51st State? DC Statehood Is Happening!

Just now, Foxx said:

me thinks you have no reading comprehension.

from her website that incidentally was linked:

logo.png

Representing the District of Columbia.

care to try again?

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

albeit without voting abilities

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's crazy to me that approximately 600,000 full time DC residents don't have any federal voting representation when they have to pay federal taxes.  Just incorporate the part of the district where the most people live into Maryland and add a house member along with an electoral vote if the worry is that Dems will pick up two extra Senate seats by making it a state.  The small area where the most important government buildings, parks, and monuments will still be the District of Columbia.

Yeah bro, the senate seats is why they want to do it. They don’t actually care.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Sickening that it weighs more to rural states. Spit 

F*** you, that's what makes us a Republic you ignorant twit!

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Correct.  This is why granting Washington DC, specifically, statehood requires an Amendment.

Any other body of land can be granted statehood by Congress, but DC is unique.  The Founders saw that making the Federal government beholden to any single state would give that state unjust power over the others.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! END THREAD.

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's crazy to me that approximately 600,000 full time DC  residents don't have any federal voting representation when they have to pay federal taxes.  Just incorporate the part of the district where the most people live into Maryland and add a house member along with an electoral vote if the worry is that Dems will pick up two extra Senate seats by making it a state.  The small area where the most important government buildings, parks, and monuments will still be the District of Columbia.

Why???? If we're going to make this argument, what about western NY in Albany? Or the rest of Maryland outside Baltimore and Annapolis? Pennsylvania between Philly and Pittsburgh? Even California with LA and San Fran vs the rest of the state?

And in fact I could make the argument that they are indeed represented by every Representative on the House, and by every Senator.

ARTICLE 1, SECTION 8

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States

• Like (+1) 2

MICHAEL IS SCREAMING: “WHATABOUTPUERTORICO!” 

I went there 57 times to inspect the insufficient Federal aid and document they were denied basic commodities like water, rice , and vegetables, and food stamps.

THESE ARE MY PEOPLE!!!!

They should be a state just like Guam and Guantanamo.  

16 minutes ago, snafu said:

Like I’m a representative of my household but I have no voting rights and I pay for things.

I’m the Elenor Holmes Norton of my house!

☹️

considering the atmosphere today, it is the party that rules. independent voices/votes don't mean much.

4 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't like the Senate idea at all.  DC has 705,000 people while Maryland has just over 6 million people and Virginia a little over 8.5 million people.  It would amount to crapping in someone else's bathtub.  For the record I don't see a way I can be comfortable with to make it a state.  People don't like the status quo of DC then they came move elsewhere.  It is paramount that DC remains a neutral territory when it comes to other states and any political party.  

Fine, just let us pay no taxes then...i am sure all DC residents be fine with that. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's crazy to me that approximately 600,000 full time DC residents don't have any federal voting representation when they have to pay federal taxes.  Just incorporate the part of the district where the most people live into Maryland and add a house member along with an electoral vote if the worry is that Dems will pick up two extra Senate seats by making it a state.  The small area where the most important government buildings, parks, and monuments will still be the District of Columbia.

No thank you on the MD idea..lived there for a spell..DRM for a reason LOL

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

And Tibsy and the other lemmings fight to get to the front of the line............

Fzh0qniW?format=jpg&name=small

This is just blatantly false, been an issue since i moved to DC in 87

Edited by plenzmd1

3 hours ago, Cinga said:

Why???? If we're going to make this argument, what about western NY in Albany? Or the rest of Maryland outside Baltimore and Annapolis? Pennsylvania between Philly and Pittsburgh? Even California with LA and San Fran vs the rest of the state?

And in fact I could make the argument that they are indeed represented by every Representative on the House, and by every Senator.

ARTICLE 1, SECTION 8

Without any power to choose who those people are.  I guess they could always move.

39 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Without any power to choose who those people are.  I guess they could always move.

yup, they sure could. The seat of our federal government HAS to stay on a neutral site

12 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

If not to gain Democrat Senators by gerrymadering then what is the purpose of creating a new state out of a little bit of land given to the federal government by 2 different states? 

That's different because shut up.

Well, that and we all know that his deeply-held principles shift with what his Democrat masters determine is political convenience.

• Like (+1) 1

D C state hood has been a hot topic for decades.  Why now all of the sudden, the D's jump up and pass it?

it's yet another round of political gamesmanship.

when it doesn't pass in the Senate D's can say Trump and Rs don't want black people to vote.

7 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Uh, what?

DC will get three electoral college votes. Two for the senators, one for the representative 

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

D C state hood has been a hot topic for decades.  Why now all of the sudden, the D's jump up and pass it?

it's yet another round of political gamesmanship.

when it doesn't pass in the Senate D's can say Trump and Rs don't want black people to vote.

We’ll get it done next year then.