Cam Newton to Pats.

I think this is a sneaky good move by the Pats. That said the media just can't help itself these days....

https://sports.yahoo.com/welcome-to-boston-cam-newton-he-can-already-hear-the-dog-whistles-and-trite-criticism-204248832.html

Whether his career lasts one more game, one more season or a dozen more years, I hope Cam Newton never stops doing his “Superman” routine after big plays.

Because among all of his talents, Newton’s one true super power is getting people to tell on themselves.

It’s happening already in Boston.

News of Newton’s contract agreement with the New England Patriots broke on Sunday night, and by Tuesday afternoon, without Newton having touched down in Massachusetts yet — he was in Los Angeles working with one of his new teammates, Mohamed Sanu — local sports radio hosts were already pulling out the tired, lacking-in-reality, dog-whistle tropes many NFL media types have used with Newton throughout his career.

In the span of 2 minutes and 20 seconds, 98.5 The Sports Hub hosts Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti said Newton won’t go along with the Patriots’ “culture,” and Newton’s “dabbing” and “showboating” will be a problem. They intimated that a 31-year-old man won’t be able to “contain” himself on the field, took a shot at Newton’s wardrobe, said coach Bill Belichick won’t “allow” Newton’s celebrations, and for good measure brought up the brief and unsuccessful New England tenure of Chad Ochocinco and confused Brandin Cooks and Phillip Dorsett II.

Welcome to Boston, Cam....

5 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I think this is a sneaky good move by the Pats. That said the media just can't help itself these days....

https://sports.yahoo.com/welcome-to-boston-cam-newton-he-can-already-hear-the-dog-whistles-and-trite-criticism-204248832.html

Whether his career lasts one more game, one more season or a dozen more years, I hope Cam Newton never stops doing his “Superman” routine after big plays.

Because among all of his talents, Newton’s one true super power is getting people to tell on themselves.

It’s happening already in Boston.

News of Newton’s contract agreement with the New England Patriots broke on Sunday night, and by Tuesday afternoon, without Newton having touched down in Massachusetts yet — he was in Los Angeles working with one of his new teammates, Mohamed Sanu — local sports radio hosts were already pulling out the tired, lacking-in-reality, dog-whistle tropes many NFL media types have used with Newton throughout his career.

In the span of 2 minutes and 20 seconds, 98.5 The Sports Hub hosts Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti said Newton won’t go along with the Patriots’ “culture,” and Newton’s “dabbing” and “showboating” will be a problem. They intimated that a 31-year-old man won’t be able to “contain” himself on the field, took a shot at Newton’s wardrobe, said coach Bill Belichick won’t “allow” Newton’s celebrations, and for good measure brought up the brief and unsuccessful New England tenure of Chad Ochocinco and confused Brandin Cooks and Phillip Dorsett II.

Welcome to Boston, Cam....

Music to my ears!! Let the Patriots Circus begin!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/2/2020 at 10:07 AM, JoPoy88 said:

This deal has to make Cam the cheapest presumptive starting QB in the league by far, right?

I don’t know how he’s going to maintain his wardrobe for this minimum wage deal. Those fedoras and scarves do NOT come cheap! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how does that work, re the Pats salary cap? Do the incentives get counted against next year's cap?

depends if they are LTBE (likely to be earned) or not. Likely count this year but free up rollover if unearned. NLTBE do not count this year but if earned count next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bill Belichick was not about to go into this year rolling over.

Figured if nothing else, he would have his defense ready to play lights out.

I would think that Bill would love nothing more than proving he (not Brady) is the secret sauce for the Pats. Winning without Tom would help to do just that.

Not sure how much Cam has left in the tank, but if anyone knows his blind/weak spots it would be McDermott.

Had a dream the Bills were playing the Pat's last night... Only remember one play... Cam threw a short pass over the middle and it was tipped.... our linebacker almost picked it and it bounced into another crossing receiver who made a net 2 yard gain on the play. 

Things are looking up.

Edited by akcash

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t know how he’s going to maintain his wardrobe for this minimum wage deal. Those fedoras and scarves do NOT come cheap! 

St. Vincent de Paul thrift store.  A step up in chic and style from the Sally Ann and Goodwill.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:13 AM, Billl said:

Where did this idiotic narrative about Cam not being able to stay healthy come from?  He got injured last season.  Prior to that, he missed 5 starts in his entire 8 year career.  Josh missed that many his rookie season and was knocked out of another last year.  Anyone who thinks NE didn't improve their chances of winning the division with this move is delusional.  He’s not great, but he’s absolutely proven himself to be a legit starting QB in the league, and no other QB in the division can say that.

Say what you want... his last couple years I didn’t see the same Cam everyone is preaching about being MVP. I saw a QB struggling in the pocket, I saw a QB who showed inability to make people miss, I saw a QB holding onto the ball to long, I saw a QB with accuracy problems, I saw a QB short arming most his passes due to injury, I saw a QB who deep ball was crap.... Cam hasn’t played solid football for nearly 3 straight seasons.

But now cause he’s “100%” he’s gonna step right in a lead that team to a division title... I see things a little different that’s it. I think he will be rusty, I think he will struggle with timing, New England’s OL is weak, Erhardt Perkins offense is tough and takes a smart QB, colder weather I think will slow him down in the winter, I don’t think he will win over the locker room like Brady, I don’t think those coaches can change him, I see him losing and being, well Cam. 

Im not saying they aren’t better with Cam, I’m just not buying into all the Hype and I think Stidham will push him...

On 7/3/2020 at 10:51 PM, WideNine said:

Bill Belichick was not about to go into this year rolling over.

Figured if nothing else, he would have his defense ready to play lights out.

I would think that Bill would love nothing more than proving he (not Brady) is the secret sauce for the Pats. Winning without Tom would help to do just that.

Not sure how much Cam has left in the tank, but if anyone knows his blind/weak spots it would be McDermott.

Maybe it’s PTSD, but it feels like BB has wet dreams of signing a guy like Cam off the streets, then having him beat up on his old DC in a division rivalry. 

Then a stoic post game presser saying something like “All the credit to Coach McDermott. They do a great job and show up prepared. We knew how ready they would be for what Cam could do, And we know what a quality unit he has there in Buffalo. We knew we had to be ready for today. Our guys put in the work today. Of course you’d like some plays back, but we made enough of them today. On to Baltimore”

All after CN drops 350, 2PTD, 82 yards on the ground and 1 RTD. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:10 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Blame the GM and coaching staff for failing to pull the trigger quickly the way Arizona did on Josh Rosen or the Panthers did on Jimmy Clausen or the Jaguars did on Jimmy Clausen or the Broncos did on Paxton Lynch. Those organizations pulled the trigger quick. Not EJ's fault OBD didn't.

I would argue the Bills DID pull trigger quickly. He was benched after 15 starts with 16 TDs, 12 ints, and 3 game winning drives.  The Bills were 2-2 at the time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I would argue the Bills DID pull trigger quickly. He was benched after 15 starts with 16 TDs, 12 ints, and 3 game winning drives.  The Bills were 2-2 at the time.

I wish the Bills would have pulled the trigger quicker we wouldn’t have to replace a hospitality tent 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Hindsight being 20/20, this was still the right call. Not his fault he was drafted too high with commensurate expectations, but proof is in the pudding that he never established himself anywhere post-Buffalo before retiring. 

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Cam Newton: "I'm tired if being humble."

Hmm. Never seemed like the humble type to me.

I think he’s been pretty quiet the last few years.  He definitely got completely boned by the Panthers when they released him after FA started.  But he was pretty quiet about it.

that said, if I was his agent, I’d just say stay silent, put the work in, and make your play do the talking.  

• Like (+1) 1