Slavery Ended 150 years ago. GET OVER IT!

10 hours ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

I hear Jamestown is beautiful for three days in June. I better hurry.

I went there a few years ago. The original fort is a cool tour. Good museum there too.

20 hours ago, Paulus said:

The United States didn't start slavery, it ended it. It also defeated the Nazis and the Commies. All of those are very bad, bzut for some reason it is cool to be a commie, these days. I digress, but the United States of America is pretty damn awesome, and we should never forget that, even though there are hard times.

Correct and if they are going to talk abut reparations let's start here

https://theculturetrip.com/africa/ghana/articles/ghana-s-slave-castles-the-shocking-story-of-the-ghanaian-cape-coast/

My wife and daughter visited one of the castles when they went to Ghana with our priest who was from Ghana. They keep the castles to remember their part in the slave trade.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

Slavery  ended 150 years ago GET OVER IT.. . I'm intrigued by the thread title.  I'll watch the youtube sometime tomorrow to get all the info presented  What did we ever do without Youtube?

Ever consider that maybe systemic racism exists because of slavery. Maybe people just can't "get over it" that easily? It's a generational curse and scourge to their history. Very relevant to today and imperative we understand this view if any hope of real change exists. 

What is systemic racism and how is slavery relevant today beyond the historical lesson?

55 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

What is systemic racism and how is slavery relevant today beyond the historical lesson?

...well Mr. BET thinks we should pay up anyway......"assuage your guilt"......SMH.........

Robert Johnson's Big Idea: $14 trillion in slavery reparations to African-Americans

'I think that would be a huge emotional assuaging of guilt'

By Marisa Schultz | Fox News

Robert Johnson, the founder of Black Entertainment Television, says it's time America atones for slavery and systemic racism by paying African-Americans reparations to make them economically equal to white Americans.

Johnson, the first black billionaire in the United States, has put a price tag on the debt America owes to African-Americans at $14 trillion.

"Nobody talks about cash, but black people understand cash," Johnson told Fox News.

Under his proposal, an estimated 40 million African-Americans would get $350,000 in direct cash payments over 30 years (costing the average taxpayer roughly $2,900 a year, according to his office). The $350,000 would signify the wealth disparity between African-Americans and white Americans.

To say this is controversial is an understatement. Some Democratic lawmakers have warmed to the discussion, but often in the form of commissions and other partial measures. A Fox News poll last year found most Americans are opposed to cash reparations. And with the government already spending trillions on coronavirus relief and the national debt pushing past $26 trillion, concerns about the country's fiscal stability would pose an obvious hurdle.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/robert-johnsons-big-idea-14-trillion-slavery-reparations-payments-to-african-americans

...debt owed by taxpayers?.....who the hell did WE TODAY enslave?......dangerous stuff.............

Q: Would this be a special reparations new tax that would fund this program?

Johnson: Ultimately, it's a debt owed by the taxpayers. And reparations is a debt owed by the nation as a whole because all of the wealth that was taken from slaves. Free labor is a transfer of wealth.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

I am guessing novels have been written about the underlined topic. I'll find a link to one and post it. I'm not trying to be difficult. The answer to that.question wouldn't be done justice in a one sentence dialogue

systemic racism is racism in my opinion  that is entrenched into a society resulting in discrimination in matters of criminal justice, housing , employment etc to be acceptable, accepted and okay when based on a persons skin color stereotype

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

I am guessing novels have been written about the underlined topic. I'll find a link to one and post it. I'm not trying to be difficult. The answer to that.question wouldn't be done justice in a one sentence dialogue

systemic racism is racism in my opinion  that is entrenched into a society resulting in discrimination in matters of criminal justice, housing , employment etc to be acceptable, accepted and okay when based on a persons skin color stereotype

....how long has it existed albeit based on skin color or more appropriately based on ethnicity (worldwide in thousands of years and STILL going) or even geography (aka STILL  rednecks vs the Yankees) in the US?.....what is your proposed "magic cure" for utopian peace and harmony?.........

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...well Mr. BET thinks we should pay up anyway......"assuage your guilt"......SMH.........

Robert Johnson's Big Idea: $14 trillion in slavery reparations to African-Americans

Robert Johnson, the founder of Black Entertainment Television, says it's time America atones for slavery and systemic racism by paying African-Americans reparations to make them economically equal to white Americans.

Johnson, the first black billionaire in the United States, has put a price tag on the debt America owes to African-Americans at $14 trillion.

"Nobody talks about cash, but black people understand cash," Johnson told Fox News.

Under his proposal, an estimated 40 million African-Americans would get $350,000 in direct cash payments over 30 years (costing the average taxpayer roughly $2,900 a year, according to his office). The $350,000 would signify the wealth disparity between African-Americans and white Americans.

To say this is controversial is an understatement. Some Democratic lawmakers have warmed to the discussion, but often in the form of commissions and other partial measures. A Fox News poll last year found most Americans are opposed to cash reparations. And with the government already spending trillions on coronavirus relief and the national debt pushing past $26 trillion, concerns about the country's fiscal stability would pose an obvious hurdle.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/robert-johnsons-big-idea-14-trillion-slavery-reparations-payments-to-african-americans

...debt owed by taxpayers?.....who the hell did WE TODAY enslave?......dangerous stuff.............

Johnson: Ultimately, it's a debt owed by the taxpayers. And reparations is a debt owed by the nation as a whole because all of the wealth that was taken from slaves. Free labor is a transfer of wealth.

We could take all of the country's wealth from everyone, spread it evenly amongst the population and the same 1% of people or so would be rich a few years later and the same that are poor now would likely be poor again and it has nothing to do with race. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

We could take all of the country's wealth from everyone, spread it evenly amongst the population and the same 1% of people or so would be rich a few years later and the same that are poor now would likely be poor again and it has nothing to do with race. 

...exactly.....look how many come into unexpected wealth and are eventually broke.......and I have no statistics nor am I qualified to assert racial or ethnic breakdown.....it is actually a dichotomy......many try to manage their new found wealth on their own and fail......others turn to "financial advisors (COUGH)" and get ripped off either from outright theft or poor investment recommendations.....new found wealth becomes a perfect pool for predatory scams......

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Absolutely correct! Anyone doubt it’s true? Look at the looters during the height of the riots. Did they go get something they could invest or grow? Nope! They went into the liquor store! I’m guessing that case of beer was long now pissed down the toilet. Well done!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Slavery tore apart an entire ethnic group's family, sense of justice, morals, means to educate, ties to their homeland, most of their culture, to name a few.

Precisely the things every other ethnic group relied on to pull themselves up by their bootstraps upon coming here.

Then couple that with 100 years of widespread racism in a society unwilling to help.  Then another 55 years or so of slow improvements and here you are today.  Still struggling.

150 years.  That's 3 generations.  Ever look at how alcoholism affects generations of families?  And that's in white people.  But that's why the effects of slavery still influence today.

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....how long has it existed albeit based on skin color or more appropriately based on ethnicity (worldwide in thousands of years and STILL going) or even geography (aka STILL  rednecks vs the Yankees) in the US?.....what is your proposed "magic cure" for utopian peace and harmony?.........

Give me a break with the "magic cure" crap.

But any solution has to come from mostly within the black community.   Sadly, Bill Cosby was on the right track before all his past crimes caught up with him.  Personally I think the black athletes, if  convinced to give back and work within their communities, even with outside funding support it would really go a long way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Come Lord Jesus Christ

*drops the Mic*

12 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Give me a break with the "magic cure" crap.

But any solution has to come from mostly within the black community.   Sadly, Bill Cosby was on the right track before all his past crimes caught up with him.  Personally I think the black athletes, if  convinced to give back and work within their communities, even with outside funding support it would really go a long way.

..then help me understand as an apparent disconnected caucasian......why isn't there significant moral outrage in the African American community about heinous black on black crime?.....infants and toddlers being murdered because of unsatisfied drug debts?.....horrific Chicago numbers weekly?......alleged stalwarts like Jackson and Sharpton no where to be found?.....are these actions just taken for granted as in "oh well"?.....community leaders/church leaders plead weekly to "help us stop this violence in our black community" that are ignored or go unheeded?....if those within the overall African-American community nationwide are ignored,  how can outsiders fix this?....what say you?...............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Slavery tore apart an entire ethnic group's family, sense of justice, morals, means to educate, ties to their homeland, most of their culture, to name a few.

Precisely the things every other ethnic group relied on to pull themselves up by their bootstraps upon coming here.

Then couple that with 100 years of widespread racism in a society unwilling to help.  Then another 55 years or so of slow improvements and here you are today.  Still struggling.

150 years.  That's 3 generations.  Ever look at how alcoholism affects generations of families?  And that's in white people.  But that's why the effects of slavery still influence today.

150 years is not 3 generations 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

"but black people understand cash." 

Really?  That sounds racist to me, are they unable to understand stocks and bonds, deferred taxes, commodities markets, mutual funds?

Only cash, huh?? There's something simple enough for black folk to understand.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

2,900 dollars annually per taxpayer?  Most households in WNY only make around 35K combined per year and they are just hanging on.  And that was before Corona put its whammy on businesses.  This proposal is only going to give rise to hate groups if it ever comes to fruition.