Cam Newton to Pats.

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

I’m having trouble finding the information about when signings are no longer counted in the comp pick calculations. 

I suspect the Cam signing was well past the deadline but can anyone confirm?

if so, the 3rd they’re going to get for Brady leaving was salvaged on the same day they lost a 3rd for cheating. 

huh? The question was who is going to win the division. Nothing was said about playoffs. It’s easier to make the playoffs now with an extra wild card team. Another statement that has nothing to do with the question. 

It actually doesn’t matter either way with Cam. The deadline is past for UFA signings to count toward the comp pick formula, but Cam was released so he didn’t count anyway. If they let him walk after this season though and he signs a decent deal they could net a comp pick for him in 2022

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is a shrewd move by the Pats. Cam when healthy is a good QB, borderline top 10 QB in recent seasons even if he has fallen off since his MVP form. The issue is that Cam simply hasn't been able to stay healthy. But for the Pats they are desperate at QB and this is the type of chance they should take. 

52 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This is a shrewd move by the Pats. Cam when healthy is a good QB, borderline top 10 QB in recent seasons even if he has fallen off since his MVP form. The issue is that Cam simply hasn't been able to stay healthy. But for the Pats they are desperate at QB and this is the type of chance they should take. 

He hasn't been close to being a top 10 passer since the SB, so to get to that level he needs to be an effective runner.  But is that still realistic at 31 after all the hits he's absorbed?  I'm not buying it.

He'll have his moments, but NE* fans used to seeing a weekly miracle are going to be disappointed.

He has thrown with a hitch for the last two seasons after his shoulder injury. Whether that is mental or physical I’m going to assume it’s still a problem. Why else would a 31 year old former MVP sign for peanuts?

Cam will have value at that price even if it’s just as a situational player. 

2015 Cam isn’t showing up, 2020 Cam might still be better than Stidham. 

Value signing and a distraction from the punishment for cheating, again. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

He has thrown with a hitch for the last two seasons after his shoulder injury. Whether that is mental or physical I’m going to assume it’s still a problem. Why else would a 31 year old former MVP sign for peanuts?

Cam will have value at that price even if it’s just as a situational player. 

2015 Cam isn’t showing up, 2020 Cam might still be better than Stidham. 

Value signing and a distraction from the punishment for cheating, again. 

All true. I’ll get scared of this when I see Cam at 100% 2015 Cam. Until I see that, to me this is Bill picking up scraps.

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Do you see a lot of evidence to contradict that statement?

If so, I'd be curious to know what it is.

McD is 0-6 against BB.  I guess if he plays enough games he has to win one of them at some point.  Or does he?

I guess will find out how good BB really is WITHOUT Brady 

12 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I love the condescending “huh” followed by a comment that completely misses the point. Embarrassing every time. 

McD is 0-6 against BB. McD can go 0-8 against BB and still win the division. One does not equal the other. It therefore does not follow that them not being able to beat BB means its still the same old Bills. 

Last season was probably the first time McDermott had a team that could beat the Pats. This year he has a team that should beat the Pats. His first two years here he had no shot.

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Do you see a lot of evidence to contradict that statement?

If so, I'd be curious to know what it is.

McD is 0-6 against BB.  I guess if he plays enough games he has to win one of them at some point.  Or does he?

It was lazy to me. I usually look at the current rosters and coaching staffs and go from there when I assess the upcoming season. He didn’t provide any evidence about these 2020 teams. He provided evidence about previous teams. He is leaning a lot on belichick being the deciding factor especially considering he thought they would win the division with stidham. It’s a big factor, as he’s the best Head coach in the league Imo. But it’s not a great roster and lacks blue chip talent (and depth, which will be especially critical this year) so he will need to show he can win the division without Brady. He hasn’t done that yet. Imo, the division is wide open this year. I’m not saying the Bills will win it. But I’m definitely not saying they are going to lose it because “they are the Bills” or the Pats will win because “they are the Pats”

15 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I love the condescending “huh” followed by a comment that completely misses the point. Embarrassing every time. 

McD is 0-6 against BB. McD can go 0-8 against BB and still win the division. One does not equal the other. It therefore does not follow that them not being able to beat BB means its still the same old Bills. 

I believe the record is 0-0 for McD vs BB without Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2020 at 11:16 PM, Gugny said:

Cam isn't going to have Sean McDermott and Brian Daboll.  I find it funny how people can't see that a rested, hungry and very capable QB just joined the best-coached team in the NFL.

I still think the Bills are better.  But it's not by a long shot, by any means.

Probably the best coached team in any sport ever.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

He hasn't been close to being a top 10 passer since the SB, so to get to that level he needs to be an effective runner.  But is that still realistic at 31 after all the hits he's absorbed?  I'm not buying it.

He'll have his moments, but NE* fans used to seeing a weekly miracle are going to be disappointed.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00/gamelog/2018/

he got injured in the Pittsburgh game.  He was in the MVP conversation before that.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article220789435.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/31056/cam-newton-should-be-among-front-runners-at-qb-in-mvp-race%3fplatform=amp

Edited by C.Biscuit97

On 6/30/2020 at 9:20 AM, BuffaloMatt said:

One guy is an outlier. Name another. 

Drew Brees, Kurt Warner and somehow Teddy Bridgewater appears to be better than he's ever been.

It's rare, but it happens. I also don't think Cam's injury was as traumatic as Manning, Brees, Bridgewater, but more lingering like Warner.

25 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Drew Brees, Kurt Warner and somehow Teddy Bridgewater appears to be better than he's ever been.

It's rare, but it happens. I also don't think Cam's injury was as traumatic as Manning, Brees, Bridgewater, but more lingering like Warner.

Bridgewater would have been a great fit in NE. 

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I think you need to consider what a dumpster fire of an organization Carolina is. No matter what kind of talent they've had, they always seem to disappoint. You're spot on that this won't be some perfect season for the Pats with non-stop come from behind victories, but if they protect him from having to do it all himself with a great running game and top notch defense, he'll have the talent to load up the scoreboard when they need him to.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bridgewater would have been a great fit in NE. 

well somehow he got $21M after a nice outing but not a lot of history that shows he's a top-tier talent. NE couldn't afford that

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Lis Franc,  Shoulder and getting his bell rung too many times to mention. We will see.