51st State? DC Statehood Is Happening!

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Why no just incorporate it into Maryland?

Really, the DC license plate says it all.  They should have some representation.

Maybe one Congressperson.

For the Senate, they could be allowed to vote in elections for one Maryland Senator and one Virginia Senator. After all, the city comes from Maryland and Virginia land. 

I think it would be absolutely ridiculous for DC to get 2 Senators. I can’t see any more fair way than my idea.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Really, the DC license plate says it all.  They should have some representation.

For the Senate, they could be allowed to vote in elections for one Maryland Senator and one Virginia Senator. After all, the city comes from Maryland and Virginia land. 

I think it would be absolutely ridiculous for DC to get 2 Senators. I can’t see any more fair way than my idea.

That isn't fair to Maryland and Virginia.

Bedsides the goal is NOT more representation for ANY voters,

But TWO NEW RELIABLE DEMOCRAT senators.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

That isn't fair to Maryland and Virginia.

Bedsides the goal is NOT more representation for ANY voters,

But TWO NEW RELIABLE DEMOCRAT senators.

I know the goal.

Either status quo, or partially unfair to MD and VA. 

Statehood with two senators is unfair to the entire country.  

• Like (+1) 1

Can we delete this thread and just start another one, so if the "51st state" fails we don't have to start a new thread after the "intellectual" that is OP deletes the thread?

SlimLeafyBlackrussianterrier-size_restri

Edited by Paulus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, snafu said:

I don't like the Senate idea at all.  DC has 705,000 people while Maryland has just over 6 million people and Virginia a little over 8.5 million people.  It would amount to crapping in someone else's bathtub.  For the record I don't see a way I can be comfortable with to make it a state.  People don't like the status quo of DC then they came move elsewhere.  It is paramount that DC remains a neutral territory when it comes to other states and any political party.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Why no just incorporate it into Maryland?

The answer is why it wont happen. The founders didnt want the capital to be under the jurisdiction of a state. Even if it did pass, there is a good chance the Supreme Court would strike it down.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Shrink the federal part of DC and give lands back to both states. 

The agreement to ANY type of change is a step towards allowing statehood.

The district is set up the way it was planned ................leave it alone.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, ALF said:

California with almost 40M population has same number of Senators as Wyoming less then 600K population. Is that fair representation ?

Why would Wyoming want to be subjugated by California? Is that fair?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

The agreement to ANY type of change is a step towards allowing statehood.

The district is set up the way it was planned ................leave it alone.

Oh, I agree but a counter to the dems unfairness claims is to give the states most of their citizens back and leave a smaller District. 

It's crazy to me that approximately 600,000 full time DC residents don't have any federal voting representation when they have to pay federal taxes.  Just incorporate the part of the district where the most people live into Maryland and add a house member along with an electoral vote if the worry is that Dems will pick up two extra Senate seats by making it a state.  The small area where the most important government buildings, parks, and monuments will still be the District of Columbia.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Yes!! This looks like an easy one. If Democrats win the Senate and WH all they have to do is pass a law, blow up the stupid Filibuster and Biden signs it into law, two more Democratic Senators! Boom! 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-approves-dc-at-51st-state-gop-calls-move-dem-power-grab

go, team, go!!!  Rah, rah!

4 hours ago, ALF said:

California with almost 40M population has same number of Senators as Wyoming less then 600K population. Is that fair representation ?

considering that the Senate was devised to represent the states, yes. the House represents the people which is why Cali has many more Reps than Wyo. don't confuse nor try to equate the two, each has their function.

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

According to the Constitution, yes.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's crazy to me that approximately 600,000 full time DC residents don't have any federal voting representation when they have to pay federal taxes.  Just incorporate the part of the district where the most people live into Maryland and add a house member along with an electoral vote if the worry is that Dems will pick up two extra Senate seats by making it a state.  The small area where the most important government buildings, parks, and monuments will still be the District of Columbia.

DC is not a prison. They can always move if federal representation is what they are after. The country has a lot of space. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No representation might be preferred over the representation the rest of us get.  Come to think of it I might consider moving to DC just for that reason.  

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I Dont Think It Means GIF | Gfycat

me thinks you have no reading comprehension.

from her website that incidentally was linked:

logo.png

Representing the District of Columbia.

care to try again?

• Like (+1) 1