Michael Lombardi "Bills have a huge hole at QB".

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think he believes every word of those. He just avoids saying anything about the areas he feels negatively about on those teams. I think he believes that he owes respect to those teams, that he owes that respect not because of what it means to those teams, but because if he doesn't feel genuine respect for every team every week some of those teams will beat him. Do you ever hear him say stuff like, "Well, we think they're better than us and we're likely to lose." Nope. He is very good at finding the areas where even bad teams are good, pointing them out and not mentioning the things that suck. Remember how he used to say great things about Kyle Williams, Jason Peters, Takeo Spikes, Fred Jackson and a ton more Bills? He did that because he really thought Kyle Williams, Jason Peters, Takeo Spikes and Freddy, among others, were terrific players.

Now, did you hear him saying great things about guys like Demetress Bell? He wasn't touting those guys for the Pro Bowl. He'd find ways around that, saying, "The offensive line seems to be improving there, they're young and hungry." He'd play the game and play it well. 

I think he wanted, maybe needed, to believe deep inside that every team was good enough to beat the Pats any given day if New England didn't give their best. He wanted his team and himself respecting those other teams. That's a part of his culture, I think. 

And again, Belichick isn't re-hiring anybody out of a desire to be nice. Just isn't happening. He believes in Lombardi.

Thurm, this is excellent.

There's so much hate for the Pats and Belichick around here, and few people give him the credit he deserves. 

You're absolutely correct that he wouldn't have rehired Lombardi is Lombardi wasn't really good at what Belichick needed him to do. 

And you're absolutely correct about what he says about his upcoming opponents.  It isn't just that he knows that if he starts believing his team is better than the opponent, he'll fall into the trap of preparing less well (although I'm sure he understands that).  He has respect for his opponents because he knows that they deserve it.  

I realized a few years ago that Belichick lives at the very core of football. He spends his time thinking about how 11 men, working together, can push 11 other men across the goal line they are defending, and how his 11 men, working together, can stop the other 11 from doing the same. He is constantly aware of the one-on-one battles and how they can be combined to push the ball the right way. When you view the game from that perspective, it becomes easy to have genuine respect for your opponent.  Your opponent is putting 11 of the biggest, best trained, most athletic men in the world on the field. These guys are beasts with Ph.Ds in football, all across the league. If you don't respect all that they can do, they will beat you. Belichick knows that, he lives in it, and that's why in his Wednesday press conferences he always shows respect for his opponent. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I don't care what Lombardi thinks.

What I believe is Josh Allen, as long as he's under the regime of Beane and McDermott, will win at least one Super Bowl in his career.

At least one.

Edited by Beast

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Really? He essentially talks up every opponent. No matter how ***** they are. 

He’s more versed in his opponents strengths and weaknesses than any coach before or since. He’s truly the best ever (I, too, hate him)

You lose all credibility with comments like “no matter how ***** they are”, given the people you refer to are not only the very best football players alive today, they’re significantly better than their predecessors.

But don’t let facts intervene in your stance. 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:45 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/06/buffalo-bills-have-huge-hole-at-quarterback-says-former-nfl-gm.html

“It happened it college. Remember coming out, Josh Allen was viewed as a quarterback, not an athlete. Today he’s viewed more as an athlete than a quarterback. And the other issue is he doesn’t run with it enough to utilize his skillset. I think that’s the big question with the Bills. I love the Bills team from front to center. I’d easily support them to win the East but I have real questions. You go back and watch that Patriot game in New England. There were guys open in that game … (Allen) just misses them. And then the second half of the Houston game, he just misses them. We can all hope he gets better at it, and I hope he does. But I’ve yet to see a quarterback improve significantly his accuracy. It’s a hard thing to do.”

You Son Of A Bitch GIFs | Tenor

Truth

Michael who? 

Another problem you have is there were some "experts" that picked Josh Allen as the hill to die on of who was going to bust when he was drafted.

He has CERTAINLY not busted.....but to back track now while the right thing to do is just not in their creed.......they sit there like they HOPE that Josh Allen suddenly falls on this face

The truth is....while not a top 10 QB yet has at this point shown that he is a gamer with all the tools who at the very least is a starting NFL Quarterback.

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Another problem you have is there were some "experts" that picked Josh Allen as the hill to die on of who was going to bust when he was drafted.

He has CERTAINLY not busted.....but to back track now while the right thing to do is just not in their creed.......they sit there like they HOPE that Josh Allen suddenly falls on this face

The truth is....while not a top 10 QB yet has at this point shown that he is a gamer with all the tools who at the very least is a starting NFL Quarterback.

they change opinions non stop. It’s not like they are held accountable to any stances.

josh was thought of to be an erratic passer. He’s a 56% career passer so far and finished last year with an epic melt in the playoffs. 

until he proves them wrong he is going to carry the reputation. This year should be a solid jump, and then we will see where he settles in after he gets paid and has to shoulder more weight. Unless he becomes a better passer, his longevity as a $40m per year starter will be a question mark.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

this is something I've talked about quite a bit. their takes on him were so extreme that none of the people getting paid to talk about it can recant now. they don't wanna be THAT wrong on someone. so even through the improvements so far, and obviously more to come, we've already seen quite a few excuses built in as to why he's having any success at all.

perfect example of this is the yahoo article posted to this forum a couple days ago. the theme of the whole thing was basically the bills have done so much for their roster that even josh allen couldn't screw it up..... its already building in excuses for his success if he, heaven forbid, ever has any.

31 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

this is something I've talked about quite a bit. their takes on him were so extreme that none of the people getting paid to talk about it can recant now. they don't wanna be THAT wrong on someone. so even through the improvements so far, and obviously more to come, we've already seen quite a few excuses built in as to why he's having any success at all.

perfect example of this is the yahoo article posted to this forum a couple days ago. the theme of the whole thing was basically the bills have done so much for their roster that even josh allen couldn't screw it up..... its already building in excuses for his success if he, heaven forbid, ever has any.

This is so wrong it hurts to read.  The people at PFF have a specific way of collecting and analyzing data that they use to rate QBs.  Allen does poorly by their metrics.  He did poorly in college and he’s done poorly in the pros.  It is what it is.  If he improves, then they’ll rate him better.  If he becomes a successful NFL QB despite doing poorly with their metrics, then they’ll take a look at changing their metrics.  I’ve literally heard them say exactly that when talking about Allen.  

• Like (+1) 2