2020 NFL roster rankings for all 32 teams: Ravens are first, and Jaguars are last

The #7 ranking is about right. PFF's absurd ranking metric has to be ignored. Calling Josh Norman the X Factor is really lazy and silly. And the tired narrative on Josh's completion percentage is just them justifying their original assessment of JA pre draft. The Bills are a 7th ranked type team because they'll have a top 5 defense and a much improved offense with Josh having new weapons like Diggs & Moss to compliment Singlerary, Smoke, Beas and Knox. If there is a season I guarantee you Josh will hit 60%.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

5 hours ago, eball said:

They've essentially admitted they bash Josh Allen to drive Bills fans to discuss their content.  No credibility whatsoever.  If you're a data organization, be driven by data.

They are mostly driven by data (though depending on what you think of watching the games and assigning scores on a play-by-play basis, that aspect might not technically be data-driven). The data that they collect suggests that Allen is a bad quarterback.

They then use that fact and Bills fans' loyalty to Allen to drive clicks to their site. There's no coordinated attack to try to make Allen look bad; their data does that work for them.

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They are mostly driven by data (though depending on what you think of watching the games and assigning scores on a play-by-play basis, that aspect might not technically be data-driven). The data that they collect suggests that Allen is a bad quarterback.

They then use that fact and Bills fans' loyalty to Allen to drive clicks to their site. There's no coordinated attack to try to make Allen look bad; their data does that work for them.

What data did they have to suggest that Duck Hodges was the better QB?

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What data did they have to suggest that Duck Hodges was the better QB?

That was an article in which one guy had to try to make the case for one team and the other had to try to make the case for the other. At the time, Hodges had a higher grade (though similar to my point regarding nickel corners vs. a corner like Tre, Hodges and Allen play totally different roles for their teams). I doubt the guy that was arguing for the Steelers legitimately believed Hodges was the better QB; he was just trying to make a case for the Steelers and had the grade (which was based on a very limited sample size at the time) to try to back his point up.

Just now, DCOrange said:

That was an article in which one guy had to try to make the case for one team and the other had to try to make the case for the other. At the time, Hodges had a higher grade (though similar to my point regarding nickel corners vs. a corner like Tre, Hodges and Allen play totally different roles for their teams). I doubt the guy that was arguing for the Steelers legitimately believed Hodges was the better QB; he was just trying to make a case for the Steelers and had the grade (which was based on a very limited sample size at the time) to try to back his point up.

So...wouldn't that suggest their data or their ability to synthesize is at least open to debate?

Just now, GoBills808 said:

So...wouldn't that suggest their data or their ability to synthesize is at least open to debate?

For sure, which is what me and Gunner have been saying. It's just a tool and it's not at all an infallible tool. Like any other means of measuring a player's performance, it has its flaws.

Just now, DCOrange said:

For sure, which is what me and Gunner have been saying. It's just a tool and it's not at all an infallible tool. Like any other means of measuring a player's performance, it has its flaws.

I think their raking of White is enough to disregard them for the most part. I see no justification for that other than trolling.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think their raking of White is enough to disregard them for the most part. I see no justification for that other than trolling.

They've never raked him to my knowledge. They received a ton of flak because he didn't have an elite grade this past season despite most people thinking he was top 5 at his position. As a result, PFF has had to come out and explain the reasoning behind his grade not being super high. Despite that, they have him ranked as the 4th best corner in the league heading into this upcoming season.

It's a bit shocking that the underlying data wasn't as good as we perceived him to be last season, but at the end of the day, PFF agrees with everyone else that White is a tremendous player. I think there are bigger snubs than White as far as the Bills go personally.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:44 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

The #7 ranking is about right. PFF's absurd ranking metric has to be ignored. Calling Josh Norman the X Factor is really lazy and silly. And the tired narrative on Josh's completion percentage is just them justifying their original assessment of JA pre draft. The Bills are a 7th ranked type team because they'll have a top 5 defense and a much improved offense with Josh having new weapons like Diggs & Moss to compliment Singlerary, Smoke, Beas and Knox. If there is a season I guarantee you Josh will hit 60%.

Citing Norman as a big factor to the success of the corner position opposite of White is fair. Right now the Bills have opposite Tre T.Johnson a good slot corner but one that has trouble staying healthy, Levi Wallace a decent number two corner but someone not really wowing you either, Norman a reclamation project with experience within the system, another reclamation project with experience in the system in EJ Gaines and some other lesser heralded players and late round picks. 

It's not an exciting group so if Norman has a bounce back year that could be a big factor to the defensive secondaries success. Defensively I don't know who else is a big X factor. You have a pair of vet safeties who should be solid, a pair of very good LB's and a decent third LB and a deep D-line with a lot of starting caliber players. The only other defensive X-Factor is maybe Addision as the edge pass rush is being led in large part by him as Hughes hasn't put up big sack numbers (good pressure numbers recently though) but they need someone else who can get after the Qb off the edge. 

On 6/25/2020 at 3:27 PM, GoBills808 said:

Just to further clarify what was said by PFF, it was a highly qualified comment about Hodges and Allen.  It was something to the effect of Hodges having been graded higher than Allen in the couple games leading up to the Bills v Steelers game.  The guy made a point of how difficult it was to find any positive thing to say in regard to the Steelers offense and Hodges versus the Bills.  

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Just to further clarify what was said by PFF, it was a highly qualified comment about Hodges and Allen.  It was something to the effect of Hodges having been graded higher than Allen in the couple games leading up to the Bills v Steelers game.  The guy made a point of how difficult it was to find any positive thing to say in regard to the Steelers offense and Hodges versus the Bills.  

So your saying that the statement was taken out of context and blown all out of proportion.

I`m shocked, shocked, that there is taking out of context going on here

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

image.thumb.jpeg.7afb30cb14dc21a059c9ba1c8bf800bf.jpeg

Seems about right. Only superstar on D is White right now, Edmunds and Oliver look to be on their way. Offense will hinge on Josh, I’m confident he can take another big step this year. Receiver group is top 3-5 in the league for sure.