What's your favorite crockpot recipe?

Westside

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Surprisingly, roasting a chicken in the crock pot is easy and delicious. You don’t get the crispy skin of an oven, but it is very moist.

by the way, I don’t believe in pulled pork in the crock pot. It’s morally repugnant. I know too many terrible home cooks that think they are gourmet chefs by throwing a big chunk of fatty pork into the crock pot and then dumping bbq sauce on that mushy mess later. 

I have a fantastic crock pot pulled pork recipe.  It's always gotten rave reviews.  I'll post it when I get home tonight.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Surprisingly, roasting a chicken in the crock pot is easy and delicious. You don’t get the crispy skin of an oven, but it is very moist.

by the way, I don’t believe in pulled pork in the crock pot. It’s morally repugnant. I know too many terrible home cooks that think they are gourmet chefs by throwing a big chunk of fatty pork into the crock pot and then dumping bbq sauce on that mushy mess later. 

Put a cut lemon in the chicken cavity in the CP and it turns out amazing. 6 hours on low.

For PP in the CP, you gotta sear that meat first with a rub, and it will be perfect.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

Crockpot is mostly used during the fall / winter months in this house.  Soups, chili, stew, and the like.

I know people that use their crockpots year round.  Depends on what you want to use it for.  Great way to cook if you can't be home all day and don't want something out of a can or delivery all the time.

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Put a cut lemon in the chicken cavity in the CP and it turns out amazing. 6 hours on low.

For PP in the CP, you gotta sear that meat first with a rub, and it will be perfect.

You my friend, are no longer allowed at any TBD tailgate. @Cripple Creek, can you believe the nerve of this guy?

Pulled pork in crock pot.... you like breading on your wings and then baked ??

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

You my friend, are no longer allowed at any TBD tailgate. @Cripple Creek, can you believe the nerve of this guy?

Pulled pork in crock pot.... you like breading on your wings and then baked ??

My wife has made "Pulled Pork" in the CP

Man, is the pork  moist and pulls apart real easy.  

17 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Agreed on crock pot pulled pork.  If you can't do it in a smoker then just throw it in the oven.

Why would you roast a chicken in a crock pot when it takes 45 mins to perfectly roast a chicken in your oven?

10 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Spent $223 of my own money as a 7 year old for a Ross Pirannah BMX bike from there!

you had more money than than ya do now!

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Agreed on crock pot pulled pork.  If you can't do it in a smoker then just throw it in the oven.

Why would you roast a chicken in a crock pot when it takes 45 mins to perfectly roast a chicken in your oven?

yep, throw massive amounts of slat and pepper on a butt, throw it in the oven at 250 for 8-9 hours, let it rest 30 minutes, throw it back under broiler for 15-30 to crisp up fat cap. 

Serve with some dipping sauces like chimichurri, nuac cham, or your favorite BBQ sauce. Just did this a few weeks ago when had a crowd coming over and could not attend the smoker properly..10 minutes to make sauces total...was perfect

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

1 hour ago, Jaraxxus said:

Get more of a "pulled chicken" consistency out of the crock pot. But i prefer oven-roasted, yes.

that’s exactly it. It’s sort of a different dish altogether. Almost like chicken for chicken and dumplings. 

For all of you crockpot pulled pork naysayers, here is a recipe that a former coworker shared with me, as his grandmother wrote it.  It turns out ridiculously good.  Yes .. I prefer the smoker or the oven, too.  But this really is legit.

(to save time, I am not going to worry about capitalization, etc.  I'm typing it as it's written)

bbq sauce:

cook an onion finely chopped until soft

put onions in a pot, add equal parts of light brown sugar, ketchup and apple juice (usually 2 cups is good)

add a squirt of mustard, a few dashes of worcestershire and liquid smoke

bring to a boil an simmer for 15-20 min or until it's the consistency that you want

Pork:

Put the pork in the crockpot, use 1 cup of sauce and top off with apple juice

Cook for about 8 hours

pull pork out of crock pot, discard cooking liquid

shred pork and return to crockpot, add the rest of the sauce, stir and heat until hot

Serve

Laugh all you want, but before I got a smoker, this is how I made it and it is phenomenal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

For all of you crockpot pulled pork naysayers, here is a recipe that a former coworker shared with me, as his grandmother wrote it.  It turns out ridiculously good.  Yes .. I prefer the smoker or the oven, too.  But this really is legit.

(to save time, I am not going to worry about capitalization, etc.  I'm typing it as it's written)

bbq sauce:

cook an onion finely chopped until soft

put onions in a pot, add equal parts of light brown sugar, ketchup and apple juice (usually 2 cups is good)

add a squirt of mustard, a few dashes of worcestershire and liquid smoke

bring to a boil an simmer for 15-20 min or until it's the consistency that you want

Pork:

Put the pork in the crockpot, use 1 cup of sauce and top off with apple juice

Cook for about 8 hours

pull pork out of crock pot, discard cooking liquid

shred pork and return to crockpot, add the rest of the sauce, stir and heat until hot

Serve

Laugh all you want, but before I got a smoker, this is how I made it and it is phenomenal.

It may be good, but I can’t get past the liquid smoke.

12 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

It may be good, but I can’t get past the liquid smoke.

The last time I did a pork butt in the oven, I coated it with liquid smoke before putting on mustard and rub.  I thought it did a great job, as far as giving smokey flavor.