NBA players to wear monitoring rings

Weren't they called 'Mood Rings' back in the 70s?

If the 5 players touch the rings together, do they become the 'SuperCeltics', or similar?  Each with their own superpower?  Someone call Hanna-Barbera!

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Didn't merit another post. ?
  • Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This virus is real, and it can be dangerous, but some parts our reaction to it are taking on a “Scarlet Letter”, Salem witch trial feeling to me. 

No one is getting burned at the stake or branded if they get COVID.  But billions of dollars are at stake and athletes, and people in general, just don't listen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I actually have used an Oura ring for awhile. It's nothing magical, it's basically just a Fitbit or Apple Watch that also tracks heart rate variability. It's a cool device but I'm skeptical they've been reliably able to identify signals/indicators of COVID (they've been collecting data to  try and do so since ~April)

Edited by disco

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If the 5 players touch the rings together, do they become the 'SuperCeltics', or similar?  Each with their own superpower?  Someone call Hanna-Barbera!

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, disco said:

I actually have used an Oura ring for awhile. It's nothing magical, it's basically just a Fitbit or Apple Watch that also tracks heart rate variability. It's a cool device but I'm skeptical they've been reliably able to identify signals/indicators of COVID (they've been collecting data to  try and do so since ~April)

I was trying to invest in it assuming that it will jump in value with the exposure from the NBA. It’s not publicly traded though (at least that I’m aware of).

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Apparently this is a real product from a Swedish company called Oura, but all it does is monitor pulse, temperatures, sleep, and “heart activity” whatever that means

As to whether that data correlates meaningfully to a viral infection that may be mild enough so as not to cause symptoms in many people, who knows?  No one in the medical field, certainly.  It’s been established that internet-connected thermometers can find flu outbreaks in communities weeks before the surveillance results are in....but those are people showing symptoms (fevers).

But the NBA just made that company rich - “Merry Christmas!”

2 hours ago, disco said:

Thought it also detects temperature?  My Fitbit HR does heart rate.....

Concur on the skepticism.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thought it also detects temperature?  My Fitbit HR does heart rate.....

Concur on the skepticism.

Oops you're right forgot it does body temperature too which may be unique vs other trackers. Does the Fitbit HR do heart rate variability? I thought that was the difference vs just heart rate but could be wrong. It's sleep tracking is also quite good, though most of the recommendations from sleep are based off the trends in heart rate variability and changes in body temp as you sleep.

I did since read Oura is claiming their study has been 90% accurate in predicting covid positive at least 24 hours prior to symptoms. So maybe I'm not giving them enough credit but I'm going to stay skeptical. No downside to it I guess.

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

What’s next, ankle bracelets?

NFL and Houston Astros have those all sewn up.

9 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I sure would have appreciated a short little article explaining the technology of the thing rather than a video with loud obnoxious music that had virtually no information.

Marketing in the early 2000s.  ?

11 hours ago, wppete said:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b3a09ed7374f36ec65c

i was waiting for this from you. Can you explain why, exactly (using your words, this time little guy, not a sheep gif) you have such a distrust of people smarter than you? Do they threaten you? Frighten you even? 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Wonder Twin Powers activate!  OMG, I haven’t thought about mood rings since I was in elementary school.  I can’t remember the colors what they symbolized, but I thought red was you’re pissed off, and purple at peace or something.  Ridgeway, we’re showing our age brother.  Now I need to go to watch an episode of Happy Days.

On channel 29.