Cam Newton to Pats.

53 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I have to disagree. Very few players return to form after serious injury and a significant layoff. Especially QBs. 

Hopefully his OL lets him down. 

Peyton Manning the first year with the Broncos would disagree. One year removed from neck surgery he put up amazing numbers and went to the SB. He was a shell of himself 24 months later.

Criminy. WE ARE DOOMED!

I live up here in NE and spent the day in my car. They have 2 sports radio stations with 3 guys on each show at all times...Pretty much the only guy "on board" with this was Wiggy...who is a complete homer and generally changes his logic train twice in every sentence. The rest of the line ups could not make sense of the pick. Cam is generally a showboater on and off the field and a first class diva...not exactly the "Patriot Way". Cam is also a runner and gunner and is not a 70 percent accuracy guy... so...what...the Pats are going to change their offense from the last 20 years to accommodate Cam....or Cam going to change his ways to fit Pats and become a 3 step timing passer at age 31....dunno.

Contract structured to pay him nothing if he does not start - and is one year - so Pats going to reload "O" plan for 1 year?

Contract signing news released at exact same time mews release for penalty for illegal taping....Even the locals can't connect the dots on a long term success for this match up.

3 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Criminy. WE ARE DOOMED!

I live up here in NE and spent the day in my car. They have 2 sports radio stations with 3 guys on each show at all times...Pretty much the only guy "on board" with this was Wiggy...who is a complete homer and generally changes his logic train twice in every sentence. The rest of the line ups could not make sense of the pick. Cam is generally a showboater on and off the field and a first class diva...not exactly the "Patriot Way". Cam is also a runner and gunner and is not a 70 percent accuracy guy... so...what...the Pats are going to change their offense from the last 20 years to accommodate Cam....or Cam going to change his ways to fit Pats and become a 3 step timing passer at age 31....dunno.

Contract structured to pay him nothing if he does not start - and is one year - so Pats going to reload "O" plan for 1 year?

Contract signing news released at exact same time mews release for penalty for illegal taping....Even the locals can't connect the dots on a long term success for this match up.

Reasons why I think Stidham will start

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Reasons why I think Stidham will start

I’ve seen a few media types say that Cam is more of an insurance policy and they expect stidham to start. But, it makes sense for Cam because (outside of it being his only offer) it gives him the best chance to see the field and if he can stay healthy, ultimately get a bigger contract next year given the state of the QB room 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve seen a few media types say that Cam is more of an insurance policy 

That sounds like a pricey premium to pay, but much of the deal is incentive based, so maybe not? However, I suspect Cam starts from Day One. If healthy, he’s probably the guy. 

EDIT: The added bold is for @Limeaid. I heard on NFL Radio the base is low enough that they get no comp pick according to the current CBA. I assume (but don’t know for sure) that if he starts and hits the incentives they do get something if he leaves. If he plays that well,  yes, he’s cheap for the year. 

Edited by Augie

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve seen a few media types say that Cam is more of an insurance policy 

I don't think Joshie will want to change the entire offensive structure as he'd have to with Newton.  McDaniel's had time to work with T\Stidham.  I also wonder how Newton will do coming back from a Lis Franc.  Of course, with some Bills fans if our player gets a Lis Franc they will never recover, but if another guy on another team not only will he recover but he'll be All World.  

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Oh I’m not doubting they are better now, they are. I’m just not sure how much better and therefore not sure how much it really effects this Bills team.

Here’s an interesting thought experiment, which FA QB do you think would have had the most success with the Pats:  Dalton, Winston or Newton?

I'd have said Dalton.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I have come to the conclusion you are seriously mental

31 and he is entering the prime of his career?   Come on son

you must not watch a lot of NFL then

early 30's is prime years for QB's 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Motor26 said:

31 is definitely not entering their prime for any athlete.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I have come to the conclusion you are seriously mental

31 and he is entering the prime of his career?   Come on son

I think that for traditional pocket passers, one could make an argument that 30 is the prime of their career.  Raw strength (including throwing power) doesn't seem to diminish as quickly as speed does.  In addition, one has to consider the cerebral nature of quarterbacking and how much of an impact experience can have on the field.  

Fwiw, Kelly was 30 in 1990 when the Bills began their run.

Granted, Cam isn't considered a traditional pocket passer and he has his injury history.  But even some of the athletic quarterbacks can become good pocket passers.  

Edited by Capco

4 minutes ago, Capco said:

I think that for traditional pocket passers, one could make an argument that 30 is the prime of their career.  Raw strength (including throwing power) doesn't seem to diminish as quickly as speed does.  In addition, one has to consider the cerebral nature of quarterbacking and how much of impact experience can have on the field.  

Granted, Cam isn't considered a traditional pocket passer and he has his injury history.  But even some of the athletic quarterbacks can become good pocket passers.  

don't even bother with these people. half of the fans on here are literally delusional. this entire forum has gone to utter *****. 

spewing total nonsense at all times and whenever they don't like anything that doesn't fit their cozy narrative that the Bills are the best team in the league and Allen is the best QB to ever grace a football field they start throwing insults. 

Edited by Penfield45

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

That sounds like a pricey premium to pay, but much of the deal is incentive based, so maybe not? However, I suspect Cam starts from Day One. If healthy, he’s probably the guy. 

Not pricey at all.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/cam-newton-contract-patriots-deal/19kst3l1v4xqm1rxszfownonj5

According to NFL Network, Newton's one-year contract with the Patriots is "a bare minimum deal" that, if the quarterback hits incentives, will pay him up to $7.5 million in 2021.

ESPN's Adam Schefter raised an important point Sunday night in the context of the Patriots' timing, as New England will lose a 2021 third-round draft pick as part of their NFL-imposed punishment for videotaping the Bengals' sideline last year. If Newton were to start and play well enough in 2020 and then leave as a free agent the following year, the Patriots could get a 2022 compensatory pick.

So they need to show him enough (preseason maybe?) to show he is healthy and pay him as little as possible to make Richard Sherman mad.  Maybe play him week 2 so Sherman does not take it out on starting QB.

12 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

don't even bother with these people. half of the fans on here are literally delusional. this entire forum has gone to utter *****. 

spewing total nonsense at all times and whenever they don't like anything that doesn't fit their cozy narrative that the Bills are the best team in the league and Allen is the best QB to ever grace a football field they start throwing insults. 

Oh my.  Some people have a harder time with the internet than others. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If healthy, it’s Cam.  Look at what he played with Carolina.  Dude has won MVPs, Heisman, a national championship, and went 15-1 with Ted Ginn as his #1 receiver.  Besides Lamar Jackson, I don’t think there is a quarterback this board underrated more than Newton.

he is a terrible dresser though. 

He was and apparently is a very polarizing QB, much like our own Josh Allen

26 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Not when they have been beat to ***** like Cam Newton has and given the TYPE of QB he is....this is not ultra accurate the ball out instantly Tom Brady we are talking about....this is take huge hits hasnt played well in 3 years Cam Newton

I probably have years of football on you.....your takes are aweful

22 minutes ago, Capco said:

I think that for traditional pocket passers, one could make an argument that 30 is the prime of their career.  Raw strength (including throwing power) doesn't seem to diminish as quickly as speed does.  In addition, one has to consider the cerebral nature of quarterbacking and how much of an impact experience can have on the field.  

So you think he is going to change his game?

Edited by John from Riverside

It's a loose comparison, but this is Bledsoe to the Bills.

We were still trying to replace Kelly - and every single one of us talked ourselves into that being THE move.  We were back, baby.

Pats fans are doing the same right now. But like the Patriots of the early 2000's, it's our turn to be the crusher of dreams.  The Bills are the rightful heir to the AFCE throne.  No QB who refuses to dive for a fumble is gonna change that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't think Joshie will want to change the entire offensive structure as he'd have to with Newton.  McDaniel's had time to work with T\Stidham.  I also wonder how Newton will do coming back from a Lis Franc.  Of course, with some Bills fans if our player gets a Lis Franc they will never recover, but if another guy on another team not only will he recover but he'll be All World.  

You forgot word "pseudo". 

40 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

They can be prime years for cerebral QB’s,  not mutton-heads like Cam. Once the athleticism goes, they’re done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Not when they have been beat to ***** like Cam Newton has and given the TYPE of QB he is....this is not ultra accurate the ball out instantly Tom Brady we are talking about....this is take huge hits hasnt played well in 3 years Cam Newton

I probably have years of football on you.....your takes are aweful

john, you don’t get to insult anyone after your “the bills receivers are good and kelvin benjamin will ball out in a contract year” stance (yet alone several other hot takes in buffalos extreme favor). 

I think cam and BB could be an absolute tire fire with personality clashes... but the closest comparable in the league is probably Big Ben, who has been beat to hell and is 7 years older. Cams specific injuries could derail him but in general big guys that take hits and sling the ball around can still succeed.

If he flops i think it’ll be a lack of WR and personality and not that he’s too old though. 

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I'm not really sure either way.  But if anyone can do it, it's Bellichick and McDaniels.  

If I had to bet I'd say no though.