2020 NFL roster rankings for all 32 teams: Ravens are first, and Jaguars are last

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

7 feels fair, I’m higher on Josh than they are. They were WAY too low last year at 29. This is a talented (and deep) roster.

I think Josh will surprise many this year. He's very good on the intermediate completions. The long ball will come. I think this will be a major improvement this year. Watch out!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

7 feels fair, I’m higher on Josh than they are. They were WAY too low last year at 29. This is a talented (and deep) roster.

Good call, KJ. The Bills are getting some respect, for a change.

But Josh continues to be just the opposite. How in the world does Dwayne Haskins get a better grade (67.6) than Josh (64.1)??? Haskins was a deer in the headlights last year!! And Josh is far from a liability to this team. His intangibles are tremendous, and his measurables are improving practically game by game.

Does anyone know how PFF gets their ratings? Is it based on real things, or just a wetted finger in the wind?

1 hour ago, first_and_ten said:

I think Josh will surprise many this year. He's very good on the intermediate completions. The long ball will come. I think this will be a major improvement this year. Watch out!!!!

He has gotten better every year since Junior College, trends rarely lie.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

7th is definitely fair but my mind is blown on how we could have a universally top 3-5 ranked d and not have one single player ranked even above average. 

that’s just foolish IMO. 

All Pro Tre White isn't above average?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

7th is definitely fair but my mind is blown on how we could have a universally top 3-5 ranked d and not have one single player ranked even above average. 

that’s just foolish IMO. 

Actually that is the one missing piece of this defence,   They don't have that one Super Star who takes over a game and dominate...Look at what Watt did in that playoff game in Q3...  I hope White goes on to be that player for the Bills. 

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Actually that is the one missing piece of this defence,   They don't have that one Super Star who takes over a game and dominate...Look at what Watt did in that playoff game in Q3...  I hope White goes on to be that player for the Bills. 

White was a first team all pro that led the league in INTS and swayed numerous games on his own. He’s absolutely a super star.... PFF says he’s the 19 best corner in the NFL. That’s beyond absurd. 

53 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

All Pro Tre White isn't above average?

Not according to their grades

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

White was a first team all pro that led the league in INTS and swayed numerous games on his own. He’s absolutely a super star.... PFF says he’s the 19 best corner in the NFL. That’s beyond absurd. 

I was intrigued by this article until I saw it was PFF clickbait. 

They grade players on a 1-100 scale in a way nobody can understand. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

7 feels fair; I’m higher on Josh than they are. They were WAY too low last year at 29. This is a talented (and deep) roster.

They had us 29th last year?! That's pretty hilarious. Virtually the same roster is now 7th, haha.

53 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

And he didn't allow a single TD according to them with opposing QB's having a rating of 42 when targeting him. Shows that they really missed the mark. He's a top 3 corner in this league.

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

7 feels fair; I’m higher on Josh than they are. They were WAY too low last year at 29. This is a talented (and deep) roster.

Yeah, Pffffft loses credibility year after year.  29th last season was a joke, and of course they will beat the “Josh Allen is a bust” drum until the cows come home.

22 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, Pffffft loses credibility year after year.  29th last season was a joke, and of course they will beat the “Josh Allen is a bust” drum until the cows come home.

That’s another thing I hate about PFF. Since their ratings are completely arbitrary and make no sense they can boost up/knock down guys they liked and didn’t like in the draft. 

10 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

that’s just foolish IMO. 

Technically they have 4 guys that are above average. They just made "average" a relatively wide range of ratings for some reason. But if a 69.9 is below-average, that implies that a 70.0 is average and anything above that would in actuality be above-average, even if only slightly so. Also, Diggs was in their top 5-10 of WRs last year if I recall correctly and that somehow falls into their average ranking. I don't have access to PFF anymore, but I think if we took the average rating of a starter at their given position, the Bills would have at least 8 players that are technically above-average.

Edited by DCOrange

33 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Technically they have 4 guys that are above average. They just made "average" a relatively wide range of ratings for some reason. But if a 69.9 is below-average, that implies that a 70.0 is average and anything above that would in actuality be above-average, even if only slightly so. Also, Diggs was in their top 5-10 of WRs last year if I recall correctly and that somehow falls into their average ranking. I don't have access to PFF anymore, but I think if we took the average rating of a starter at their given position, the Bills would have at least 8 players that are technically above-average.

White finished the year as their 19th ranked corner.... NO. FREAKING. WAY. 

how can anything ranking a player like him at 19th at his position be taken even remotely serious. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

White finished the year as their 19th ranked corner.... NO. FREAKING. WAY. 

how can anything ranking a player like him at 19th at his position be taken even remotely serious. 

It was 16th if I remember right, but yeah, he was definitely lower than you'd expect. You have to consider though that the responsibilities of all corners are not the same but they're all pooled together as cornerbacks. So for example, someone that purely plays as a nickel corner could technically have performed better than Tre but nobody would say the nickel guy is actually better; he just had an easier job. That will always be a limitation to systems like PFF's.

Since I haven't seen anyone post it...

7. Buffalo Bills

Biggest strength: When the Bills traded for Stefon Diggs this offseason, they acquired a true primary option for Josh Allen in the passing game. Diggs led the league in receiving yards on passes 20 or more yards downfield in 2019, something that should terrify opposing defenses with John Brown already on the other side of the field. Buffalo now has a great wide receiver trio with Diggs, Brown and Cole Beasley.

Biggest weakness: It's not a popular sentiment in the city of Buffalo, but this is a very good roster that probably will be limited by shaky quarterback play. Even if you want to discount the PFF grades or advanced accuracy metrics, Allen finished the 2019 season with a 58.8% completion percentage that was lower than each of the 32 quarterbacks with the most regular-season attempts. He had bottom-10 marks in yards per attempt and passer rating as well. There just aren't many numbers -- other than quarterback wins, of course -- that point to Allen developing into an above-average quarterback.

X factor for 2020: In Washington, Josh Norman never quite lived up to his 2015 season with the Panthers, but he remained a solid starter from 2016 through 2018, earning PFF coverage grades north of 69.0 in each of those seasons. That changed last season as his coverage grade plummeted to 43.4 and his passer rating allowed spiked to 133.3. With Norman the presumed starter at cornerback opposite Tre'Davious White, Buffalo's secondary will be counting on a bounce-back season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

58 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It was 16th if I remember right, but yeah, he was definitely lower than you'd expect. You have to consider though that the responsibilities of all corners are not the same but they're all pooled together as cornerbacks. So for example, someone that purely plays as a nickel corner could technically have performed better than Tre but nobody would say the nickel guy is actually better; he just had an easier job. That will always be a limitation to systems like PFF's.

Indeed. Likewise while PFF will give you a positive grade for covering on a play that doesn't come your way the guys that earn their really high grades are being thrown at. Teams staying away from you lessens your ability to earn their top grades. Through 5 weeks last year Levi Wallace was graded as a top 5 corner by PFF. Why? He was being thrown at all the time because Tre was locking the other side down and he started the season really well until offences adjusted to his game and took advantage of the cushion he plays with. The PFF system has limitations, for sure. But it isn't completely useless if you understand it.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Since I haven't seen anyone post it...

Their point on Norman is exactly as I see it. He played pretty well in Washington until last year when the whole thing was a mess. Yes he never lived up to the contract but I think pretty much everyone other than the Redskins' front office knew he wouldn't when they signed him. Maybe he fell off last year and is done but I think more likely the malaise of the franchise infected him. I think the Bills could well get a very good year of #2 corner play out of him.

• Like (+1) 2