Kim Pegula: Regular Season Finale (Headset)

2 hours ago, Happy said:

Actually, Jerry Jones knows a good amount about football and how to run the team as the GM.  He has put a good amount of talent on the team, both on offense and defense.  Now why they haven't been more successful....not sure if that is a result of him being a little too 'hands on' as an owner/GM or Jason Garrett not being a very good HC.  We'll soon see with Mike McCarthy.

he does know a lot, compared to some other owners but he also has a lot of aces in the hole when it comes to attracting free agents. He runs the most popular franchise, he’s in the south, where many of the best players come from nowadays, and he has past success. And yet, Jerruh hasn’t won squat in a long time. 

And as he’s gotten older, I’d argue Jerruh has hurt his team more than he’s helped it. That, combined with his antiquated beliefs say to me he’s probably hurting the franchise more than helping it at this point. Which is good! I hate the cowboys almost as much as I hate the Washington team. I hope JJ lives to 105 and runs the Cowboys into the ground.

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

he does know a lot, compared to some other owners but he also has a lot of aces in the hole when it comes to attracting free agents. He runs the most popular franchise, he’s in the south, where many of the best players come from nowadays, and he has past success. And yet, Jerruh hasn’t won squat in a long time. 

And as he’s gotten older, I’d argue Jerruh has hurt his team more than he’s helped it. That, combined with his antiquated beliefs say to me he’s probably hurting the franchise more than helping it at this point. Which is good! I hate the cowboys almost as much as I hate the Washington team. I hope JJ lives to 105 and runs the Cowboys into the ground.

From the south?  So what?  KC just won and they're north/central.  How about NE, NY, GB, Philly?  None of them are from the south.  Has nothing to do with anything.

Jerry hasn't gone to the NFCC or SB in a long time, that is true.  But is it because of Jason Garrett or Jerry Jones?  I don't know, though as I stated, Mike McCarthy should be some indication.  I don't like the Cowboys either, but they aren't as poorly run as some may think.  I personally believe they underachieved last year and a coaching change may do them good.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

How many GMs have put together that talented a roster lately?  "Popularity" has nothing to do with it.  HC has been his weakness--sticking with Garrett too long and now bringing in "Massage Mike" McCarthy.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Jerruh should sell the team.  A new owner can't do much worse.

LOL---such a swing and a miss.  Yes, a new owner could not do worse than 3 SB rings, and 3 Division wins the past 6 seasons as he has rebuilt that team yet again.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many GMs have put together that talented a roster lately?  "Popularity" has nothing to do with it.  HC has been his weakness--sticking with Garrett too long and now bringing in "Massage Mike" McCarthy.

that’s right - i was more talking about the popularity of the franchise, not JJ himself. In fact, i’d say Jerruh is not too popular among current players nowadays. But the cowboys “brand” is still immensely popular. I know, I hate it too. 

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

that’s right - i was more talking about the popularity of the franchise, not JJ himself. In fact, i’d say Jerruh is not too popular among current players nowadays. But the cowboys “brand” is still immensely popular. I know, I hate it too. 

Well I can only think of one player right now....

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Wasn't this somewhat the plot of 'Ace Ventura, Pet Detective'?

Sort of.  But in reverse (woman to man)

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL---such a swing and a miss.  Yes, a new owner could not do worse than 3 SB rings, and 3 Division wins the past 6 seasons as he has rebuilt that team yet again.  

The three SB rings were 25 years ago and those 3 playoff appearances are out of the last 10 seasons.  With the location, popularity and money he has, they should be making the playoffs every year and advancing past the 2nd round when they do. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not sure how Kim Pegula wearing a headset turned into a referendum on Jerrah, but ok.  Jones was way too over involved and shooed off very good coaches (Jimmy Johnson - yeah I hate him too, but an excellent football mind, and Parcells).  He doesn’t like strong willed coaches, but he has done a remarkable job building up the Cowboys financially and has it as I believe the #1 valued sports franchise in all of sports worldwide (I believe they surpassed the valuation of Man U.). Now he does have a solid coach in McCarthy, he and his son moreso have made unsexy picks like building up a tremendous O Line when the old Jerrah would keep picking skill players.  This year he added another probably top flight WR to Cooper, and one of the top 5-7 RB’s.  His son has been good for him.  Personally I hate the Cowboys as much as the Pats, Fins, and Redskins (basically any team that beat us in the SB except the Giants because they were the Pats cryptonite in SB’s).

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, it’s not a huge deal but there are no positives that could come out of this. If she decides she wants to be more involved it’s a negative. There is no situation where it’s a positive. Someone brought up the VP of IT earlier. There are potential positives to him being on the headsets. If there are issues he can troubleshoot them. There is no scenario where it’s “good thing Kim is on here.” Not a big deal but not professional either

I think the bigger worry based on how they manage the Sabres is, that McD either falls short of expectations for a year or two, or has a down year or two, and now KP is talking about how chaotic the headset was. Now we have some BS flow chart in how she thinks they can better their game day communications. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the bigger worry based on how they manage the Sabres is, that McD either falls short of expectations for a year or two, or has a down year or two, and now KP is talking about how chaotic the headset was. Now we have some BS flow chart in how she thinks they can better their game day communications. 

That’s a good point Mango. I think that’s what we are dealing with. In a vacuum this isn’t a big deal at all. There just isn’t potential or future upside to it and there is potential future downside. 

37 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m not sure how Kim Pegula wearing a headset turned into a referendum on Jerrah, but ok.  Jones was way too over involved and shooed off very good coaches (Jimmy Johnson - yeah I hate him too, but an excellent football mind, and Parcells).  He doesn’t like strong willed coaches, but he has done a remarkable job building up the Cowboys financially and has it as I believe the #1 valued sports franchise in all of sports worldwide (I believe they surpassed the valuation of Man U.). Now he does have a solid coach in McCarthy, he and his son moreso have made unsexy picks like building up a tremendous O Line when the old Jerrah would keep picking skill players.  This year he added another probably top flight WR to Cooper, and one of the top 5-7 RB’s.  His son has been good for him.  Personally I hate the Cowboys as much as the Pats, Fins, and Redskins (basically any team that beat us in the SB except the Giants because they were the Pats cryptonite in SB’s).

As the team stands now at least, Jerry is too hands on as a GM, let alone an owner. They have a quality roster. Obviously he can do what he wants as owner. But he’s far too involved in game plans. His need for control has limited his HC’s to yes men. 

38 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The main difference is Jerry Jones was a captain of a National Championship team at Arkansas. Say what you want about the guy but he knows football inside and out. If he were on the headset he’d have a complete understanding of the conversations taking place. It may be meddling but it is informed meddling. Terry and Kim do not have anywhere close to Jones’ knowledge and understanding of the game. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s a good point Mango. I think that’s what we are dealing with. In a vacuum this isn’t a big deal at all. There just isn’t potential or future upside to it and there is potential future downside. 

Would I listen in if I were an owner? Absolutely! How cool would that be?! But I also know I couldn’t be less qualified at an NFL level to scout a college kid, or know a play call. And no matter how long I own a team I probably never will be.

My only job as owner is to be in charge of grading pass/fail for the people who are qualified to make those decisions. Are we drafting well? Are we retaining talent? Are we acquiring quality FA? Do we manage game day we’ll? Yes! OK, as you were folks. No, time to find people who can do those things. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

KJ - I know I’m getting older, but didn’t you just write yesterday owners should stay out of football operations or something to that effect?  I’m just kidding, but he is a meddling owner.

100% I believe that. My point was just if they are meddling (which I in no way encourage) they don’t all have the same understanding. Al Davis meddled. Al Davis knew football inside and out. Jerry Jones meddles; he knows football inside and out. Daniel Snyder meddles; he doesn’t know the game like that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Sort of.  But in reverse (woman to man)

The three SB rings were 25 years ago and those 3 playoff appearances are out of the last 10 seasons.  With the location, popularity and money he has, they should be making the playoffs every year and advancing past the 2nd round when they do. 

Is this really an argument that Jerry Jones has run the Cowboys as poorly as the Pegulas have run the Sabres?

Wow

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% I believe that. My point was just if they are meddling (which I in no way encourage) they don’t all have the same understanding. Al Davis meddled. Al Davis knew football inside and out. Jerry Jones meddles; he knows football inside and out. Daniel Snyder meddles; he doesn’t know the game like that.

Just lightheartedly busting chops.  I understand.  Have a good Sunday bud.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Is this really an argument that Jerry Jones has run the Cowboys as poorly as the Pegulas have run the Sabres?

Wow

As poorly?  No and it was mostly tongue-in-cheek.  He has all the advantages the Pegulas don't (popularity, weather, market, no state income tax).  But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be getting a lot more out of them than he has.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

As poorly?  No and it was mostly tongue-in-cheek.  He has all the advantages the Pegulas don't (popularity, weather, market, no state income tax).  But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be getting a lot more out of them than he has.

What does that mean, more than he has? It’s a salary cap league. Just because you are in a good market doesn’t mean you win Super Bowls.

The difference is that the Cowboys are competitive and they make lots of money. The Sabres aren’t competitive and they don’t make lots of money.