Michael Lombardi "Bills have a huge hole at QB".

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Certainly isn't an issue with accuracy, in my opinion. Never has been. Allen can put the ball wherever he wants.

His issues are with decision making. His worst throws are when he's getting driven back and he throws off his back foot to avoid a sack. Bad decision. I even think the deep throw misses (which are low percentage anyway) were a conscious decision to lead receivers more because he was scared to turn the ball over after that NE game.

Another problem is processing the play sometimes, which will come with experience.

People still pushing the "Josh Allen is inaccurate" narrative don't really understand what his real issues are.

This is why I think Josh will show great improvement this year. He has two years of experience now. Josh is probably (hopefully) at the point where the game is slowing down for him. That should make him more comfortable when he is in the pocket which should lead to better decision making in where to go with ball. If it does then the Bills will be right there with the Chiefs/Ravens in representing the AFC in the Super Bowl.

Why would we care what a failed front office guy thinks. He's not working for a team because his personnel decisions were poor. He's just a another tub of goo with a forum because he hooked on with the NFL network. Who does Lombardi think profiles well out of the 3rd year QBs, Mayfield?

Lombardi's job is to get attention..not write an insightful or groundbreaking article. He will take the most efficient route to doing so. Same way we eat up an article about Baker's troubles and Cleveland fans get all upset. Someone will post the article here and get a lot of people to go read it because how could be be so dumb to say these things about Allen while fans of other teams will go, "Haha, Bills have a RB at QB!"

I recall Trent Dilfer.....a leader, not a big league thrower.  And, Josh Allen is more than Trent Dilfer imho.  (Dilfer won a Super BTW)  We need to ride Josh up the learning curve here.  Will he win a Super Bowl....I look forward to seeing how that goes!

To me its more of a read and recognition issue than accuracy.   If you're not mentally processing the options available to distribute the ball to the receivers and select an option with the best potential for a positive play then you're going to select a receiver that might not be open or the best choice which makes the throw a lot harder.   Short version, make the smart throw. 

I've never paid attention to who Lombardi is, but apparently he's worked in player development and player assessment in the NFL for a long time.  That doesn't necessarily make him right, but for me it at least makes me stop and listen. If he learned anything in those 30 years, he probably sees and understands plenty of things that I don't. 

So, maybe he's seen enough in 30 years to know that Allen just isn't going to make it, that Allen's just an athlete playing quarterback and he'll never throw well enough to be a real success in the league.  That's certainly possible. 

That's not what I see. I see a guy who's learning to make decisions in a complicated offense in a complicated league. I don't think any quarterback can count on earning a living in the NFL by being a great runner, and that's part of the reason that I'm not on the Lamar Jackson bandwagon.  I think if you're going to have a solid, 15-year career in the NFL, you have to do it by being a good quarterback - being smart, efficient, a good decision maker and a good thrower.  I think Jackson is no better thrower than Allen - actually, I think he's worse, so I think his long-term prospects are no better than Allen's.  I'm not saying Jackson will be a long-term failure, but I don't see any reason why his chances of being a long-term success are better than Allen's.  

I think Lombardi is seeing Allen wrong.  The image of an athlete playing quarterback is a guy who's not a naturally great thrower, he's just an all-round athlete type of guy who has an ordinary throwing motion.  There's nothing ordinary about how Allen throws the ball. And I will continue to say that the "accuracy" argument is overblown. Guys with big arms who have failed in the NFL in the past have failed because they didn't master the mental aspects of the game, not because they had accuracy problems. 

I think Allen has the same problem Darnold has, the same problem Jackson has, the same problem Mayfield and Murray have: they have to master the mental aspects of the game.  Mental mastery is the one thing all the great quarterbacks have in common, not arm strength even accuracy.  Heck, look at Kelly, who isn't in the discussion of all time greats but who was definitely a franchise quarterback.  He didn't make it with accuracy or arm-strength.  He was the classic good athlete playing quarterback. He made it because of how he developed mentally, how he was able to control a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I've never paid attention to who Lombardi is, but apparently he's worked in player development and player assessment in the NFL for a long time.  That doesn't necessarily make him right, but for me it at least makes me stop and listen. If he learned anything in those 30 years, he probably sees and understands plenty of things that I don't. 

So, maybe he's seen enough in 30 years to know that Allen just isn't going to make it, that Allen's just an athlete playing quarterback and he'll never throw well enough to be a real success in the league.  That's certainly possible. 

That's not what I see. I see a guy who's learning to make decisions in a complicated offense in a complicated league. I don't think any quarterback can count on earning a living in the NFL by being a great runner, and that's part of the reason that I'm not on the Lamar Jackson bandwagon.  I think if you're going to have a solid, 15-year career in the NFL, you have to do it by being a good quarterback - being smart, efficient, a good decision maker and a good thrower.  I think Jackson is no better thrower than Allen - actually, I think he's worse, so I think his long-term prospects are no better than Allen's.  I'm not saying Jackson will be a long-term failure, but I don't see any reason why his chances of being a long-term success are better than Allen's.  

I think Lombardi is seeing Allen wrong.  The image of an athlete playing quarterback is a guy who's not a naturally great thrower, he's just an all-round athlete type of guy who has an ordinary throwing motion.  There's nothing ordinary about how Allen throws the ball. And I will continue to say that the "accuracy" argument is overblown. Guys with big arms who have failed in the NFL in the past have failed because they didn't master the mental aspects of the game, not because they had accuracy problems. 

I think Allen has the same problem Darnold has, the same problem Jackson has, the same problem Mayfield and Murray have: they have to master the mental aspects of the game.  Mental mastery is the one thing all the great quarterbacks have in common, not arm strength even accuracy.  Heck, look at Kelly, who isn't in the discussion of all time greats but who was definitely a franchise quarterback.  He didn't make it with accuracy or arm-strength.  He was the classic good athlete playing quarterback. He made it because of how he developed mentally, how he was able to control a game. 

This is all good.  I would add this:  If you are a "playmaking QB" that can make off script plays, there is even more to learn.  More bad plays come because there is an inclination to extend plays because they can and they have yet to develop a sense of when a play is there to be made or should be scrapped.  I think of an "athlete playing QB" as being very weak at QB aptitude, as you say yet to "master the mental aspects of the game" and not likely to ever do so.

Even though Al Davis had the title of GM, Mike Lombardi was the defato GM (Technically ‘Senior Personnel Executive’) of the Oakland Raiders when they drafted Jamarcus Russell. Even at this point Josh Allen is better than Jamarcus Russell. If you want to know more about Michael Lombardi read this https://bleacherreport.com/articles/258663-the-truth-about-oakland-raiders-draft-picks-and-michael-lombardi  or https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/michael-lombardi-ringer-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-jamarcus-russell

Edited by Protocal69

4 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Even though Al Davis had the title of GM, Mike Lombardi was the defato GM (Technically ‘Senior Personnel Executive’) of the Oakland Raiders when they drafted Jamarcus Russell. Even at this point Josh Allen is better than Jamarcus Russell. If you want to know more about Michael Lombardi read this https://bleacherreport.com/articles/258663-the-truth-about-oakland-raiders-draft-picks-and-michael-lombardi

Well, I don't know about all of that, but if Lombardi was responsible for choosing Jamarcus Russell, I'm less inclined to put much stock in his experience.   

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Lombardi's job is to get attention..not write an insightful or groundbreaking article. He will take the most efficient route to doing so. Same way we eat up an article about Baker's troubles and Cleveland fans get all upset. Someone will post the article here and get a lot of people to go read it because how could be be so dumb to say these things about Allen while fans of other teams will go, "Haha, Bills have a RB at QB!"

No what makes me mad is he said that on the Bills Radio with Steve Tasker and Tasker didn’t check him one time. Lombardi can have his opinion but Lombardi went over the top in his negative assessment of Allen to the point Tasker should have gave some counter arguments. Tasker needs to go. He brings nothing to the table on the show. 

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I can't put much stock in a piece so badly written and edited.  I do not know if it's Lombardi's fault, Parrino's fault, or Parrino's editor's fault.  Looks like the work of a grade 9 student, written on the school bus on the way to school the morning the assignment was due.

I had the same feeling, excepting that 9th grader feels generous... 

Sort of ashamed most of us haven’t achieved the ability to be compensated in any shape or form for producing something like that.