Singer/Songwriter Benny Mardones Passes Away at 73

I didn't realize he lived in Syracuse and performed there regularly. Also, pretty sure his big hit "Into The Night," a song about a 33 year-old man lusting after a 16 year-old girl, wouldn't fly in today's world.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/benny-mardones-into-the-night-singer-songwriter-dead-at-73/ar-BB166H5s?ocid=ientp

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

28 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I didn't realize he lived in Syracuse and performed there regularly. Also, pretty sure his big hit "Into The Night," a song about a 33 year-old man lusting after a 16 year-old girl, wouldn't fly in today's world.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/benny-mardones-into-the-night-singer-songwriter-dead-at-73/ar-BB166H5s?ocid=ientp

Great song but he could just as easily have made her 18 without messing up the syllable count of the lyric.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Great song but he could just as easily have made her 18 without messing up the syllable count of the lyric.  

Yeah, but pedo rock was all the rage in the '60s.

I believe Into the Night was inspired by the 16 year old babysitter he hired to watch his young child when he was working on song lyrics.  Supposedly, he was working on lyrics late into the night/early in the morning and came home stumped that he couldn't think of anything, and she asked him how it went.  That was the inspiration to the song, which he quickly penned.

I recall hearing this on a Sirius XM 80s Billboard countdown show, Mark Goodman from MTV fame mentioned this; that guy knows pretty much everything about 80s music so I trust that story...assuming I recall it correctly.   Song was originally from 1980/81 and re-released in 1989.  Have to admit it isn't my favorite song and I don't recall Benny Mardones having any other notable songs.