NY State COVID-19 quarantine and training camp.

TigerJ

Governor Cuomo says persons coming to NY State from high risk COVID-19 states have to quarantine for 14 days.  With Josh Allen practicing in Florida, this is an issue as Florida is one of the states being named.  An article in Buffalo Rumblings suggests players might want to start coming to Buffalo now to get their quarantine done before training camp.  I wonder if the Bills could negotiate with the state and have the state consider that training camp itself will qualify as a quarantine.  The Bills might have to make some housing arrangements other than having players stay in their homes, so they can be kind of an isolated community.

Here's the Buffalo Rumblings article:  New COVID-19 Quarantine Could Impact Buffalo Bills Training Camp

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How will this even be monitored by the state of ny

I had a friend who is a transporter. A few months ago he picked up a run where he flew to Texas to pick up the load. He had to give the place he was staying to a cop, Marshall, whatever, for random checks to quarantine. 

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How will this even be monitored by the state of ny

Well, in RI apparently they set up roadblocks to inform everyone coming into the state they had to quarantine, and likewise informed arriving air passengers.

I don't know if they will follow up and check or enforce it.  I kind of doubt they really have the contact-tracing manpower, but if the covid-19 cases in state stay low, maybe they do.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Governor Cuomo says persons coming to NY State from high risk COVID-19 states have to quarantine for 14 days.  With Josh Allen practicing in Florida, this is an issue as Florida is one of the states being named.  An article in Buffalo Rumblings suggests players might want to start coming to Buffalo now to get their quarantine done before training camp.  I wonder if the Bills could negotiate with the state and have the state consider that training camp itself will qualify as a quarantine.  The Bills might have to make some housing arrangements other than having players stay in their homes, so they can be kind of an isolated community.

Here's the Buffalo Rumblings article:  New COVID-19 Quarantine Could Impact Buffalo Bills Training Camp

Josh Allen in CA currently, though not sure that's better?

I’ve heard from friends who said the Florida border was backed up for miles trying to keep those New Yorkers out. You can’t “make them” quarantine once there, but you can discourage the move. Now the tables have turned. What a mess......

You can find webcams at almost any site you are curious about that will show you irresponsible behavior. 

Well Hapless, good point, but RI is basically a postage stamp compared to the geography of NYS.  Just thinking of the borders, it would be almost impossible to have borders on every front entering the state.  I don’t even live in NY anymore, but cuomo seems like he likes the microphone.  Nothing against him at all.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well Hapless, good point, but RI is basically a postage stamp compared to the geography of NYS.  Just thinking of the borders, it would be almost impossible to have borders on every front entering the state.  I don’t even live in NY anymore, but cuomo seems like he likes the microphone.  Nothing against him at all.

So the states are Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Arizona, Washington, Florida, and Utah?

I would assume they would focus efforts on airports if they want to advise people to quarantine or get address/contact info - maybe try to get them to be tested.  Not likely too many people driving into NYS from Texas, Arizona, Utah and Washington.  More from the Carolinas, Bama and Florida

For the rest, I would assume they would focus on checkpointing the interstates, not on trying to "wall off" the entire border.   That's what, maybe 12-15 interstates/major US hwys?  And yeah, NYS is bigger than RI but also has more resources, and RI has 6-8 interstates.

They'll miss people but it's a numbers game.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So the states are Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Arizona, Washington, Florida, and Utah?

I would assume they would focus efforts on airports if they want to advise people to quarantine or get address/contact info - maybe try to get them to be tested.

Not too many people driving into NYS from Texas, Arizona, Utah and Washington

For the rest, I would assume they would focus on checkpointing the interstates, not on trying to "wall off" the entire border.   That's what, maybe 12-15 interstates/major US hwys?

And yeah, NYS is bigger than RI but also has more resources, and RI has 6-8 interstates.

On a humorous note, my sister’s family would do ALL those drives! They once drove 6 hours out of their way to drive thru Utah on a trip out west....so they could check Utah off of their list of states. They have checked off all the states multiple times and are now working countries and continents. 

They are driving from Wisconsin to Atlanta this weekend so the BIL can hook up the gas grill we gave to their daughters. Every family has something like that. Right??? 

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

the BR article doesn’t state when training camps are scheduled to begin, which is the end of July. Allen and any other Bill has plenty of time to come back and, if necessary, quarantine for the 14 days and be ready to go when training camp begins. Thanks for the link, but I’m not sure what the problem is here.

We have a 14 day quarantine we've been implementing in Hawai'i since this started. Pretty easy because the only way in is by air... at least once the cruise ships were quickly turned away.

Mainland quarantines would be impossible since you can easily drive across state lines.

People will break these rules more than they will follow them.

10 hours ago, Mango said:

I had a friend who is a transporter. A few months ago he picked up a run where he flew to Texas to pick up the load. He had to give the place he was staying to a cop, Marshall, whatever, for random checks to quarantine. 

Correct. I live in TX and anytime you get off a plane from a place listed in the Governor's executive order (New York, Jersey, Miami, Atlanta, Washington, California, etc) Troopers were waiting at bottom of the jet bridge with self quarantine paperwork. It's been a real pain for essential work travel. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

We all see what’s going on here. They can’t enforce a quarantine to everyone entering the state. It will be honor code only and nobody respects the govt so as Americans, we do what we want. 

“Doing what we want” without regard to the virus and others health is the problem, wouldn’t you think?  Could you imagine today’s Americans living through the restrictions put on our society during the WWII era? Today’s Americans would be having a non stop temper tantrum, and we would likely lose that war. Just like we are currently losing the fight against this virus, sad really, to many Americans just can’t be bothered to pitch in for the common good. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

“Doing what we want” without regard to others health is the problem, wouldn’t you think?  From my perspective it is stunning how little Americans care about each others health, when it comes to this virus, could you imagine today’s Americans living through the restrictions of the WWII era? Today’s Americans would be having a non stop temper tantrum, and we would likely lose the war. 

Yeah but if people want to take a vacation then they have a right too. Like I plan on going to Hershey PA in July and when I enter back to NY State, I don't plan on quarantining. No need to coming from PA.

28 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Yeah but if people want to take a vacation then they have a right too. Like I plan on going to Hershey PA in July and when I enter back to NY State, I don't plan on quarantining. No need to coming from PA.

And this is my point,  I mean if “WE” want to contain and beat this virus we ALL need to pitch in and do the right thing or we are saying I’m not willing to help out??  Yes it’s harder to do the right thing to help out our fellow country men and women, but some sacrifice is needed if “WE” do not want to spread this virus to our loved ones and neighbors, including our neighboring states. It begs the questioned,  Are we a united country anymore? Do we as “Americans” care about each other? If not what have we become? 

Edited by Don Otreply

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

And this is my point,  I mean if “WE” want to contain and beat this virus we ALL need to pitch in and do the right thing or we are saying I’m not willing to help out??  Yes it’s harder to do the right thing to help out our fellow country men and women, but some sacrifice is needed if “WE” do not want to spread this virus to our loved ones and neighbors, including our neighboring states. It begs the questioned,  Are we a united country anymore? Do we as “Americans” care about each other? If not what have we become? 

I don't see a big deal with taking a family to an amusement park, they are opening up anyway, it's time to have a little fun. If you want to stay in your house all summer then so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Can't see how training camp would suffice as JA for example would be intermingling with others who stayed in WNY, McD for example, plus exposing himself to all the staff, ball boys, etc.   Maybe they'll give a few days credit for training camp, if kept out of main stream?

I'd think the simple answer is, get here now.