Cam Newton to Pats.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  However, the Patriots have Belichick, and Belichick always finds a way. 

Let's keep in mind that their perennial OC, McDaniels, drafted Tebow to be the QB of the future.  Cam is a much better QB, though he has lost his ability to run. I think McD knows just what he wants to do with Cam.  In addition, McD built an offense for Brady--the quick passing game; there is not reason to think he doesn't have other offenses in his bag. 

That said, it will be a competition.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he gets cut. No meaningful training camp, barely a month or two to learn the offense. I just don't see him getting acclimated quick enough.  

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Bills offense needs to step up. It won't be easy since NE's defense is tough. The Bills at worst need to go 1-1 against the Pats if they want to win the division. I think they have the team to finally do that this year.

Agree. All the pieces are there. It’s 75% on Allen and 15% on Daboll and 10% on McD to get the offense to produce more points.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Let's keep in mind that their perennial OC, McDaniels, drafted Tebow to be the QB of the future.  Cam is a much better QB, though he has lost his ability to run. I think McD knows just what he wants to do with Cam.  In addition, McD built an offense for Brady--the quick passing game; there is not reason to think he doesn't have other offenses in his bag. 

That said, it will be a competition.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he gets cut. No meaningful training camp, barely a month or two to learn the offense. I just don't see him getting acclimated quick enough.  

Why? He is an 8 year veteran and had no problem learning an NFL offense as a rookie. 

23 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is all right on on the money.  Belichick may have a top 10 offense with Newton. He may cut Newton and have a top 10 offense with Hoyer.  Or anything in between.  

The only thing I'm confident of is that with Brady at QB, they were liable to do anything at any time.  Newton does offer different options, but the offense will be more limited with him at the helm.  He is not and never will be the master quarterback Brady is. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guys, the Pats lost 3 of their starters on defense.  That’s 28%.  They won on defense, and the run game even though they threw a lot.  It was one of Brady’s worst throwing years and they didn’t add a lot of offensive weapons.  The Bills will be fine.  Newton had multiple injuries and is 31, not the 26 year old who went to the SB.  

I will bet a plug nickel (if I knew what that was but my Dad says it) the Bills are 1-1 with the Pats, and sweep the rest of the division.  That’s 5-1 and we finish 11-5 and win the division.  No more running down the hall with the house on fire stuff.  Everyone knows on this board what Allen has done in improvements, and the team.  We finally have a near complete team, but really no one has one.  There are always things could’ve better.  We have the most continuity if starters in the NFL, I thought at 86 or 88%. Brady was a bigger threat to us with the quick release and knowing when to throw it away, not to mention his accuracy and anticipation.

people go bananas about Allen’s (not most of you) at almost 59%, but Newton only had above 60% 3 of his 9 years, and only 1 above 62%. He’s slower at this point than Allen, and more beat up.  We will be fine.  We will be fine Danya San.

Just show me Sand the floor, wax on, wax off.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Again..... if the Bills are the team we've all been talking them up to be, does this move really move the needle that far? Makes the road tougher for sure, but I STILL expect our team to win the division. This just doesn't sway the expectations of my team that much. IMO it takes the Pats from 5-7 wins to 9 or 10.

They still havnt added any real firepower on offense. They still have the toughest schedule in the league as of now. And i'm sorry but i'm not expecting that defense to be nearly as dominant again after the lost of 3 prominent players in the front 7. Does anyone think they are gonna go ahead and score 7 non-offensive td's again in 2020? 

I personally just cant get too worked up over this signing. Still expecting buffalo to take the division because newton doesn't change how good I expect buffalo to be.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree. All the pieces are there. It’s 75% on Allen and 15% on Daboll and 10% on McD to get the offense to produce more points.

Why? He is an 8 year veteran and had no problem learning an NFL offense as a rookie. 

Really? Like, are you asking for examples, or do you just dispute that NFL offenses vary in difficulty?  

Cam Newton's reported Patriots salary appears to irk 49ers' Richard Sherman

The veteran took issue with the quarterback's reported salary

I do not recall him every complaining that T*m Br*dy was being underpaid.

Is he going to put his money where his mouth is (He could fit entire moneybag in it) and petition NFL to give some of his salary to Newton?

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is all right on on the money.  Belichick may have a top 10 offense with Newton. He may cut Newton and have a top 10 offense with Hoyer.  Or anything in between.  

The only thing I'm confident of is that with Brady at QB, they were liable to do anything at any time.  Newton does offer different options, but the offense will be more limited with him at the helm.  He is not and never will be the master quarterback Brady is. 

I feel like BB has signed a number of big name WRs over the years who just didn't "get it."  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Cam didn't "get it," especially with the limited learning curve.  Boy I hope that is the case. We will see. 

I think Cam obviously makes the division tougher with the Pats having an experienced QB at the helm, however it was so tough to beat the Pats because of two things...

Brady knows where to go with the ball in .002 seconds - It was next to impossible to pressure him.

Brady doesn't make mistakes - If you stop their drive short of points, it's usually because they are punting.  

Cam gives them experience, and, if healthy, some talent, but he's not the same QB he was 5 years ago and there's a reason he signed a bare minimum, incentive-laced deal.

The Patriots obviously knew Stidham wasn’t the answer. They were just monitoring the Cam situation until he was healthier and cheaper. We aren’t far removed from Cam playing good football. Before he got hurt in 2018 his numbers were actually ahead of his MVP year. If he’s healthy the Patriots are relevant again. Healthy Cam >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stidham

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't get the move.  Cam and Belichick strikes me as an exceedingly poor personality fit.  How is Cam going to respond when football isn't fun?  Cam's game is the antithesis of what Belichick has said matters most in a QB. Quick processing, good decisions, and take care of the football.  New England's QB room is straight up weird right now.  Cam, Stidham, and Hoyer.  One of these things is not like the other.  

If Brady couldn't sustain drives with the talent in New England given his decade in the system I don't see how Cam is going to do any better even IF Cam is somewhere near healthy.  

New England's offense has centered around the quick passing attack for years.  Edelman's game is built on those rub routes and Brady knowing where he is at all times.  His value plummets without Brady and that scheme.  Cam played most of his career with trash WRs so maybe the Pats prize his experience in that area?

The move strikes me as a team desperately trying to keep their competitive window open one more year rather than a team thinking about the future.  The only way I see Cam as a good fit is IF he buys into the Patriot Way and IF he is healthy enough to bring his athleticism and physicality to that offense as a dual threat QB.  Cam has ankle injuries and a nasty shoulder injury which has plagued him for 2 seasons now.  If he isn't completely healed from both injuries I don't see this going well.  

Worth noting that Cam has 3 winning seasons in his 9 year career. 

I tend to agree with you and it seems that BB has blinked.  I don't see him staying through a complete rookie QB rebuild so Cam/Stidham is all he has left.

As for Cam, his MVP year (actually his entire career) he had Olsen as his TE.  Greg Olsen tore it up his MVP year and NE has no proven TE on the team.

A lot will depend on the 2 rookie 3rd rounders they drafted and whether or not Cam and Edelman can get their timing down which is a question mark.

I'm still predicting Edelman will be throwing his helmet on the sidelines this season!

NE starts with MIA, SEA, LV, KC and DEN before their bye week so we will all know by then.

I still see them at 2-3 at their bye.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Patriots obviously knew Stidham wasn’t the answer. They were just monitoring the Cam situation until he was healthier and cheaper. We aren’t far removed from Cam playing good football. Before he got hurt in 2018 his numbers were actually ahead of his MVP year. If he’s healthy the Patriots are relevant again. Healthy Cam >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stidham

When do you think they decided? I think it may have been a while ago, and they waited until the CHEATING penalty was announced to give the media something else to talk about. Curious timing here, I think it’s no coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills D handled Brady fine last year and went 0-2.

If Allen can't outplay Cam who according to this forum is no longer a top QB, then I struggle to see how folks on here can defend him anymore. 

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

I wonder if he makes the team.  Cam doesn’t have the capacity for that team or system.  

At best, I give it one full season and the Pats go full power run game 

Knowing Belichick's strick intolerance for theatrics and deviating from The Patriot Way, I think this has greater potential to be "One and Done" than a long term prospect. Obviously Newton catching fire could cause Belichick to overlook some things, but as you said, he hasn't made the team or been named starting quarterback. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

When do you think they decided? I think it may have been a while ago, and they waited until the CHEATING penalty was announced to give the media something else to talk about. Curious timing here, I think it’s no coincidence. 

I was thinking the same thing! Leave it up to the Dark Lord to camouflage the cheating penalty story with an even bigger one!!

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

I wonder if he makes the team.  Cam doesn’t have the capacity for that team or system.  

At best, I give it one full season and the Pats go full power run game 

how delusional do you have to be to ask if Cam is going to make the team or not? lol

For all you know the Patriots have changed their entire offense to tailor Cam. already been confirmed that this signing has been in the process for a while. 

6 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

how delusional do you have to be to ask if Cam is going to make the team or not? lol

For all you know the Patriots have changed their entire offense to tailor Cam. already been confirmed that this signing has been in the process for a while. 

image.jpeg.c99ecdbaed3484776dc9b50de659f85f.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1