Game Attendance decided by team

nucci

Things seem under control in NY, especially WNY, but with Florida, Texas, Arizona and California looking as bad as ever I worry that there isn't going to be a season at all. 

I can't see how it happens, but if it is even 1% possible, the NFL will find a way to make it happen. 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Things seem under control in NY, especially WNY, but with Florida, Texas, Arizona and California looking as bad as ever I worry that there isn't going to be a season at all. 

I can't see how it happens, but if it is even 1% possible, the NFL will find a way to make it happen. 

when you say things are as bad as ever do you just mean healthy people testing postive?  because thats all thats happening in these places.  not even close to what happened in NYC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

One last thing, WNY has only 34 Hospitalizations right now with only 9 ICU patients, they have not had anybody pass away from Covid in 3 days and only 2 deaths in the past 7 days.  If these numbers keep trending downward, which I know is a big if, why wouldn't fans be allowed at the stadium this year.  

The thing with the Bills is, they draw season ticket holders from far and wide.  WNY is in a good spot right now, but on game day New Era would be packed with people from all over.

Of the 30 or so people I tailgate with regularly I think 6 are actually from the Buffalo area.  4 come in from the East coast, 1 comes from Florida, several are Rochester based, probably 1/3 are Canadian.  We're all season ticket holders.

If Covid-19 survives into the fall, which seems most likely, it will be around for the beginning of our actual flu season (Sept - Mar) , when the flu traditionally spreads the fastest.  100 infected people tailgating, walking the concourses, using the washrooms, high fiving in the stands, etc has the potential to explode into a large number of cases, and quickly.  

• Like (+1) 1

I also received that today. Seems like a logistical nightmare.

Not sure how they will give everyone equivalent seats, split up games, choose which games you get, etc.

My wife and I are considering opting out, especially because it seems likely that decision will be pushed on us before a detailed plan is even available to review.

Edited by Rockpile233
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ogham26 said:

when you say things are as bad as ever do you just mean healthy people testing postive?  because thats all thats happening in these places.  not even close to what happened in NYC

Hospital systems in parts of Texas and Arizona are near capacity and running low on ICU beds.  People getting the virus can lead to some getting seriously ill, which can lead to hospital stays or ICU stays specifically; if units are full or overflowing, staff is spread thin, which can lead to increased fatalities for patients and hospital personnel.  Things can get bad very quickly.  Of course, if precautions are taken by people, things don't have to get bad at all.  That was the whole point of hand washing, social distancing and mask wearing in the first place.  To slow the need for potential hospital stays.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2020 at 6:03 PM, MJS said:

Maybe look up all of the negative consequences of economic collapse and quarentine, including rising suicide and death rates, increased domestic violence rates, decreased mental health, etc.

For every 1% increase in unemployment there is an increase of 37,000 deaths (including 20,000 heart attacks), 920 suicides, 650 homicides, 4,000 state mental hospital admissions and 3,300 state prison admissions. Unemployment has increased by about 8-10 percent, so we are talking 300,000 to 400,000 deaths due to shutting down the economy and people losing their jobs. What's the death toll for COVID-19 so far?

And I want to watch football.

Are you saying scientists and doctors have finally come to a consensus? For every one of them claiming one thing, there are three claiming the opposite.

How dare you pull out statistics!

On 6/29/2020 at 5:25 PM, Beast said:

And, yet, still less than 1% of the population has tested postive over the last three months and much, much less than that have died from it and, those that have "died" from Covid-19, quite a majority of those had something going on to begin with.

I appreciate the warning and the cocern (I'm being honest about that) ER stories about Covid really don't scare me. I've been dealing with the public face to face since Covid arrived and nobody was even required to wear masks the first month plus into it.

LikenI said, appreciate it. I'll wear my mask where I am told to to get service or my job, and that is where it ends.

Wearing masks at football games won't go over well at all. 

Not following guidelines including quarantining if coming from or living in a hotspot... not just mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing.  Problem is scientist dont know who is carrying it so controlled studies are still being evaluated.  Though the reduction in cases in NY and Westchester all suggest if not prove the point of wearing a damn mask... socially distancing reduces your potential exposure or transmitting.  

All I need to know is my wife and kids didnt get it because I went to a hotel room at first sign of a fever.  We wore masks inside around kids when virus first hit.   And my wife and I work different shifts.  Washed hands cleaned surfaces, bagged scrubs as soon as we came inside.  Wiped down inside of cars.  We both were in the middle of it in hospitals.  Me more than her.  So go ahead and ignore protocols at your own risk.  This debate is inane and frankly pisses me off after seeing so many deaths. Scientifically proven debate at this point is a waste of time when stats show mask wearing and social distancing works even if not perfectly.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, purple haze said:

Hospital systems in parts of Texas and Arizona are near capacity and running low on ICU beds.  People getting the virus can lead to some getting seriously ill, which can lead to hospital stays or ICU stays specifically; if units are full or overflowing, staff is spread thin, which can lead to increased fatalities for patients and hospital personnel.  Things can get bad very quickly.  Of course, if precautions are taken by people, things don't have to get bad at all.  That was the whole point of hand washing, social distancing and mask wearing in the first place.  To slow the need for potential hospital stays.

Plus those that need to be in a hospital and have covid tend to be there for a long time if they don't die first.  Prevents other kinds of treatments.  So F social distancing and masks and pray you don't get in a car accident.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, CLTbills said:

How dare you pull out statistics!

I can manipulate stats to show anything you want... used to do it for a living...  but for arguments sake lets say they are correct... implication... social distance and wear a damn mask so it doesn't happen.

7 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Not following guidelines including quarantining if coming from or living in a hotspot... not just mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing.  Problem is scientist dont know who is carrying it so controlled studies are still being evaluated.  Though the reduction in cases in NY and Westchester all suggest if not prove the point of wearing a damn mask... socially distancing reduces your potential exposure or transmitting.  

All I need to know is my wife and kids didnt get it because I went to a hotel room at first sign of a fever.  We wore masks inside around kids when virus first hit.   And my wife and I work different shifts.  Washed hands cleaned surfaces, bagged scrubs as soon as we came inside.  Wiped down inside of cars.  We both were in the middle of it in hospitals.  Me more than her.  So go ahead and ignore protocols at your own risk.  This debate is inane and frankly pisses me off after seeing so many deaths. Scientifically proven debate at this point is a waste of time when stats show mask wearing and social distancing works even if not perfectly.

Plus those that need to be in a hospital and have covid tend to be there for a long time if they don't die first.  Prevents other kinds of treatments.  So F social distancing and masks and pray you don't get in a car accident.

Honestly, I really don’t care if my opinion and the way I live my life pisses people off.

Here’s one for you....did you wear a mask during the Flu season? Did you complain about those people that didn’t? People still get sick with the Flu even after getting vaccinated. Around 60,000 people a year die in this country due to the Flu.

Should we all social distance during the Flu season? Wear masks? Shut businesses down?

No? Why not? Is 60,000 people a year dying an acceptable number?

What is your acceptable number before we all have to take a virus seriously?

Actually because I work in a hospital I do wear a mask.  It sucks people die from the flu... But this isn't the flu, it is much worse, more virulent and your deaths due to flu are inflated, about half that.... 55,000 of covid cases reported yesterday alone.  128,000 deaths in 4 months...  Flu has treatments such as tamaflu.. and a known epidomology.  Not saying shut down everything but if folks can't follow instructions for safety then yes...   I saw 11 deaths in 1 day at my hospital.   Again, ignoring these precautions results in crap like Chappaqua.  Avoidable... wait til there is an outbreak at a game and they shut down the NFL for the whole season... that will really suck.

8 hours ago, Beast said:

What is your acceptable number before we all have to take a virus seriously?

We in the US don't take virus infections seriously enough... non is a acceptable number.  

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Shutting stuff down is a good thing. Selfish people don't wear masks, don't social distance, and behave in ways that could cause the virus to spread. If people weren't so selfish and were reliably careful and responsible, opening up would be a no-brainer. But all it takes is one jerk without a mask or who makes selfish choices and then acts in a way that exposes someone else while they are asymptomatic. Screw you if you do that.

You never know what someone else is dealing with. Cancer, radiation treatment, essential medications that cause your immune system to be compromised.  But no, "I wanna go to a football game, so screw everyone else's needs! I wanna go to a bar and have fun because *I'M* the most important person on earth!" Selfish and stupid behavior that could KILL someone like me.

And then there are the fools who deny how nasty this virus is. It spreads virulently, much quicker and worse than a cold or flu. It's bad, folks. Yes, many people do fine with it, but many otherwise healthy people don't. I've seen it. I was in the hospital for essential surgery for two weeks in May. It was bad. Caregivers being quarantined, people they know getting sick, morale low because of furloughed co-workers. All of this could be prevented if people behaved appropriately and avoided crowds, wore masks, and stayed away from people.

Shut it all down, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Actually because I work in a hospital I do wear a mask.  It sucks people die from the flu... But this isn't the flu, it is much worse, more virulent and your deaths due to flu are inflated, about half that.... 55,000 of covid cases reported yesterday alone.  128,000 deaths in 4 months...  Flu has treatments such as tamaflu.. and a known epidomology.  Not saying shut down everything but if folks can't follow instructions for safety then yes...   I saw 11 deaths in 1 day at my hospital.   Again, ignoring these precautions results in crap like Chappaqua.  Avoidable... wait til there is an outbreak at a game and they shut down the NFL for the whole season... that will really suck.

We in the US don't take virus infections seriously enough... non is a acceptable number.  

In other words, you won't answer the question.

Can you point to a post last fall where you said people should be wearing masks during the Flu season and that the NFL stadiums should be shut down because people are dying?

I mean, that's a pretty big thing, right?

Edited by Beast

On 6/29/2020 at 5:25 PM, Beast said:

And, yet, still less than 1% of the population has tested postive over the last three months and much, much less than that have died from it and, those that have "died" from Covid-19, quite a majority of those had something going on to begin with.

I appreciate the warning and the cocern (I'm being honest about that) ER stories about Covid really don't scare me. I've been dealing with the public face to face since Covid arrived and nobody was even required to wear masks the first month plus into it.

LikenI said, appreciate it. I'll wear my mask where I am told to to get service or my job, and that is where it ends.

Wearing masks at football games won't go over well at all. 

Selfishness and ignorance will get people killed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Can you point to a post last fall where you said people should be wearing masks during the Flu season and that the NFL stadiums should be shut down because people are dying?

You are forgetting a number of facts. One - there is a flu vaccine. Even a semi-effective flu vaccine provides *some* protection to those infected.Two - the flu is less contagious and less fatal. This is a fact. More people have died of Covid in three months than the flu in a year. Three - Covid can overwhelm hospital ICU departments. The flu does not. Three - there are a few treatments for the flu, like Tamiflu. Four - there is a general herd immunity for the flu. Most smart people get a flu shot. That doesn't exist for covid.

The idea of comparing covid to the flu is just false equivalency. It's kind of stupid.

I certainly hope you consider others in difficult situations when you make your decision not to wear a mask, and the impact your selfishness might have on others.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, todd said:

You are forgetting a number of facts. One - there is a flu vaccine. Even a semi-effective flu vaccine provides *some* protection to those infected.Two - the flu is less contagious and less fatal. This is a fact. More people have died of Covid in three months than the flu in a year. Three - Covid can overwhelm hospital ICU departments. The flu does not. Three - there are a few treatments for the flu, like Tamiflu. Four - there is a general herd immunity for the flu. Most smart people get a flu shot. That doesn't exist for covid.

The idea of comparing covid to the flu is just false equivalency. It's kind of stupid.

I certainly hope you consider others in difficult situations when you make your decision not to wear a mask, and the impact your selfishness might have on others.

6 hours ago, Beast said:

Todd answered your questions pretty succinctly.  I would add that the incubation period for covid is longer... up to 14 days and many people have it and spreading it for longer without knowing it (pre-symptomatic) or even having symptoms at all for those 14 days.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, todd said:

Kind of stupid? That really sells short the true level of stupid. It’s about as stupid as it gets given all we’ve come to learn over the last several months about SARS-CoV-2. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Kind of stupid? That really sells short the true level of stupid. It’s about as stupid as it gets given all we’ve come to learn over the last several months about SARS-CoV-2. 

Yeah, but it feels true, and as Isaac Asimov said: “The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge‘.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

wait til I get back with my popcorn...

No fans allowed: New York State issues guidelines for reopening of pro sports

If the season started today, fans would also be banned from assembling outside the venue, and security would be in place to remove anyone who has gathered.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/no-fans-allowed-new-york-state-issues-guidelines-for-reopening-of-pro-sports/71-58246890-54cd-4bc0-8ae3-5b4f5b4f8496?fbclid=IwAR1OUJo1OoAPvWCd2fImNrKnQdBacuPuszQeSsup4nLkfmcT6EQSDnM0zRw

23 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Yeah, but it feels true, and as Isaac Asimov said: “The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge‘.”

Thanks for that quote. IA was spot on.

We live in a strange time when science denial is merging with an anti-expertise movement where lay people know more than those who’ve spent years becoming educated on a subject. 

• Like (+1) 3