Dallas who has Dalton who I think can do a pretty good job still on that Dallas team if Captain Overpaid gets hurt.  So this thread is a bit silly, as just about most teams have the same hole.  What happens if Brady goes down in TB?  Mahomes goes down in KC?  Jimmy G goes down in SF?  Wilson goes down in Seattle?  Rodgers goes down in GB?  Brees goes down for Saints?  And so on and so on.  I mean none of those teams are super bowl contenders on paper with their current backup QB starting instead.  

And I said "on paper" because you never know what can happen when one of these unheralded guys steps on a field.  No one saw Hostettler leading the Giants to the Super Bowl when Simms got hurt over Kelly and the Bills.  No one saw Brady taking over for Bledsoe and making and winning a SB.  So anything is possible, but the point is, on paper all of the other SB contenders are in a similar spot as Bills in terms of what it looks like on paper is sitting on the bench behind their starting QB's.  

So this isnt a unique problem to the Bills.  Again, only Dallas has a legit proven quality backup capable of doing a similar job to Dak if he was to get hurt.  Thats a RARE commodity in the NFL...very rare.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

You really don’t know who the Dolphins have behind Fitz?  Seems like he was a pretty well known draft pick. 

Yes, let's all worship Tua, even before he has taken a single snap. He is God!! As a Bills fan, I fear Tua. He will tear up our secondary, and put Tre'Davious White to shame. In fact, I crown the Dolphins as prohibitive favorites to win the East this year.

Edited by chongli

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

You really don’t know who the Dolphins have behind Fitz?  Seems like he was a pretty well known draft pick.  And half this board seems to think Newton is no better than Stidham, so there shouldn’t be a huge drop off if Cam goes down, right?

Half of this board is losing it from lack of sports and are starting to come up with some crazy theories and polls. Hopefully when we get football back it'll return to just around 15% ?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, chongli said:

Yes, let's all worship Tua, even before he has taken a single snap. He is God!! As a Bills fan, I fear Tua. He will tear up our secondary, and put Tre'Davious White to shame. In fact, I crown the Dolphins as prohibitive favorites to win the East this year.

There’s plenty of room between being that great and being better than Barkley who is in the conversation of worst backups in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

I should link the TBD topic where Mahomes was struggling in camp. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Based on what Beane and McD have done so far, I give them the benefit of the doubt.  They know Cam very well.  Perhaps they didn't believe he would be a good fit.  

I can't wait to see Cam play in the cold weather of the Northeast.  I can see him shaking with his hands in the fanny pack trying to stay warm.  And then throwing passes over his receivers heads, and skipping some into the ground, then jogging over to the sidelines looking totally lost w Belichik just glaring at him.  The cold wind rain and snow of NE, NY and Buffalo are going to mess with Cam big time.  It will be very interesting to see what Cam has left in the tank.  A lot of people think he has a lot of game left.  I am not one of them.  But I was admittedly never a big fan of his.  Thought he was all about Cam even when he was good.  But not trying to dive on the fumble in the Super Bowl was as weak a football play this side of Kyle Orton checking up short of the first down against the Broncos to keep from getting hit.   

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

There’s plenty of room between being that great and being better than Barkley who is in the conversation of worst backups in the league.

Barkley won't be our backup for long.  Fromm is going right by him on the depth chart real quick Billly Boy.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Half of this board is losing it from lack of sports and are starting to come up with some crazy theories and polls. Hopefully when we get football back it'll return to just around 15% ?

Guys, this is another post of a Jets fan who is trying to passively aggressively insight these things.  Not worth our time.  If the mods want to let him keep going, fine as Hapless sent a nice message the other day, but Jets 2020 is just trying to insight silliness on this board.  I don’t dislike the guy, just don’t want to play into his nonsense.  He knows what he is doing and it’s not that he is a Bills fan.  

My suggestion is don’t reply to his threads.  I’ve not answered his question and won’t.  Let the thread die.  Like you’re mom said as a kid, if someone is bothering you or a pain, just ignore him and give him absolutely no response.  This message is for the real Bills fans on the board, not someone just trying in a veiled way try and stir up trouble.  

• Thank you (+1) 2