Garbage plate reviews

Just Jack

I miss the hot sauce omelette at TipTop Diner on Ridge Rd near Clinton. Used to have that after hours and sometimes as lunch on the graveyard shift.  

Any self-respecting cook from western NY should be able to whip up a ”hot sauce” a-la Don & Bobs, Vic & Irv’s, the Char Broil, Schaller’s. 

I miss Campy’s and their Bombers. I won’t mention Smitty’s and his great NC mustard hot sauce. Best chicken ever. He had a lot of wannabe followers who ripped him off. Had to be there in the 60s when he moved from storefront to storefront to keep ahead of the landlords. :ph34r: Good times. 

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Comedian Jim Gaffigan has a YouTube show where he goes and tries various local 'specialties' while he tours doing standup. He does one in Cleveland where he tries a few 'Polish Boys', last time he was in Rochester he goes out I believe to Nicks with a few others to try a garbage plate. He gave it a pretty good review.

He's been doing a cooking show while staying at home. One episode was a Garbage Plate....

4 hours ago, Irv said:

There is no substitute for Nick Tahou's.  None.  Often imitated never duplicated. 

42 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.... Tahou’s plates are distinct and the original, however, not the best IMO.

no disrespect intended, however.. even Stevie T's has better plates.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

Pound for pound, Mark’s on Monroe is my favorite plate in Rochester.  Bay Hots used to be my favorite, but I see they’re now closed.  Dogtown seems to be the new trendy favorite, but I’ve never had one.  Also heard of a Charlie’s Restaurant in Webster that is supposed to have a solid plate.  Again, never tried it though.  I need to get back to the Roc soon.

19 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This guy’s reviews are great. Love how serious he takes it!! 

watching a few of these makes me realize how much I miss Bill Gray’s. Totally forgot about that place— but that was a staple for me as a kid. Great burgers with hot sauce! 

Had that for lunch today.

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

no disrespect intended, however.. even Stevie T's has better plates.

Stevie T is Steve Tahou, a relative of Nick.  I learned that from one of the videos.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

Dogtown on Monroe Ave is #1 in my heart for garbage plates.

And for a fancy pants version of a garbage plate, the Gatehouse in Village Gate Square is pretty damned good:

636100438895911689-CO-GateHouse-0081816-

I was actually just telling my wife that someone needs to do a high-end foodie garbage plate. I didn’t know they existed!

my idea was a nice ribeye or angus burger and smoked sausage over truffle Parmesan fries. Can’t really think of an elevated version of Mac salad, which I think is critical. Spicy lentil chili sauce. Toasted brioche bread. 

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I was actually just telling my wife that someone needs to do a high-end foodie garbage plate. I didn’t know they existed!

my idea was a nice ribeye or angus burger and smoked sausage over truffle Parmesan fries. Can’t really think of an elevated version of Mac salad, which I think is critical. Spicy lentil chili sauce. Toasted brioche bread. 

The Gatehouse is on a similar wavelength.

Garlic-parm fries, more of a vinegar-based pasta salad as opposed to mac salad (controversial to some, I'm sure, but it's a good change). Higher quality burger patties and meat sauce, and two big old onion rings on top. 

I was skeptical when a friend took me there after a long day traveling to and from a Bills win, but my skepticism quickly abated once I tried it. It was really good. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, Success said:

I don't live in Western NY anymore.  Believe it or not, you can now get very good Buffalo wings just about anywhere - not quite AS good, but really solid (unlike 20 years ago, when I'd order Buffalo wings and get mini fried chicken).

I respectfully disagree.  I think great wings CAN be found elsewhere.  There's a place where I live (6 hours east of Buffalo) that has great wings.  But it's not easy to find excellent wings outside of Western NY.  Good wings ... even very good wings ... sure.  But truly great wings?  Not easy to find, IMO.