Buffalo Bills kicker Tyler Bass brings power and his ‘golden stroke’ to Buffalo

muppy

Coaches are conservative about kicking and no one knows how a kicker will do when the game is on the line until they are actually in that situation.  My guess is if its anywhere close in training camp they will keep Hauschka.  Possibly with the expanded roster they can keep both.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Only under a concerted effort by fans.  Everyone place ads on kijiji in cities that have an NFL or CFL team.  'Available for trade:  one kicker'.

If  Hauschka gets beaten out and Beane still gets something for him, I truly would believe that Beane is a wizard.

I think Bass has a real shot.  I just looked up NCAA FG kicker percentages since 1956 and was surprised to see his 79.4% ranks tied as 81st all-time.  Scrolling through that list there are a lot of guys who never made it in the NFL, but the combination of good accuracy in college plus a huge leg bodes well for Bass — gives him a leg up, if you will.

Hauschka made some crucial kicks for Buffalo down the stretch last season and was clutch in the playoff loss, and I’ll admit trusting a rookie to make big kicks makes me a bit anxious, but I’d rather swing for the fences on a kicker that might be really good for a long time.

I think I’ll be rooting for Bass to win that job.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I like the kid and if he shows well in training camp and preseason (if) there's no reason why he can't be our kicker in the upcoming season.

Though Hauschka was money in his playoff game against Houston he really had his troubles last season, in particular the Browns and Dallas game. The sense of confidence really faded on him as the regular season went on.

Actually, as the regular season progressed, Hauschka got better.

Much better.

He finished amazing.

5 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

And we could add Gary Anderson to the list of "but he wasn't good enough as a rookie."  You are right.  There is near zero patience for any kicker that is in a slump and costs a team one or more wins.  How many teams cut their kicker last year after they played the Bills and they had a rough game?  Three?   It's tough for a rookie to be as good as they need to be the day they walk in the door and there are not enough chances to develop any faith in said rookie's talent without letting them attempt meaningful kicks. 

I would like to see the data on it but I'd bet New Era is one of the tougher places in the NFL to either kick FGs or punts.  Assuming the competition is close, maybe they might keep both for a spell, avoid going "all in" on a rookie and delay relying on him to decide games.  If the rookie can pretty much guarantee touchbacks and mitigate the need for great ST guys to cover them, it might work as a lower risk transition strategy.  Let him ease into the NFL with some less significant kicks until  he demonstrates he can "hack it."

This also went through my mind given the extra spot on the active roster. I realize it's reserved for an Offensive Lineman, but in my mind it is still an extra spot. So in years past they would need to eat one of their 53 for the extra O-line but now, they can keep that extra O-line and another player....I don't know, but that could also be why they decided to roll the dice on the kid.

10 hours ago, Muppy said:

I don't have anything against Haus But since the Bills spent draft capital on Bass this past draft I really hope he wins the job outright and becomes the long term answer as kicker for the Bills. Thoughts?

Yep. Unless Bass completely falls apart in the preseason, he should win the job. You don’t spend a 6th round pick on a kicker just to cut him.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Actually, as the regular season progressed, Hauschka got better.

Much better.

He finished amazing.

in 2017, he made 7/9 from 50+.  the next year it was 4/7.  Last year 1/5.

His leg is dead.

Last 6 years Hauschka has hit 88.8% of his kicks, Tyler hit 79.4% in college.

Tyler can boom the ball punting though, he would be a nice emergency leg.  He is headed for the practice squad esp if the league decides to expands it to 14 slots.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

in 2017, he made 7/9 from 50+.  the next year it was 4/7.  Last year 1/5.

His leg is dead.

You may be right about that, though I don't recall him coming up short on his misses. I'm just saying he was pretty good down the stretch last season.

What you posted is probably the exact reason for drafting Bass.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Muppy said:

I don't have anything against Haus But since the Bills spent draft capital on Bass this past draft I really hope he wins the job outright and becomes the long term answer as kicker for the Bills. Thoughts?

I think Haush stays on this year as a mentor FG kicker only and have bass take on the longer stuff including kick offs.  That is what I would do. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buff76ers said:

I think Haush stays on this year as a mentor FG kicker only and have bass take on the longer stuff including kick offs.  That is what I would do. 

Didnt we try the two place kickers back a few years ago, one to just do kickoffs and it was somewhat of a failure.  Awfully "expensive" to have two kickers unless you put the rookie on the PS.