16 out of 302 NBA players test positive for Covid 19

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How is she letting "strangers" in her home if she has a trusted cleaner who has been cleaning her house for years?  Never mind, don't tell me.

The point is that young healthy people are only a couple degrees of separation from people who are older or vulnerable.   You can say "well, they shouldn't be" but that's how it is.  And just how old is "older"?  What constitutes "vulnerable?"  It's all ill defined.  That's why it matters if young, healthy people are spreading covid-19 around.  They don't just keep it among themselves.

You bringing in a nurse going to a bar is a total non-sequitor and straw man, if that's your thing go talk to someone else.

Because he doesn’t know if she’s sick or not. The virus doesn’t care how well you know somebody or not lol. How many people would you want your doctor associating with right now if you were at an ALF?

A nurse going to a bar could pick up COVID. A physician getting his bathroom redone could do the same. A nurse flying on her week off could get it. Should we not hold our healthcare professionals more responsible to distance themselves than some random dude? Seeing as they are in DIRECT contact with the most vulnerable.

You brought up ALF’s in your example, don’t try to change it to “what is vulnerable?” We all know nursing homes are the most vulnerable populations.

Edited by FireChans

4 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

You mean like in nursing homes? Is that where they pass it on? 

Or family members that pass it to others.

Or people at the shopping center, restaurant, bar - that spread it out.

Or people at the resort games are played at with family.

Will they die - statistically it is not likely - are they likely to pass it to someone that could die - yep.  

It is not surprising that they are positive or that the positivity rate is over 5% - the question becomes how do they mitigate and prevent more exposures - especially as housekeeping staff and cooks, servers, bartenders in and around Orlando are coming up positive at a much higher rate.  

How long before that one player - infects 10 others and that maid cleaning his room takes it home (or brings it in) and someone vulnerable dies.  Where is the death cutoff that is acceptable and where is the acceptable rate of 20-40 year olds going to ICU because of the decisions made by people with poor leadership.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

That's an interesting...spin...on those statistics to try to minimize the perceived risk to the elderly.  Using broad demographics like "aged 20-64", and weasel words like "a significant number".

The important takeaway from it actually is that age 45+ sees a rise in hospitalizations, and 65+ sees a rise in deaths, as expected.  I don't understand the need to try to twist things to minimize that truth.

Actually, the problem is that demographics that broad are used in most of the available data.

So we don't have answers to questions like "what is the risk, really, to a healthy 35 yr old NFL OLman?" that are as clear cut as we would like, not from "spin" but just because those are the bins in which data is being proffered.

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually, the problem is that demographics that broad are used in most of the available data.

So we don't have answers to questions like "what is the risk, really, to a healthy 35 yr old NFL OLman?" that are as clear cut as we would like, not from "spin" but just because those are the bins in which data is being proffered.

I was more just critiquing the weird narrative some have that the virus isn't more dangerous for the elderly.  Not really trying to make specific claims.

8 minutes ago, Joaquin1119 said:

NFL season going to end up being cancel. Tim Brady going to retire from NFL, TB fans going to be very piss.

damn that Tim Brady, always foiling the Bills’ hopes at the division title...

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

For the 1000th time, it's not about how sick the young healthy player gets, it's about the people they pass it on to.

Which is a major concern for us but maybe not for a quarantined player in a bubble for the next 6 months.

that said.... 1) will players do that? 2) the nfl has a high number of huge guys the other leagues don’t. Will a Dareus recover as well as diggs would?

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

no reason to believe NFL will be different (5%) at this time. However, there is still ways to go before the season and a majority of the 5% positive players will likely self quarantine before then and be virus free  by the time TC rolls around. still expect TC will start on time.

Test, Test and Test again will be the mantra for the season.

the main risk is of course for the staffers and coaches - these players are young and should overcome the virus without issues.

vulnerable folks (over 65 , obese or those with exisiting problems) must stay sheltered.   everyone else go back to work bc this is just the flu for you.  really pretty simple.   we know the types of people this thing hurts; they need to stay hidden until the vaccine comes out

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Do you think the physician who sees patients in an ALF should be letting strangers in his home and touching everything?

Should nurses at those same facilities be getting drinks at a bar the night before her shift?

Very interesting blame shift here.

Why don’t we say something like this? If you are young and healthy, don’t go near people who aren’t. If you have to go near people who aren’t, don’t contact strangers. If you aren’t healthy, try to not contact anybody.

Ah, that damn Josh Allen’s fault that someone else coughed on grandma!

Chans, I’m not going to banter, but some perspective From you’re examples.  Working with doctors, nurses, surgeons in particular as I work in biotechnology and in the past medical device sales, these medical professionals even before this virus wash their hands before and after every patient interactions, and wear gloves, are trained not to touch their faces, and since February even in offices are wearing masks.  You’re points about medical professionals infecting others is not accurate at all.  Hapless’s example on the other hand is much much more likely.  Young people do get sick although proportionately people with comorbid conditions, and elderly along with pregnant women are more susceptible.  That’s the problem.  Someone unknowingly is positive and is not taking distancing seriously and can infect a ton of other people.

8 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

It seems like we are allowing covid threads in the main forums now? Just making sure because Simon called a bunch of people out for doing this...

Not only allowing, mods are posting Covid thoughts themselves. Double standard has made its way into TBD.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not only allowing, mods are posting Covid thoughts themselves. Double standard has made its way into TBD.

I guess that's the way power works huh?  Do as I say, not as I do!  It's happening too often around here.

I've accepted the fact that rule setters are allowed to be rule breakers.

Edited by ProcessYaDigg
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s very good news given the small percentage. Not sure how many I expected but it was more than 16 out of 302. 

I read last night that currently 37 players on the Clemson Tigers football team are Covid-19 positive. Granted, they have more than a hundred players, but current NFL rosters are at 90. The outlook has ‘bleakened’ dramatically this week..

2 minutes ago, ProcessYaDigg said:

I guess that's the way power works huh?  Do as I say, not as I do!  It's happening too often around here.

Consider yourself encouraged to depart.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

I read last night that currently 37 players on the Clemson Tigers football team are Covid-19 positive. Granted, they have more than a hundred players, but current NFL rosters are at 90. The outlook has ‘bleakened’ dramatically this week.

As much as i want to be optimistic about football happening this year, i just don't see it happening with the way it's spreading. I pray to God that this thing turns the corner a lot sooner rather than later.  Our focus has to shift away from this virus. 

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It's just constructive criticism brother.  It's about keeping each other honest.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I read last night that currently 37 players on the Clemson Tigers football team are Covid-19 positive. Granted, they have more than a hundred players, but current NFL rosters are at 90. The outlook has ‘bleakened’ dramatically this week..

You may want to look up the definition of a moderator. I would bet you were asked to be one to help keep the integrity of the board to a certain standard. Keeping appropriate content organized. I received a private message from another moderator asking me to keep Covid posts to the Covid thread on that page. Has this changed? You might want to look into stepping down from your position if you can’t stay non partial. I understand how that can happen, these are unprecedented times that cause stress and then emotions run high and are difficult to keep contained . Rules should apply to all here on an equal basis. I will say I am not sure how a moderator on a message board differs from a moderator in other areas. The definition is pretty clear of how a moderator is to perform their task. A moderator is to stay neutral and help keep discussions on point and relevant. Do you feel you are acting in the spirit of a moderator? 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

no reason to believe NFL will be different (5%) at this time. However, there is still ways to go before the season and a majority of the 5% positive players will likely self quarantine before then and be virus free  by the time TC rolls around. still expect TC will start on time.

Test, Test and Test again will be the mantra for the season.

the main risk is of course for the staffers and coaches - these players are young and should overcome the virus without issues.

If i were the NFL, i would have everyone that will come into contact with players or even be in the facility tested now...and then set up some kind of structured testing process. And we as a country need sports, and there are tons of tests available now..should not be an issue

So here is a good article about that..smart to be catching these early. No one requiring hospitalization, 50% asymptomatic...bright side says 20 some positives not out there spreading the virus...football is saving lives!

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/06/26/clemson-says-14-more-football-players-test-positive-for-virus-total-now-at-37/

• Like (+1) 1

The idea of “winning/losing” in these games seems so frivolous now.  The illusion of the games mattering and the players taking the field for some higher purpose like securing the Super Bowl in victory for the glory of their city/team has been completely shattered.

These players are simply being sent out for these games for 1.) $$$$.   2.) Public distraction

Im wondering how many of these players will even take this season seriously (because it isn’t).

They should just play 8 exhibition games in a bubble city and donate the proceeds to charity for BLM, Covid Relief, Recession/Depression relief.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Chandler, I placed a smile face related to you’re second comment.  You and Hapless do a great job, although I just see it as basically uncontrollable.  The more you guys work exhaustively to placehold COVID-19 conversations to one thread, it’s almost impossible given it is overtaking so much if our lives.  FWIW, they’ve been talking a lot on the LSU and some other college football programs that are having widespread outbreaks on NFLR speculating what is to come with training camp.

Granted the NFL has a lot more resources than some of the college programs, sanitization should be more thorough, temp. Checks, regular testing, maybe even headsets for all the players to eliminate the huddle, but there will be a spike in positive tests.  I’m more concerned with the equipment guys, trainers, coaches over 50, and so on, as well as everyone at camps friends and families.  Anyway, I don’t think anything will stop the league from moving forward other than maybe dropping the rest of pre season, training camp starting two to four weeks later, etc.  The owners are already going to lose too much $, but cancelling the season won’t happen.

I feel for those people as most of us if we work at it can find ways to distance.  It may suck, but we still can do it.

• Thank you (+1) 1