Michael Lombardi "Bills have a huge hole at QB".

10 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Josh showed marginal improvement in his 2nd season, but not as much as many imagine. He'll need to show that improvement 4 times over if he's ever going to win a SB.. Is that even possible?

He got better in literally every single statistical category by a significant margin.

If he improved even 2 times over again he’d be a 70% passer with 40 passing TDs, 15 rushing TDs, and 6,600 yards passing—basically the best season ever produced by an NFL player by a huge margin.

But hey, hyperbole is fun!

EDIT: Just for laughs, a 4x over improvement would see Allen pass for over 8,000 yards, 60 TDs, and complete 82% of his passes. For the record that would be good enough for me ?

Edited by thebandit27
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Who cares?

1, that guys an idiot. 

2, we all know the national guys don’t really watch the Bills. Josh can look like no great shakes if you don’t watch the game. If you just look at stats, I get it. There’s more to Josh’s game than stats. That’s why we have a positive feeling about the guy. We know because we watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Until Allen thrusts himself into a solid upper middle/late top 10 Qb ranking, this will be the take. 

This team has all the tools, the real question remains at Qb. This is a real prove it year for Allen. 

I don’t know how any rational Bills fans could argue this.  I guarantee the game plan against the Bills is keep Allen in the pocket and force him to beat you with his arm.  

Because we have an awesome defense, Allen rarely has to play catch up where he has to throw to win.  Well playing Pat Mahomes and Russell Wilson, the real test to see if Allen is a franchise guy is if he can bring a team back if they fall behind by double digits.  Much different than “coming” back down by a field goal to Duck Hodges or Marcus Mariota. 

On 7/1/2020 at 11:41 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Since you mentioned Fergy...

Ferguson only completed 49.5% of his passes during his first five years with the Bills (1973-1977).  During the rest of his career in Buffalo, he completed 53.9% of his passes.  His other passing stats got better as well.  

As I mentioned before, some QBs get better with experience.  Allen got better from Year 1 to Year 2 and it's not unreasonable to predict he'll continue to get better in Year 3.

The part of accuracy that's really hard to fix is throwing-a-ball-through-a-tire accuracy.  This might be better termed "precision."  While reps and mechanics can help, it's mostly a DNA-driven, God-given talent.

But in football, we mostly measure accuracy by completion percentage and QBs can improve their completion percentage a number of different ways.  Maybe the most common is just getting better at finding the open receiver so you don't have to thread a needle.  Good play calling by an OC who understands the QB's strengths and weaknesses helps too.  As does better pass protection.  And fielding receivers who can both create separation and catch.  

If a combination of improvements gets Josh to a 65% completion rating and a 90+ passer rating, does it really matter that once-in-a-while he overthrows a receiver because his precision with the ball isn't as consistent as Brady's or Brees'?  

I’d be shocked if he ever got to 65%. A lot of qbs coaches tell you accuracy can be improve slightly but good accuracy is a gift that only special guys have. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I went and looked at Allen's splits in regards to accuracy and found two interesting stats...

Play Action (66%)  vs. Non Play-Action (57%)  and Allen only has 93 play action attempts vs 749 non-play action. Makes you wonder what the OC is thinking here.

The other interesting stat I saw was Allen was 66% accurate when faced with less than 2.5 seconds of pocket time vs 48% accurate with more than 2.5 seconds.