Things that make you go hmmm...

Just Jack

A thread for those thoughts that while interesting, aren't deserving of their own thread.

I'll start.

Why would this commercial really need to point out in the small print that these people are "Not actual consumers. Paid actors."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Something I’ve always wondered.  Why do black olives come in cans while green olives come in glass jars?

If you think about it, it makes sense. Black olives can be used for a lot of things. Throw a whole can in a salad, on a pizza or make ten creepy fingers that you eat like a boss.

Green olives are for martinis. Unless you're getting after it or hosting a martini party, you'll need to re-seal.

Edited by LB3

15 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So you can verify nobody has pilfered the pimentos.

1 minute ago, LB3 said:

If you think about it, it makes sense. Black olives can be used for a lot of things. Their a whole can in a salad, on a pizza or make ten creepy fingers that you eat like a boss.

Green olives are for martinis.

So why not put them all in glass jars?  Why, other than being able to see the contents, does aluminum vs glass matter when it comes to black/green olives?

For example, perhaps black olives “decompose” faster than green olives when exposed to light.  I don’t know the answer and now it’s driving me crazy.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And another 1/4 can't type.

@Jimmy Spagnola

41 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Something I’ve always wondered.  Why do black olives come in cans while green olives come in glass jars?

Black olives are already ripe, and can carry botchulism. They have to heat the cans up and the jars wouldn't survive that. Green olives aren't completely ripe, but sit in salty brine, so no worries with that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So why not put them all in glass jars?  Why, other than being able to see the contents, does aluminum vs glass matter when it comes to black/green olives?

For example, perhaps black olives “decompose” faster than green olives when exposed to light.  I don’t know the answer and now it’s driving me crazy.

Well, does Heineken in the cans not go 'skunky', where I defy anyone to find a green bottled Heineken that's 'good'?  I think you're on to something.  ?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Here’s one for the “flat-earthers.” If the earth is flat, like a coin for example, is there land/water/gravity (etc) on both sides or just one side?  What do you all believe?  

Easy.  The Earth sucks.  More so in 2020.  ?

(Actually, picture Louis Armstrong's version of 'What a Wonderful World'.  Cynic is only what I profess to be.)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.