Michael Lombardi "Bills have a huge hole at QB".

You have multiple schools of thought on Allen, as follows:

Blind Homerism - He's awesome. People are mean to him. He's going to get better. The data on him is wrong. He's the outlier, he'll get better he just needs time. These are the folks that find every and all excuses to shine a positive light. They ignore thinks like this shred from the story that dont' bode well or help their argument "In Allen’s final four games (he only played for a quarter against the New York Jets in Week 17), he failed to post higher than 53% passing, including a 24-for-46 performance in the Houston playoff loss." These folks rely on faith and emotion rather than ration and data (past and present).

He'll Always Suck - those who want him to suck because they have been beating this drum since they drafted him and nothing he'll do positively will ever be mentioned, instead, a la Lombardi (if he's so smart, why is he a former GM?), cherry pick the data to support their agenda, as in the quote above and the complete unwillingness to recognize any improvement or give it any credence. 

Let's Wait and See - The in-betweeners. Those who recognize the flaws, see some improvement and think maybe, just maybe, he can be a really good QB. These people are the pragmatists and realists, those who tend to lean on the data that says he "can't improve because few if any have" while also leaning on his work that shows improvement. I would say these people also are certain he can't be a top 5 QB, but maybe a 5-12 kind of guy, good enough to keep the team competitive and in the playoffs and maybe with a ridiculous defense and conservative, mistake free offense, they can be the Dilfer Ravens with Allen. 

• Like (+1) 3

Of course it’s ridiculous click bait. But there’s some semblance of truth. If, godforbid, we lose Josh for any stretch, the season will be lost. Barkley is hot garbage and Fromm has to win over a suspicious locker room while possessing Barkley’s noodle arm.

I hope they don’t cut Joe Webb..?‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I absolutely love when people say that they’ve never seen a QB improve his accuracy, because what they really mean is “except for all the ones that have”.

The day of being patient with QBs is over. Allen improved his completion % by 7 in year 2, was one of the most accurate intermediate QBs in the league, which was a HUGE improvement from year one. To think he cant make another jump, with better weapons is laughable. John Brown and Cole Beasley had career years under Allen. Now another year continuity, with the OC, OL, WRs, adding Diggs and Moss. I see no reason why Allen can't make another significant jump in year 3. 

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes.  Besides the 30 TDs, 9-0 in games where he completes 60% of his passes, and mass improvement over his rookie year where he was considered a project even at #7, 4th quarter comebacks that I have actually lost track of and the playoffs...sure.

...now, would you like some milk before you take your goofy pills?

This is like saying team X wins 95% of the time when they run for over 200 yards.

So what is Allen's record when he doesnt hit 60% (which he has never done for a full year).

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

The day of being patient with QBs is over. Allen improved his completion % by 7 in year 2, was one of the most accurate intermediate QBs in the league, which was a HUGE improvement from year one. To think he cant make another jump, with better weapons is laughable. John Brown and Cole Beasley had career years under Allen. Now another year continuity, with the OC, OL, WRs, adding Diggs and Moss. I see no reason why Allen can't make another significant jump in year 3. 

Just reducing the number of drops (which they should do with Diggs and better TE play of Dawson Knox) he should improve again next year.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest problem with this article is the headline.

Saying the Bills have "a huge hole at QB" is saying Allen will absolutely fail and the great roster will be wasted.

Sports journalism is in an embarrassing state right now, and the click-baiters just make it unbearable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The biggest problem with this article is the headline.

Saying the Bills have "a huge hole at QB" is saying Allen will absolutely fail and the great roster will be wasted.

Sports journalism is in an embarrassing state right now, and the click-baiters just make it unbearable.

Exclude the word 'Sports" from your last paragraph and totally agree

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

No what makes me mad is he said that on the Bills Radio with Steve Tasker and Tasker didn’t check him one time. Lombardi can have his opinion but Lombardi went over the top in his negative assessment of Allen to the point Tasker should have gave some counter arguments. Tasker needs to go. He brings nothing to the table on the show. 

Imo, as an interviewer, I do not think its his job to challenge the opinions of his guests by presenting his own.  It's not a debate.  He has plenty of time to present his own views in other show segments and does so.  He just needs to probe their view enough to fully see the foundation upon which their view is made.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This is like saying team X wins 95% of the time when they run for over 200 yards.

So what is Allen's record when he doesnt hit 60% (which he has never done for a full year).

1-6, I believe, as he is 9-0 when he does.  possibly 1-7 if you include the playoffs, but I don't know his playoff numbers.

...so...I, for one, would like to see him hit that over 60% mark a lot.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

Huge hole? I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Hole implies that the Bills have a proven bust or a washed veteran combo at QB. The Bills have a big question mark at QB for sure. Josh is still a developing QB and a lot of the Bills fortunes are going to rest on just how well he can do. But I would qualify Josh as a question mark because he is coming off of a season of progression and not regression. Yet his quality of play must at least moderately improve. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I had the same feeling, excepting that 9th grader feels generous... 

Sort of ashamed most of us haven’t achieved the ability to be compensated in any shape or form for producing something like that. 

Quite honestly, I should be taken to task since it's merely Lombardi's opinion I disagree with.  The slipshod article that Parrino wrote, and Parrino's editor approved are what I most take exception to.  The article seems just another in what passes for journalism nowadays.

• Like (+1) 1

My two cents (which is worth less than two cents): This year could actually be seen as year one for JA as he was so inexperienced as a college QB. He was in a program that didn't expose him to pro-style anything. (Remember the Potato Bowl). The last two years made up for that lack of pro-style experience. I know it is hard to be patient as a Bills fan. We waited this long  and I think this year is the year that JA will show the naysayers that they are wrong!!!

I'm in the camp of this being click-bait in the extremity of the headline.

But the actual concerns raised are legit. If we're being real...Josh hasn't played well against top competition namely the Patriots, and in the case of the playoff game, pretty much threw up on himself in the 2nd half against a bad secondary. My issue has moreso been with the deer in the headlights look he's especially had against the Pats, especially in the home game. That was really hard to stomach.

That being said, he is very talented and I think he's better than the numbers bear out, as controversial as that's become to say. But I have my concerns about him making the leap to the next level too, and I think that's fair. We'll see what happens this year with Diggs and hopefully the o-line will take a step forward too, that's actually my biggest worry going into this season. It's our weakest unit IMO and really the only issue I've had with Beane this offseason. 

But I agree with one of the posters above that it's become very polarizing in the sense that there's such extreme opinions about Josh, whether it's that he's a star already with no questionmarks and then the group that think he sucks. I don't think either is right yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I absolutely love when people say that they’ve never seen a QB improve his accuracy, because what they really mean is “except for all the ones that have”.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Pretty much every QB in the league improves their completion percentage over their career, especially from the first couple of years. So if that's the magic accuracy number, and people always point to that when criticizing Allen, then it's pretty clear that QB's do improve their accuracy.

But it's funny that we expect accuracy improvement at every level of football until they get to the pros, then it's impossible for accuracy to improve.

It’s not rare for QBs to improve their completion percentages as they grow.  It is rare that they do so dramatically, though.  Rare enough that most people don’t expect it from someone who was dead last in the league two years in a row.

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

It’s not rare for QBs to improve their completion percentages as they grow.  It is rare that they do so dramatically, though.  Rare enough that most people don’t expect it from someone who was dead last in the league two years in a row.

Not really.

You've been cited the examples of guys like Brees and Ryan (and a half dozen other high draft picks); you chose to marginalize their significance. Your prerogative, but it’s odd to say that it’s rare when it’s not.

Also, instead of citing completion percentage, which is largely affected by drop rate, it probably makes more sense to cite on-target percentage...but fair warning: it doesn’t quite buttress the argument as you might expect.