Rank the AFC East coaches since BB came to New England

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Dick Jauron did a WAY better job as the Bills HC than Rex. He just didn’t have a lot of talent. Rex did. Rex got the least he possibly could of out of that team. That was about an 11-5 team that hung right around .500. He was unquestionably the worst Bills coach during the drought. 

Greg Williams was the worst. Rex was second worst. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Buffalo Bills (ranked first to worst)

1) Sean McDermott

2) Wade Phillips

3) Doug Marrone

4) Rex Ryan

5) Mike Mularkey

6) Gregg Williams

7) Chan Gailey

8 ) Dick Jauron

Jauron was better than both Gailey and Gregg Williams.  He did not have a QB and was given a ***** team with a crappy General Manager (Sorry Marv Levy!)

Mike Mularkey was better than Marrone nad Rex Ryan and Rex was better than Marrone. 

Wade was saddled with a GM who was in his final legs with the Bills and wanted his own swan song.   Sean has got a lot going in his favor, especially a great front office and a non-meddling ownership.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Greg Williams was the worst. Rex was second worst. 

Gregg was bad too. I’d have him right down there. He was an a-hole too. I’d probably rank them:

- McDermott

- Wade

- Marrone

- Chan

- Jauron

- Mularky

- Gregg Williams

- Rex

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Buffalo Bills (ranked first to worst)

1) Sean McDermott

2) Wade Phillips

3) Doug Marrone

4) Rex Ryan

5) Mike Mularkey

6) Gregg Williams

7) Chan Gailey

8 ) Dick Jauron

Miami Dolphins 

1) Dave Wannstedt 

2) Tony Sparano

3) Adam Gase

4) Nick Saban

5) Brian Flores

6) Joe Philbin

7) Cam Cameron

NY Jets

1) Rex Ryan

2) Herm Edwards

3) Eric Mangini

4) Al Groh

5) Adam Gase

6) Todd Bowles

Overall 

1) Rex Ryan (most wins against BB)

2) Dave Wannstedt

3) Herm Edwards

4) Sean McDermott

5) Eric Mangini

6) Wade Phillip

7) Tony Sparano

8 ) Adam Gase

9) Nick Saban

10) Al Groh

11) Brian Flores

12) Joe Philbin

13) Mike Mularkey

14) Gregg Williams

15) Chan Gailey

16) Todd Bowles

17) Dick Jauron

18) Cam Cameron

What an awful list.....

I never really analyzed it until now but I did not realize there was that much turnover with the Jets and Dolphins over that period.  I think the Pegula's have things going the right direction but Ralph Wilson never found the guy he could trust to run the team the last 15 years he was alive.  Also, I don't think that Ralph was up to the task during the same time period.  The time lost will always bother me and wonder how Jet and Dolphin fans take their era of darkness even though they did not have a man of advanced age controlling things?   To an outsider the Ryan playoff teams a decade ago with the Jets seem more a fluke than a result of carefully crafted plan.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Rex is last for the Bills (by a lot) and Gailey is probably 3rd (or 4th at worst). As a Jets fan you probably remember him when he was good. He was an absolute nightmare as the Bills coach. Flores is maybe 1 for Miami. He’s certainly trending that way. I’d have Gase last in all cases. His players hate him. Also, Wannstedt was pretty much a moron. He’s definitely not 2. He’s not top 7.

I put Rex at #7...at least the Bills had some entertainment value under Rex...Dick Jauron belongs squarely at #8 for me. It was under his leadership, for the first (and only) time since around 1972 that I gave serious thought to stop watching Bills games....seriously.  I owe Terrell Owens a debt of gratitude for being the only Bill who finally snapped and went public with his disenchantment with the Bills offense. It was really the only time TO popped off in Buffalo...Jaruon was fired the following week. I was that close to my breaking point.  Jaurons teams were just epic in their dullness...and their hopelessness. And the sad thing was, they weren't completely devoid of talent.  A sizable drop off between 1-5 and 6-8.

For me, contending Bills coaches rank:

1- Sean McDermott

2- Wade Phillips

3- Gailey

4- Mularkey

5- Marrone

6- Williams

7- Rex

8- Jauron

I also think Mularkey was a pretty decent coach, who had the unfortunate timing of being in Buffalo at, perhaps, the peak of of the Bills organizational dysfunction. As much as I truly love Marv Levy, his time as GM of the team was just awful.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Jauron was better than both Gailey and Gregg Williams.  He did not have a QB and was given a ***** team with a crappy General Manager (Sorry Marv Levy!)

Mike Mularkey was better than Marrone nad Rex Ryan and Rex was better than Marrone. 

Wade was saddled with a GM who was in his final legs with the Bills and wanted his own swan song.   Sean has got a lot going in his favor, especially a great front office and a non-meddling ownership.

Yeah, Jauron got to work with let's see, superstar Mike Gandy, Bennie Fowler, Losman/Edwards, Keith Ellison starting LB, starting RT Terrance Pennington who never started another game after that one year, Larry Tripplett, and infamous "43 is the Mike" Bryan Scott

20 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Seriously, Jauron was awful

36 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

You are just saying that because you hate Rex. He did a bad job with the defense, but any team with Tyrod Taylor is pretty limited. 

Defense is his specialty and he chose Tyrod as his QB.

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

Yeah, Jauron got to work with let's see, superstar Mike Gandy, Bennie Fowler, Losman/Edwards, Keith Ellison starting LB, starting RT Terrance Pennington who never started another game after that one year, Larry Tripplett, and infamous "43 is the Mike" Bryan Scott

You can say the same thing about Todd Bowles. You can have a bad roster and still be a bad coach. 

Just now, WhoTom said:

Defense is his specialty and he chose Tyrod as his QB.

Who was the alternative? Didn’t Orton retire? 

4 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

You can say the same thing about Todd Bowles. You can have a bad roster and still be a bad coach. 

Right, but the argument is how bad Jauron is. And most of them are bad coaches.

Edited by Reader

4 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Who was the alternative? Didn’t Orton retire? 

Instead of wasting draft picks to convert Jim Schwartz's perfectly good 4-3 defense into Rex's bumbling variation of his father's 3-4 defense, he could have kept the defense intact (keeping Schwartz, whose defense in Philly went on to beat Brady in the Super Bowl), been a head coach instead of a glorified DC, and drafted a QB or two. Rex wanted Tyrod and he ignored the offense so he could run his defense with his guys.

35 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I never really analyzed it until now but I did not realize there was that much turnover with the Jets and Dolphins over that period.  I think the Pegula's have things going the right direction but Ralph Wilson never found the guy he could trust to run the team the last 15 years he was alive.  Also, I don't think that Ralph was up to the task during the same time period.  The time lost will always bother me and wonder how Jet and Dolphin fans take their era of darkness even though they did not have a man of advanced age controlling things?   To an outsider the Ryan playoff teams a decade ago with the Jets seem more a fluke than a result of carefully crafted plan.

It wasn’t a fluke. The Jets made some really great draft picks in the Eric Mangini and supplemented with some real solid veteran free agents. Rex did a great job his first two years with the talent he had. 

Edited by JetsFan20

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Gregg was bad too. I’d have him right down there. He was an a-hole too. I’d probably rank them:

- McDermott

- Wade

- Marrone

- Chan

- Jauron

- Mularky

- Gregg Williams

- Rex

I spoke with Drew Bledsoe about Williams. He was a total dick. Worst coach Bills have ever had. 

59 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Well, as one who loathed Jauron, don't forget Jauron wasn't "given a ***** team with a crappy General Manager"...Juaron was hired by the crappy General Manager"  One of the things that made him a crappy General Manager.

44 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I put Rex at #7...at least the Bills had some entertainment value under Rex...Dick Jauron belongs squarely at #8 for me. It was under his leadership, for the first (and only) time since around 1972 that I gave serious thought to stop watching Bills games....seriously.  I owe Terrell Owens a debt of gratitude for being the only Bill who finally snapped and went public with his disenchantment with the Bills offense. It was really the only time TO popped off in Buffalo...Jaruon was fired the following week. I was that close to my breaking point.  Jaurons teams were just epic in their dullness...and their hopelessness. And the sad thing was, they weren't completely devoid of talent.  

For me, contending Bills coaches rank:

1- Sean McDermott

2- Wade Phillips

3- Gailey

4- Mularkey

5- Marrone

6- Williams

7- Rex

8- Jauron

I also think Mularkey was a pretty decent coach, who had the unfortunate timing of being in Buffalo at, perhaps, the peak of of the Bills organizational dysfunction. As much as I truly love Marv Levy, his time as GM of the team was just awful.

You are spot on - Dick Jauron was just the worst.  Standing like a statue on the sidelines, no imagination, no leadership, but by god, Ralph and Marv liked him - so that's all that mattered!  As much as I love this team, those seasons were borderline unwatchable for long stretches.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

You are just saying that because you hate Rex. He did a bad job with the defense, but any team with Tyrod Taylor is pretty limited. 

You mean the top 5 scoring offense in the league and #1 rush offense three years in a row was "pretty limited"?  Rex destroyed a top 3 defense.  That team had enough skill to make the playoffs multiple times.  

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

You are spot on - Dick Jauron was just the worst.  Standing like a statue on the sidelines, no imagination, no leadership, but by god, Ralph and Marv liked him - so that's all that mattered!  As much as I love this team, those seasons were borderline unwatchable for long stretches.  

Jauron's teams played hard.  Marv as GM is what killed those teams.  I won't defend the Jauron hire as he mostly awful but it was Levy as GM that was the real problem.  He set the franchise back 5 years easily.