Players who will shape 2020 NFL season: It will be hard for Josh Allen to mess this up

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/players-who-will-shape-2020-nfl-season-it-will-be-hard-for-josh-allen-to-mess-this-up-223742667.html

After a strong 2019 season, it looks like the Buffalo Bills are on the precipice of a successful rebuild. Buffalo had not made the postseason since the 1999 season before Sean McDermott came aboard. The head coach has guided them to two playoff appearances in his three seasons. The foundation has been constructed

The 2020 season can mark the dawn of a new age for the Bills. What’s been unthinkable for almost two decades is now well within reach: The Bills can be the team to beat in the AFC East.

... after being ousted from the playoffs following a misery-inducing loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, Buffalo looked itself in the mirror and decided that as good as Taylor was, the team had a capped ceiling with him at quarterback. No matter what you think of the evaluation of the move that came afterward, it’s clear that was the calculation.

13 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Read this yesterday. There’s some solid points but it also just feels like one big well worded passive aggressive shot at Allen. 

Some of you are really darn sensitive.... it was a solid piece. The numbers when his time to throw is 3.5 seconds were interesting and kind of support what I have said from day 1 with Josh. He is at his best when in rhythm with the ball coming out of his hand quickly. When he holds it that is usually a sign of clouded thinking and things start to go wrong. I think the Bills still have to get better at designing and executing drive starters for Allen because once he hits that first pass of a drive he is a different player. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of you are really darn sensitive.... it was a solid piece. The numbers when his time to throw is 3.5 seconds were interesting and kind of support what I have said from day 1 with Josh. He is at his best when in rhythm with the ball coming out of his hand quickly. When he holds it that is usually a sign of clouded thinking and things start to go wrong. I think the Bills still have to get better at designing and executing drive starters for Allen because once he hits that first pass of a drive he is a different player. 

I’m not being sensitive in the least. I’m not one bit worked up about it. It read to me like a backhanded article. “All he has to do is not screw it up”.... real positive talk there about the qb. 

Or how about “It has taken us some digging to get here but there is some hope Josh Allen can execute this newly designed offense with its wealth of skill-position talent into high gear. It will require the Bills to take yet another step to make Allen’s life easier.” .... so the bills literally need to cater everything to Allen. He’s obviously not capable of improving 

the guy is basically building in excuses later on down the line if Allen turns out to be any good. I think that’s pretty clear. Couldn’t just be that he improved. Gotta be the what the FO did for him and how they catered the offense. Even josh Allen couldn’t screw this one up, right? 

You can book this... IF Allen ever turns out to be a consistently good NFL qb the majority will build in numerous excuses as to what the team did for him as opposed to him just developing into a solid qb. That’s been the case up to this point through his improvement because people’s takes have been so strong on him, they can’t afford to be THAT wrong on a guy. 

there’s no sensitivity on my end there. That’s just how I’ve seen things play out. 

.... I also 100% agree that, at this point in his career, you can almost always predict how a drive is gonna go based on his first couple passes. I’m just of the opinion he doesn’t need coddled with it and as he becomes a better qb it won’t be the case anymore. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He's usually scrambling if he has more than 3.5 seconds. If he holds the ball that long it's because nobody is open and Allen is scrambling and throwing on the run.

3.5 seconds is a long time after a drop back.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And what you're saying supports what I've been saying from day 1 ... Brian Daboll needs to be better and Sean McDermott needs to see to it.  The Baltimore Ravens' coaching staff made an MVP out of a mediocre at best QB.  How?  By realizing and utilizing his strengths and surrounding him with the necessary talent.

The talent is here. Daboll needs to be better.

EDIT:  As much as I think Daboll needs to be better, I also believe Josh needs to be better.  No more excuses.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And what you're saying supports what I've been saying from day 1 ... Brian Daboll needs to be better and Sean McDermott needs to see to it.  The Baltimore Ravens' coaching staff made an MVP out of a mediocre at best QB.  How?  By realizing and utilizing his strengths and surrounding him with the necessary talent.

I think Daboll has to be better too. But in his defense and I guess one thing I kinda like, is that they seem to be going for the more long term development approach with JA (which I think is the correct move).

They’re not trying to catch some lightning for a year or two with a gimmicky offense like the Ravens are doing. They seem to be throwing a lot at him, letting him sink or swim a bit, then adjusting as necessary. It seems like for the first time in forever, they’re actually trying to build a guy up for a 10+ year career as a legit starter.

I can get behind that, even if it doesn’t work out in the long run. Especially with someone like JA who has incredible physical talent but was pretty raw coming out of college.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, MJS said:

He's usually scrambling if he has more than 3.5 seconds. If he holds the ball that long it's because nobody is open and Allen is scrambling and throwing on the run.

3.5 seconds is a long time after a drop back.

I disagree with the nobody is open. His worst game for time to throw last season was Cleveland and there were receivers open all game that he jus didn't see. Sometimes it is on the line, no always. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

But Josh needs to be better too. There are drives where Daboll has designed the perfect drive starter and Allen throws into the dirt. It is on all of them. You can't look at where Allen is now without giving Brian Daboll some of the credit for that IMO. 

3 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I think Daboll has to be better too. But in his defense and I guess one thing I kinda like, is that they seem to be going for the more long term development approach with JA (which I think is the correct move).

They’re not trying to catch some lightning for a year or two with a gimmicky offense like the Ravens are doing. They seem to be throwing a lot at him, letting him sink or swim a bit, then adjusting as necessary. It seems like for the first time in forever, they’re actually trying to build a guy up for a 10+ year career as a legit starter.

I can get behind that, even if it doesn’t work out in the long run. Especially with someone like JA who has incredible physical talent but was pretty raw coming out of college.

Agree. It is why I don't get worked up about whether they run the ball enough. This is the NFL. If your quarterback is the right quarterback then when the game is on the line put the ball in his hands. Allen is better with it in his hands anyway. He isn't early Joe Flacco or Russell Wilson where he wants to lean on the running game and then make that one big 3rd down conversion per drive. Allen wants it in his hands. Daboll recognises that and for the most part puts it there.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, major said:

Soon, Josh Allen will rule the world 

266B86C4-5A37-4C31-83CE-50FA65CF23FF.jpeg

Kalima, Kalima!  Nice reference. Maybe Josh can eat monkey brains too.  That was disgusting for the dinner scene.  Reminds me in the early 90’s I was a 22 year old teacher and during final exams (after) we would watch these Indian Jones movies.  Nice chuckle so thanks.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

GB, I kind of thought the same thing in that I didn’t take it for once as a slam on Allen, but he had the weakest talent compared to what Lamar, Baker, and so on had in their stable.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But Josh needs to be better too. There are drives where Daboll has designed the perfect drive starter and Allen throws into the dirt. It is on all of them. You can't look at where Allen is now without giving Brian Daboll some of the credit for that IMO.

Josh absolutely needs to be better (I'm going to edit my post) and I've always maintained that.  I just think that, throughout their tenures with the Bills, Josh Allen has been a better QB than Brian Daboll has been an OC.  And Allen has continually improved/adjusted.  But yes ... they both certainly need to better (and smarter).

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Josh absolutely needs to be better (I'm going to edit my post) and I've always maintained that.  I just think that, throughout their tenures with the Bills, Josh Allen has been a better QB than Brian Daboll has been an OC.  And Allen has continually improved/adjusted.  But yes ... they both certainly need to better (and smarter).

I find it difficult to detach the two but overall our offensive failures have been more talent (mean overall talent not just Josh) than coaching. I am absolutely convinced of that. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I find it difficult to detach the two but overall our offensive failures have been more talent (mean overall talent not just Josh) than coaching. I am absolutely convinced of that. 

I won't disagree with this.  Drops, missed blocks, dumb penalties, general lack of execution ... they've all plagued the offense.  Like you said .. everyone - players and coaches - needs to step it up a notch.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

3.5 seconds in a clean pocket? Or 3.5 seconds overall. Cause you know he does extend plays with his feet....

and plays that are extended because of incoming pressure or good coverage do have a lower chance of success.

We know that right?

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

3.5 seconds in a clean pocket? Or 3.5 seconds overall. Cause you know he does extend plays with his feet....

and plays that are extended because of incoming pressure or good coverage do have a lower chance of success.

We know that right?

Yes. We know all that. We also know that the games where Josh holds the ball longest are the games where he is less efficient. It generally means he (and in fairness the rest of the offense but it starts with Josh) is out of rhythm.

Folks will call this article a slam against Josh, but almost everyone agrees that next season and the Bills future hinges on Josh. 

Whether you say that by saying “Josh needs to take a step” or “Josh needs to not screw up,” the real message remains the same.