Rank the AFC East coaches since BB came to New England

5 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Only a delusional Jets fan would put Wrex at the top of that list.

Which one of those legendary head coaches would you put ahead of him?

The only coaches on the list with playoff wins since 2000 are Rex, Wanny, and Herm Edwards.

Edited by JetsFan20

I would take the Bills current head coach above Ryan without question, for one. Playoff wins is your criteria?  Stop living in the past of questionable glory.   I know this about Rex:  He destroyed the Bills in his time here.  He is in the bottom 5 of coaches here easily all time and we have had some bad ones.  I repeat: Only a Jets fan would take him seriously.  Just because he is the best of a horrible lot your team has had, including the incompetent fool currently coaching the Jets, does not make him good.

It’s hard to even measure anyone from about 2005 until Pegula bought the team.  Ralph’s main goal during that time wasn’t winning games. Marrone probably the best during that lost era.  It’s hard to bash Jauron and Gailey because of what they were dealing with.  That makes Greggo and Rex the bottom 2 with slight edge to Greggo as the worst.  

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Why not a thread on ranking on cheating?

Yes! Cheating, purposefully cheating on an organizational level, cheating, and having been caught repeatedly doing so.

Its a one team answer: the New England Patriots of course, hands down winners.

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

I would take the Bills current head coach above Ryan without question, for one. Playoff wins is your criteria?  Stop living in the past of questionable glory.   I know this about Rex:  He destroyed the Bills in his time here.  He is in the bottom 5 of coaches here easily all time and we have had some bad ones.  I repeat: Only a Jets fan would take him seriously.  Just because he is the best of a horrible lot your team has had, including the incompetent fool currently coaching the Jets, does not make him good.

He’s a flawed head coach, but he’s been the most successful AFC East coach outside of BB since 2000. You may think McDermott is the better coach and he may be, but his resume isn’t better than Rex as of today. 

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Only a delusional Jets fan would put Wrex at the top of that list.

For the Jets, Wrex was their best HC since BB took over in NE.  Now for us Bills fans, he was probably the worst, or very close to it.

• Like (+1) 2

Rex's downfall was he was too stubborn with his system (which had been figured out by many teams before he got to Buffalo) to play to our defensive strengths.  M. Williams, Hughes, Dareus, and K. Williams had 40 sacks total in 2014.  They had 11 total in 2015.  It's a shame too because Taylor and Shady in Greg Roman's system with an elite defense could've made some noise in the playoffs.  He then scapegoated his failures by releasing Mario and firing Roman after the Bills gave up 37 points to the Fitzpatrick led Jets.  There was also this embarrassing headline just to show you how little he paid attention to the details.

Rex Ryan unhappy Chiefs’ video board didn’t show some replays

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Rex's downfall was he was too stubborn with his system (which had been figured out by many teams before he got to Buffalo) to play to our defensive strengths.  M. Williams, Hughes, Dareus, and K. Williams had 40 sacks total in 2014.  They had 11 total in 2015.  It's a shame too because Taylor and Shady in Greg Roman's system with an elite defense could've made some noise in the playoffs.  He then scapegoated his failures by releasing Mario and firing Roman after the Bills gave up 37 points to the Fitzpatrick led Jets.  There was also this embarrassing headline just to show you how little he paid attention to the details.

Rex Ryan unhappy Chiefs’ video board didn’t show some replays

Rex actually put together a pretty good coaching staff with Anthony Lynn and Greg Roman. Big upgrade from Doug Marrone and Nathanial Hackett. 

Also Mario and Kyle were at the end of their careers when Rex got there and Dareus has always been a slug. It’s possible that those guys play diminished organically. 

12 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Rex actually put together a pretty good coaching staff with Anthony Lynn and Greg Roman. Big upgrade from Doug Marrone and Nathanial Hackett. 

Also Mario and Kyle were at the end of their careers when Rex got there and Dareus has always been a slug. It’s possible that those guys play diminished organically. 

A regression to the mean was pry expected but to go from 40 to 11 is on coaching.  He did put together a good coaching staff which is why I said his downfall was being too stubborn with his defensive scheme.  He had Dareus and M. Williams publicly complaining that they had to drop back in coverage for crying out loud.

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

Marrone should be higher too.

McD

Marrone

Wade

Gailey

Jauron

Mularkey

Gregggggg

Rexit

Wade much better then Marrone.  The 1998 and 1999 Bills teams were very good w excellent defenses.  Flutie was awesome at QB.  Those teams were much better then Marrone's teams.  Rex was terrible and didn't care.  McDermott has done a good job.  But the offense has to bump its play up several notches to be a Super Bowl contender.  

13 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

You are just saying that because you hate Rex. He did a bad job with the defense, but any team with Tyrod Taylor is pretty limited. 

He did a bad job with everything here except his hire of Greg Roman. And he even managed to screw that up. 

7 hours ago, Foxx said:

my question is... did Rex even coach when he was here? it sure as hell didn't seem like it.

There wasn't any evidence of it on the field. It wasn't just that he tore up one of the best defenses in the league..... he failed to teach them the scheme he wanted to replace it with

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wade much better then Marrone.  The 1998 and 1999 Bills teams were very good w excellent defenses.  Flutie was awesome at QB.  Those teams were much better then Marrone's teams.  Rex was terrible and didn't care.  McDermott has done a good job.  But the offense has to bump its play up several notches to be a Super Bowl contender.  

So I think in this context we are discounting Wade's pre-Brady teams. So only his 8-8 in his final year is in scope. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

He’s a flawed head coach, but he’s been the most successful AFC East coach outside of BB since 2000. You may think McDermott is the better coach and he may be, but his resume isn’t better than Rex as of today. 

I am fine with Rex being top of the list. He made two AFCCGs with your lot which is easily the most success anyone aside from Belichick has had. That said it is only, and I mean only, for his job with the Jets. For his job in Buffalo I'd have Rex ranked dead last. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Which one of those legendary head coaches would you put ahead of him?

The only coaches on the list with playoff wins since 2000 are Rex, Wanny, and Herm Edwards.

Wrex made the most of what Mangini built.  He had flaws too, but if you want to go back to any coach who was worth it in the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets is Parcells.  Oh maybe Belicheck, but then he was there for a cup of coffee.  That must have sucked.  ?

21 hours ago, FireChans said:

Marrone should be higher too.

McD

Marrone

Wade

Gailey

Jauron

Mularkey

Gregggggg

Rexit

Marrone is an asshat just like Williams.  They are basically the same guy.  Give Marrone 100 years and he would never go anywhere.  I can see having him above Mularkey but that is as high as I'll go.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There wasn't any evidence of it on the field. It wasn't just that he tore up one of the best defenses in the league..... he failed to teach them the scheme he wanted to replace it with

So I think in this context we are discounting Wade's pre-Brady teams. So only his 8-8 in his final year is in scope. 

Yes the 8-8 team was a disappointment.  But looking closer I remember the downfall of that team came in week 12 at Tampa Bay.  We were 7-4 and playing a good Bucs team.  We were playing well in that game and then got hit w a bunch of big injuries late in the game including a bad knee or achilles injury to Sam Cowart.  (start of the end of his career)  And ended up losing the game.  And the season went downhill from there.  And then the wheels came off after Donahoe was hired, and he brought in Greg Williams as head coach.  The second half in that Tampa game sent us spiraling into the abys.  From the mouth of Paup!

my ranking.  

1) Sean McDermott

2) D Marrone

3) M Mularkey

4) Chan Gailey

5) Wade Phillips 

6) Dick Jauron

7) Greg Williams

8 ) Rex Ryan

For Bills

McD is by far the best.  Greg Williams and Rex Ryan both were absolutely horrendous for the Bills. Everyone else jumbles together 

Miami Dolphins 

1) Dave Wannstedt 

2) Tony Sparano

3) Brian Flores

4) Joe Philbin

5) Adam Gase

6) Nick Saban

7) Cam Cameron

Wow. the Dolphins actually have a worse collection of under performers than the Bills.  Saban is obviously a better coach than the rest. But he did a lot of damage to the Fish

NY Jets

1) Rex Ryan

2) Herm Edwards

3) Eric Mangini

4) Al Groh

5) Adam Gase

6) Todd Bowles

On 6/28/2020 at 4:55 PM, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

What a bunch of turds there.

And that’s why the Black and Brown community is pissed at the NFL. Look at all those crappy coaches that got second chances or were on their second chance from that list. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

my ranking.  

1) Sean McDermott

2) D Marrone

3) M Mularkey

4) Chan Gailey

5) Wade Phillips 

6) Dick Jauron

7) Greg Williams

8 ) Rex Ryan

For Bills

McD is by far the best.  Greg Williams and Rex Ryan both were absolutely horrendous for the Bills. Everyone else jumbles together 

Miami Dolphins 

1) Dave Wannstedt 

2) Tony Sparano

3) Brian Flores

4) Joe Philbin

5) Adam Gase

6) Nick Saban

7) Cam Cameron

Wow. the Dolphins actually have a worse collection of under performers than the Bills.  Saban is obviously a better coach than the rest. But he did a lot of damage to the Fish

NY Jets

1) Rex Ryan

2) Herm Edwards

3) Eric Mangini

4) Al Groh

5) Adam Gase

6) Todd Bowles

Bowles nearly went to the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He’s too low.

also, Jauron is too low.  Look at those rosters.  It’s absolutely amazing they won 7 games.  They were bottom 5 teams with talent.

• Like (+1) 1