Cam Newton to Pats.

28 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I mean, yea Cam makes the Pats better but they literally had the worst QB room in the NFL, so that wasn’t hard to do. How much better they are depends on what version of Cam they are getting.

I’m still not seeing how Cams personality and way he works, fits with BB. It’ll interesting to say the least. Maybe it works, I guess we will find out.

That was pretty much my reaction - which version of Cam are they getting?

And do McDaniels/Belicheck intend to mold their offense to his skill set, or do they intend to try to mold Newton to their offense?

I could be mistaken, but I kind of had the impression that Newton was and is a fierce competitor, but that

1) he wasn't perhaps the guy you could sit down with a huge playbook that has a lot of nuance and expect great results.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

2) he wasn't (maybe isn't) the kind of guy you plug neatly into "The Patriot Way".  He likes to run his mouth.

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

The thought of the Pats going down in flames with Stidham just isn’t as funny as it is with Cam. Stidham isn’t even meh.

Just remember that Belicheck has a history of getting some good performance out of pretty lukewarm QBs (Cassel would have to be the poster child)

29 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I mean, yea Cam makes the Pats better but they literally had the worst QB room in the NFL, so that wasn’t hard to do. How much better they are depends on what version of Cam they are getting.

I’m still not seeing how Cams personality and way he works, fits with BB. It’ll interesting to say the least. Maybe it works, I guess we will find out.

Power run game. BB will churn and burn him on this one year deal. 

Edited by BuffaloMatt

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Idk why almost everyone in this board is scared of a 31 year old banged and bruised up cam Newton who hasn’t done a damn thing since he got embarrassed by the broncos defense in that Super Bowl back in 15

He was off to the best season of his career in 2028 until he got hurt.

they went from Stidham/ Hoyer to adding a former MVP who if healthy has been a top 10 QBs.  Watch the Vegas odds shift.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was off to the best season of his career in 2028 until he got hurt.

they went from Stidham/ Hoyer to adding a former MVP who if healthy has been a top 10 QBs.  Watch the Vegas odds shift.

2028?  You got a time machine?

I think that "until he got hurt" or "until...." anything is pretty thin football ice to tread.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Oh I’m not doubting they are better now, they are. I’m just not sure how much better and therefore not sure how much it really effects this Bills team.

Here’s an interesting thought experiment, which FA QB do you think would have had the most success with the Pats:  Dalton, Winston or Newton?

If healthy, it’s Cam.  Look at what he played with Carolina.  Dude has won MVPs, Heisman, a national championship, and went 15-1 with Ted Ginn as his #1 receiver.  Besides Lamar Jackson, I don’t think there is a quarterback this board underrated more than Newton.

he is a terrible dresser though. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2028?  You got a time machine?

I think that "until he got hurt" or "until...." anything is pretty thin football ice to tread.

2018.  And I think it is pretty much on record that he got hurt in the Pittsburgh game that year.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/carolina-panthers/cam-newton-injury-history-patriots-signing/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/carolina-panthers/cam-newton-injury-history-patriots-signing/amp

he still completed 68% of his passes for the best OC he ever had.  I think McDaniels is overrated but he’s arguably the best OC Cam has ever had.  

24 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Oh I’m not doubting they are better now, they are. I’m just not sure how much better and therefore not sure how much it really effects this Bills team.

Here’s an interesting thought experiment, which FA QB do you think would have had the most success with the Pats:  Dalton, Winston or Newton?

1) Newton

2) Dalton

3) Winston

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Cam is 2-0 against the Pats with the Panthers, not too many other QBs can say that if any. No surprise if BB likes him.

To be honest, I think this is actually a big thing.  I think BB likes to go after people he has trouble defending against.

Makes the Pats instantly better than what we all thought they would be, but Cam Newton is not what he used to be, especially with all the injuries. He seems to have lost weight to me as well.

I think he'll get injured and miss time. And even if he doesn't he has never been a great passer and he isn't the runner he once was.

Good signing by the Pats but they are still beatable. Their offense still lacks firepower and they lost some food players on defense.

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

To be honest, I think this is actually a big thing.  I think BB likes to go after people he has trouble defending against.

We better watch out because he loves Hyde and Poyer. Especially Hyde.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I am not that cynical but I don’t think this just popped up either. I think they knew Cam was going to be their guy if healthy.

I have now heard that the Cam announcement happened 17 minutes after the punishment announcement. I have not verified that, but they either work really, REALLY fast, or they’ve been sitting on this to get the media talking about something else. I have to give them credit, because it worked. How long did they sit on it? No way to answer that, but Cam made sense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

He lowered his asking price. Had to check his ego and now is added to a long list of NFL talent whose skills are in the decline that choose to go to NE with the hopes of obtaining the coveted SB Ring. Unfortunately for Cam, Marcia left. 

Cam is 31 ...he is literally entering his prime right now. 

by the time the pre-season starts he will have a full year of recovery, longer than he has ever had. A resurgent Cam with that patriots defense is an instant SB contender. 

11 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

by the time the pre-season starts he will have a full year of recovery, longer than he has ever had. A resurgent Cam with that patriots defense is an instant SB contender. 

31 is definitely not entering their prime for any athlete.

25 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I have to disagree. Very few players return to form after serious injury and a significant layoff. Especially QBs. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree which makes me wonder if he’s still healthy by the time we play them week 8

Hopefully his OL lets him down. 

15 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

31 is definitely not entering their prime for any athlete.

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I have to disagree. Very few players return to form after serious injury and a significant layoff. Especially QBs. 

Once he gets that TB12 (hgh) treatment, he will be like he was when he entered the league. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

2018.  And I think it is pretty much on record that he got hurt in the Pittsburgh game that year.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/carolina-panthers/cam-newton-injury-history-patriots-signing/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/carolina-panthers/cam-newton-injury-history-patriots-signing/amp

he still completed 68% of his passes for the best OC he ever had.  I think McDaniels is overrated but he’s arguably the best OC Cam has ever had.  

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear about my point.   I wasn't questioning when he got hurt.

My point is that one can find a lot of players who are having "the best year of their career until....." (something)

But what would have happened if they didn't (get paid, get hurt, lose their best WR, whatever it is)?  The reason a lot of people are skeptical of player improvement is that a lot of times, a player has a hot streak and then "regresses to the(ir) mean"

I'm sure the Pats hope they're getting a guy whose shoulder and arm are back up to par and who is hungry to compete for a championship/earn a big payday.  But the 2017 Cam was <60% completions, <3400 yds, 22 TD 16 INTs, 35 sacks over 16 games.

Is that enough?

"Best OC" is a question of context.

41 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I have come to the conclusion you are seriously mental

31 and he is entering the prime of his career?   Come on son

• Like (+1) 2