Kim Pegula: Regular Season Finale (Headset)

21 hours ago, nucci said:

as a coach I wouldn't like it

As a coach I would proceed as if she wasn’t there, and if the owner doesn’t like it then too bad, Sean can get a job anywhere in the NFL, so I don’t think he gives a rats azs concerning this gigantic nothing burger ?.., 

I’m quite certain owners listen in up

in their booth regularly. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/26/2020 at 3:19 PM, YoloinOhio said:

She owns the team and can do whatever she wants. It may have been a suggestion from McDermott even to give her the flavor of what takes place during the game. 

Actually the article stated it was suggested by someone in the front office, think on the scouting side??  Didn't sound like she listened all that long either, maybe a couple series or so.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess I just look at it as she’s one step closer to having a button to call plays. The owner’s role is to entertain politicians and business people on a game day. It’s not to hear a conversation between McDermott, Daboll and Allen. It’s not to wait outside for autographs. This really isn’t a big deal but it just confirms what I already believed. We have super fans as owners. That’s not  a compliment. Super fans make players and coaches uncomfortable.

Exactly, I’d like to know how many people who are good with it would like their boss being part of something they typically aren’t. Regardless of how good a relationship you have with your boss, there are limits to how involved you want them to be. The best employees don’t want their bosses in on every conversation. I don’t want to make this into a big deal, but it’s not how professional organizations are run, and feels amateurish. What good can come out of the boss eavesdropping on the coaches headset ? I don’t see any upside. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Exactly, I’d like to know how many people who are good with it would like their boss being part of something they typically aren’t. Regardless of how good a relationship you have with your boss, there are limits to how involved you want them to be. The best employees don’t want their bosses in on every conversation. I don’t want to make this into a big deal, but it’s not how professional organizations are run, and feels amateurish. What good can come out of the boss eavesdropping on the coaches headset ? I don’t see any upside. 

It's a major stretch to think that just because Kim merely listened to conversations between her coaches and players during a meaningless game and at the insistence of someone else and with clearance beforehand, that she has any intention of calling plays.  It borders on ridiculous and smacks of an agenda. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's a major stretch to think that just because Kim merely listened to conversations between her coaches and players during a meaningless game and at the insistence of someone else and with clearance beforehand, that she has any intention of calling plays.  It borders on ridiculous and smacks of an agenda. 

I never said that Kim plans on calling plays. That is a major stretch from what I had written. I was merely making the point that Pegula is McDermott’s boss. There are certain places a boss doesn’t belong if they want their employees to feel trusted and free to perform their jobs. It’s not a big deal, but if a bunch of small things like that happen behind the scenes, it becomes a big deal over time. I’m not one hundred percent convinced that McD would have loved it. 

Again, it’s not a huge deal but there are no positives that could come out of this. If she decides she wants to be more involved it’s a negative. There is no situation where it’s a positive. Someone brought up the VP of IT earlier. There are potential positives to him being on the headsets. If there are issues he can troubleshoot them. There is no scenario where it’s “good thing Kim is on here.” Not a big deal but not professional either

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, boater said:

She owns the team. Get over your class envy and warfare and accept that.

There's reasons why Buffalo lags economically. Class warfare is top of the list.

I don’t think anyone is denying her right to do it. She can coach the team if she wants. It’s her business. Generally the best owners are hands off business people, not super fans. Both of those things are true. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I never said that Kim plans on calling plays. That is a major stretch from what I had written. I was merely making the point that Pegula is McDermott’s boss. There are certain places a boss doesn’t belong if they want their employees to feel trusted and free to perform their jobs. It’s not a big deal, but if a bunch of small things like that happen behind the scenes, it becomes a big deal over time. I’m not one hundred percent convinced that McD would have loved it. 

It was in KJ's post, to which you responded.  I didn't feel like quoting that one as well.

And if a boss who doesn't know what my job entails wanted to watch me perform during, say, a colonoscopy on a young. healthy and slim patient, I'd have no problem with it.  If he/she wanted to tell me how to do my job, that would be something entirely different.  But there's no indication Kim wanted/wants to do anything more than experience it once and I doubt McD had a problem with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, boater said:

She owns the team. Get over your class envy and warfare and accept that.

There's reasons why Buffalo lags economically. Class warfare is top of the list.

First, I have no objections to her listening in.

Second ... class warfare? If you criticize a rich person for anything it's class warfare? Did anyone in this thread even mention wealth and equate it with evil?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I know it bothers you, but to this point they've demonstrated they are clueless sports owners who got lucky with McDermott/Beane... wouldn't surprise me at all if they wanted to call a few plays a game. 

WOW! Quite the leap there! I hope you don’t really believe that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think anyone is denying her right to do it. She can coach the team if she wants. It’s her business. Generally the best owners are hands off business people, not super fans. Both of those things are true. 

No doubt everything you have said about Kim wearing a headset are legit takes.  I suspect (and really hope) she was just curious and wanted to see what goes on during a game.  Otherwise, we become the NYS equivalent of the Washington Redskins, which is terrifying to think about.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kirby, I hear ya, and I get it. You ask what is to be gained? I ask what does it hurt in one meaningless game if she’s just listening. Either way, no big deal, unless it’s not a one time deal. 

This is small potatoes compared to the BIG question: will we have a relatively “normal”  season of football?  I’m getting more concerned by the day, but life goes on. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I know it bothers you, but to this point they've demonstrated they are clueless sports owners who got lucky with McDermott/Beane... wouldn't surprise me at all if they wanted to call a few plays a game. 

Wrong opinions (which are like...) don't bother me, Scott.  Lack of consistency and hypocrisy, do.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

No doubt everything you have said about Kim wearing a headset are legit takes.  I suspect (and really hope) she was just curious and wanted to see what goes on during a game.  Otherwise, we become the NYS equivalent of the Washington Redskins, which is terrifying to think about.

In terms of their public personas, nothing about Kim or Terry reminds me of Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones. Nothing.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

In terms of their public personas, nothing about Kim or Terry reminds me of Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones. Nothing.

Won't be long before Kim has a mask made of McD, quietly gets rid of him and then takes over as HC.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Actually, Jerry Jones knows a good amount about football and how to run the team as the GM.  He has put a good amount of talent on the team, both on offense and defense.  Now why they haven't been more successful....not sure if that is a result of him being a little too 'hands on' as an owner/GM or Jason Garrett not being a very good HC.  We'll soon see with Mike McCarthy.