Buffalo Bills kicker Tyler Bass brings power and his ‘golden stroke’ to Buffalo

muppy

7 hours ago, StHustle said:

I thought Haus was signed Beanes first year. Pretty sure he wasnt a Bill before that season.

I looked it up. 

You're correct, Hauschka was on the roster for Beane's first season, but Beane didn't sign him.  He signed in March, and Beane joined the team in May. 

15 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

My thoughts are cringing every time someone ends an OP with "Thoughts?" or "Discuss."

cringing eh lol okay I guess to me its an invitation to reply but posting a thread means that anyway I'll give you that  *shrugs* my mom would call that picking fly ***** out of black pepper ?

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Can we get past 6th round picks being “draft capital”?

its a low round draft pick but they have value. Some pretty legit 6th round picks do exist both antonio Brown and Tom Brady were 6th rounders just sayin'...

9 minutes ago, Muppy said:

cringing eh lol okay I guess to me its an invitation to reply but posting a thread means that anyway I'll give you that  *shrugs* my mom would call that picking fly ***** out of black pepper ?

its a low round draft pick but they have value. Some pretty legit 6th round picks do exist both antonio Brown and Tom Brady were 6th rounders just sayin'...

Picking extreme outliers to make a point about the rest of the population is always a poor argument.  Go back and look at the fate of the Bills last 20 years or so of 6th rounders.  No team is investing much--those are house money picks.  Throwaways.  Sure, maybe you get lucky every decade or so...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bills522 said:

Imagine drafting Steve Christie (hypothetically) in 1988, unseating Norwood in time for Super Bowl XXV.. that's what I'm rooting for outta Tyler Bass 

YES!!!

It would be nice to have a kicker who the coach trusted past 50 yards.

11 hours ago, bills522 said:

Imagine drafting Steve Christie (hypothetically) in 1988, unseating Norwood in time for Super Bowl XXV.. that's what I'm rooting for outta Tyler Bass 

I signed in to like this post ?

• Haha (+1) 3

The game has moved on.  If you have to punt from the other team's 40 (instead of taking a 57 yard FG attempt) you lose a couple of scoring chances a game.  Granted, with our D, punting from their 40 should mean a good chance to pin them back, and get the ball back after a 3 and out, but with our punter that doesn't happen often enough.  Too many touchbacks when we punt.

So If we can get a guy who consistently hits from 55+, move on.  Thanks, Haus, but you aren't the guy anymore who made all those consecutive 50+ FGs a couple of years ago.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, bills522 said:

Other people have responded to this post.  It's an interesting thought. 

It seems the typical trajectory for kickers is that they don't make it as the regular kicker as a rookie.  There are a few every year, but often as not they get cut and replaced because they're too inconsistent and the team isn't winning.  So they fall into the pool of free agent kickers hanging around, staying in shape and waiting to get called up to some team. Somehow they learn and mature in that experience, and eventually they get called up to a team and stick.  I suspect that's the typical trajectory because coaches are very reluctant to go into the season with a kicker whose reliability is unknown.  

Plus, Hauschka is a good deal better than Norwood, unless Hauschka has lost the ability to kick the long FG, the ability Norwood never had.  

Plus, will Bass need a couple of years of seasoning before he can be the kicker Christie was? Christie wasn't a rookie when he came to Buffalo. 

Still, I'm on board with you. The prospect of a solid young kicker for the next several years, one who may grow into something better than Hauschka, is tantalizing.  Maybe better length, maybe better kickoffs.  There's a lot to like in Bass. It's just hard to know if he has what it takes, mentally, to succeed in the league. It's a risk to go forward with him, and McDermott will have to decide if he's willing to take it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I remember we got an “F” for drafting him when we did. Makes no sense, if he pans out he’ll be responsible for more points than anyone else on the team. 

Not sure why these draft pundits stay so deeply entrenched in archaic “draft rules.” They refuse to even take the teams needs or players skill into account. 

“Could work out great for the team, and the players excellent, but he’s a kicker and they took him before the 7th round. Bad pick!” 

With them its always a bad draft pick until its not. Then it’s forward thinking, etc. I wish I could be as wrong in my job and not have any consequences.

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Picking extreme outliers to make a point about the rest of the population is always a poor argument.  Go back and look at the fate of the Bills last 20 years or so of 6th rounders.  No team is investing much--those are house money picks.  Throwaways.  Sure, maybe you get lucky every decade or so...

Tom Brady is prove enough of the value of 6th rnd draft picks.

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Last time the Bills drafted a kicker, it was Dustin Hopkins.  As a rookie, he couldn't beat out the incumbent, was cut and went to Washington eventually.  Hopkins had been hyped, too.

This is a tough year to try to take Hauschka's job. Big gamble for McD to take him.  McD doesn't want to be in the middle of the season and discover the kid can't hack it.  

On the other hand, McBeane like their guys, not inherited guys.  

Fun contest. 

Just read the article on how Moss never fumbles and all I could think of is this kind will be a fumbling machine this year.

Same here it worries me how he'll hold up.  Seems like often rookie kickers struggle for a year or two, then calm down and can become very good and steady.

My dream is that the NFL will announce special rules this year due to Covid so that anyone designated to the PS can't be grabbed by another team.  Place Bass there for the season, then next year he easily wins the job.

3 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

That's great bass!

It slices, it dices, it’s the Bass-O-Matic 

that’s some funny stuff, ?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Didnt we try the two place kickers back a few years ago, one to just do kickoffs and it was somewhat of a failure.  Awfully "expensive" to have two kickers unless you put the rookie on the PS.

I think we did but i can't remember who they were I am thinking it was carpenter and hopkins but could be wrong.  I doubt that the club would look at having 2 kickers on the roster as a money situation but rather than a position player would be cut.  How much is that kicker gonna make anyways 500k this year?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

The game has moved on.  If you have to punt from the other team's 40 (instead of taking a 57 yard FG attempt) you lose a couple of scoring chances a game.  Granted, with our D, punting from their 40 should mean a good chance to pin them back, and get the ball back after a 3 and out, but with our punter that doesn't happen often enough.  Too many touchbacks when we punt.

So If we can get a guy who consistently hits from 55+, move on.  Thanks, Haus, but you aren't the guy anymore who made all those consecutive 50+ FGs a couple of years ago.

I'm not kicking 55+ yarders every time - some teams only kicked 1 or 2 times all year at that distance.  But there's situations for it.  End of half and end of game are the big ones.  Would i like to be closer?  Sure - but im not, and there isn't time or downs to get there.  Missing in that situation isn't an end all be all from a field position standpoint.  

I need to know from 4th and 5 from the 40 that i feel good about the kicker making it at that distance to tie the game, or tack on points at the half etc.  

20 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

agree ?.draft capital means it is finally real competition for Haush money. and IMO a needed competition. Nothing against Haush, but IF we can get better...do it

Sal Capaccio said on WGR this morning that he thought Hauschka would have a hard time unseating Bass.  Bass not only had a strong leg but he’s accurately in mid-range FG’s as well.  This would have been a big surprise this past Spring but I do think it’s more likely.

• Like (+1) 1