Game Attendance decided by team

nucci

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm just north of 60 so a little caution is called for. But I also have parents and in-laws in their late 80's. Am I supposed to not give a crap about them?

exactly.  my parents just turned 80.  i see them, but don't hug them.  i'm just too much of a risk for that right now.  no living in a cave...just trying to be smart about it.

The Bills can now have as many people as they want in the stadium as long as social distancing is adhered to.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-coronavirus-reopen-plan-church-synagogue

They are also forbidden from “enforcing any limitation for outdoor gatherings provided that participants in such gatherings follow social distancing requirements as set forth in the applicable executive orders and guidance.”

Edited by Beast

5 hours ago, teef said:

exactly.  my parents just turned 80.  i see them, but don't hug them.  i'm just too much of a risk for that right now.  no living in a cave...just trying to be smart about it.

My folks are in their 80s too. I’ve been doing their grocery runs for them and visiting my mom from the porch walkway, over 6 feet away. My dad is severely disabled (since childhood, from polio - so we’ve got some up-close and personal familiarity with epidemics in my family) and unable to come to the door, so we talk on the phone. They both have a number of other underlying conditions. My mom’s a retired RN, so she gets all of the precautions, etc. 

So then last week my wife tested positive for the Covid-19 antibodies. She’s a frontline hospital worker, but nobody else in her department tested positive. So, it’s a good chance her infection came from community exposure, but there’s no way to know for sure. I haven’t been tested yet, but there’s a good chance I got it along the way from my wife. 

So my point, is that visiting my mom from the doorway and practicing social distancing wasn’t just borne out of “fear,” it was borne out of a sense of empathy, and strong belief in the concept of mitigating risk. My folks and I knew all along there was a non-zero chance I could pass the virus to them, and perhaps we avoided it by being careful. 

So I have a hard time listening to people who say “stop living in fear!” It’s not about fear. It’s about caring for others and taking steps to minimize risk. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/25/2020 at 9:04 PM, jimmy10 said:

There’s the disconnect. It’s not about fear, it’s about empathy and mitigating risk of infecting others. Fear implies selfishness. How do I know? The opinions of 6 doctors I personally know, but not in a biblical way. 

Oh, so where is your empathy for those who wanting to go to games.  It's amazing how many ppl play the empathy card in a selfish manner.  Now since we talked about empathy how about we talk about hypocrisy.  No one is forcing anyone to go out and about.  But many are trying to force others to stay in a cave.  I'm not telling you that you have to go to a game or anywhere for that matter.  Please do not tell me where I can and can't go.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:47 AM, K-9 said:

Those five doctors should quit the profession before they cause real harm. From your description, they are absolutely clueless about SARS-CoV-2, how it’s spread, and the enormous strain it’s placed on hospitals and health care professionals in various areas around the world. Those five doctors are a disgrace to the Hippocratic oath. 

No. They aren't and most doctors agree but are afraid to say so.  This virus is no worse than the flu.  Certain people need to be cautious.  Most of us need not worry.  The death toll BTW is admittedly flawed and padded.  The number of A symptomatic individuals is what is key.

BTW.  What is your qualification in this matter.  I don't trust the news, net, politicians or doctors who stand to gain.  But actual real doctors who have nothing to gain by stating the truth I'll trust.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:56 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I love this all-or-nothing play.  Well you can't guarantee I won't get Covid-19 100% so don't do anything. Even though if everyone wore masks and made a modest effort at distancing infection rates would drop by 80%. But noooooooo. 

Doctors of mixology.

Where did you get your 80% number.

Did you know that 99% of the people who give a percentage on the internet just make it up.  Same thing with people on TV.

No issue with people wearing mask or being required to wear a mask.  Even though they won't prevent an individual from contracting Overblown19 they are likely to prevent a person with the virus from spreading germs.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, teef said:

i hate that approach too.  i'm out and about.  i'm not "staying in my cave", but i stay vigilant with the mask, distancing, etc.  i wouldn't go to large public events at this point, but if it's legal, and people want to go...so be it.  i just hope everyone tries to keep this thing under check.  

there's just nothing worse than being accused of living in fear, and then having someone spew complete misinformation about what's going on.  

I keep my hands clean.  Wear a mask at work.  My Dad is 76 years old with COPD and does his shopping and everything else.  To tell the truth I don't know what to believe accept what I've seen.  Statistics that I've been shown by individuals I trust.  My Mom has diabetes and a heart condition and COVID gave her a runny nose and thats about it.  Has anyone looked to see how many people died of the flu or pneumonia or any other similar illness since COVID. How do you know that what others are saying isn't misinformation and what I've said isn't the truth.

I appreciate that you are not trying to force your precautions on others.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:03 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

No. They aren't and most doctors agree but are afraid to say so.  This virus is no worse than the flu.  Certain people need to be cautious.  Most of us need not worry.  The death toll BTW is admittedly flawed and padded.  The number of A symptomatic individuals is what is key.

BTW.  What is your qualification in this matter.  I don't trust the news, net, politicians or doctors who stand to gain.  But actual real doctors who have nothing to gain by stating the truth I'll trust.

Where did you get your 80% number.

Did you know that 99% of the people who give a percentage on the internet just make it up.  Same thing with people on TV.

No issue with people wearing mask or being required to wear a mask.  Even though they won't prevent an individual from contracting Overblown19 they are likely to prevent a person with the virus from spreading germs.

People who argue against masks think because a basic cloth mask only gives you 50% protection from catching the virus, it's not worth doing. But what a basic cloth mask DOES do is keeps your spit to yourself. That's where the 80% reduction comes from. The point of a mask is to protect everyone else from YOU!  If everyone else protects each other, guess what happens? 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

People who argue against masks think because a basic cloth mask only gives you 50% protection from catching the virus, it's not worth doing. But what a basic cloth mask DOES do is keeps your spit to yourself. That's where the 80% reduction comes from. The point of a mask is to protect everyone else from YOU!  If everyone is protects each other, guess what happens? 

As I've said.  I'm not against masks at all.  I do believe I said exactly what you are saying.  It prevents those who have it from spreading it.

No need to protect them from me.  I don't have it.  I've been tested.

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Are you tested everyday, and get your results immediately ? If not, you do need to be protected from you. 

So wear your mask and stay in your house if you're that concerned.  Because COVID is here forever and will eventually mutate more than likely and hopefully I've had C-19 by then.  That way I have antibodies.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, but there’s no reason you can’t wear a mask. It’s not about me being afraid to leave the house (typical tough guy answer btw), it’s about reducing the spread to vulnerable populations. I just don’t understand the mindset of refusing to wear a mask. I hate wearing a mask, but just want enlightenment as to why some people refuse. I’m genuinely not trying to be difficult, I just want to understand. 

I wear a mask.  They are actually required at work.  Some people likely refuse just because they are told they have too.  I actually enjoy wearing my Bills mask now that I have it.  It's in the sanitization process this weekend though.  I have to wear the standard mask for now.  I actually spray them with alcohol every 4 hours.

As far as the tough guy answer goes.  That's the reality of it.  Sooner or later people are gonna have to face the music.  It took 50 years to get a legit Polio vaccine.  I assume it will be faster now but not anytime soon.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I wear a mask.  They are actually required at work.  Some people likely refuse just because they are told they have too.  I actually enjoy wearing my Bills mask now that I have it.  It's in the sanitization process this weekend though.  I have to wear the standard mask for now.  I actually spray them with alcohol every 4 hours.

As far as the tough guy answer goes.  That's the reality of it.  Sooner or later people are gonna have to face the music.  It took 50 years to get a legit Polio vaccine.  I assume it will be faster now but not anytime soon.

I mostly agree, I think I misunderstood some of what you said. We will have to face the music, and I think most people are going on with their lives at this point. However, I do think there is a chance for a vaccine or better therapies within a year, so taking precautions can’t hurt. This pandemic is more about the hospitals, nursing homes, and other institutions this illness rips through. Even if we reach herd immunity, not everyone will catch it. The average guy might be able to go about his life, hanging out at the bar, hanging out with friends, and living it up, but that doesn’t mean the hurt isn’t being felt in other places. That’s what it’s all about at this point. Right now, the medical world and world governments are praying for an answer within the next year. If it doesn’t come, everyone will have to reassess the situation. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2020 at 3:52 PM, RiotAct said:

with the goalposts moving the way they are (no pun intended),I wouldn’t count on NYS allowing NFL games with fans even if the #s continue to decline.

Why? NYS is the gold standard for how to reopen properly and avoid exploding case counts. We have done everything right pretty much since getting hammered in the beginning. Instead of laughing at us other states should be doing exactly what we are and maybe they wouldn't be in the same boat as they are

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So wear your mask and stay in your house if you're that concerned.  Because COVID is here forever and will eventually mutate more than likely and hopefully I've had C-19 by then.  That way I have antibodies.

Look bro...maybe this misplaced bravado may seem cool in other states but you try that in NY right now and you will get socially shamed in a way you wouldn't believe. I have seen multiple people threaten to kick someone's ass out in public for not having their mask on.

We are not playing here with that BS. You keep that wherever you and your exploding case counts are. We have this ***** under control here and have done everything right reopening regionally n 4 phases with 2 weeks between each phase minimum and 7 monitored metrics that had to be maintained to continue to the next phase.

People want to look at NY state and talk about how we had all these cases and we did but since then we have done just about everything right to lower and control the case counts even while reopening.

Those stupid ass states that were fully closed one day and fully open the next are paying for it and will continue to pay for it and why? Because they had no plan in place and didn't take it seriously. Now they want to start...well its too late now...good luck. You will need it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Look bro...maybe this misplaced bravado may seem cool in other states but you try that in NY right now and you will get socially shamed in a way you wouldn't believe. I have seen multiple people threaten to kick someone's ass out in public for not having their mask on.

We are not playing here with that BS. You keep that wherever you and your exploding case counts are. We have this ***** under control here and have done everything right reopening regionally n 4 phases with 2 weeks between each phase minimum and 7 monitored metrics that had to be maintained to continue to the next phase.

People want to look at NY state and talk about how we had all these cases and we did but since then we have done just about everything right to lower and control the case counts even while reopening.

Those stupid ass states that were fully closed one day and fully open the next are paying for it and will continue to pay for it and why? Because they had no plan in place and didn't take it seriously. Now they want to start...well its too late now...good luck. You will need it.

Lol.  CORONA is not the Spanish Flu.  I think we will be just fine Thanks for your concern though.

I'm just thankful my parents and I where not among the .000002% of people that may have died in my state from complications caused by an illness that may have been COVID-19 but could be the Flu or pneumonia which the people who keep count have admitted to counting. "Just to be on the safe side."  

My hope is that the very small percentage of the population that it can be lethal to will not contract it.  Thats why I don't go to retirement homes and places like that at the moment.

22 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Lol.  CORONA is not the Spanish Flu.  I think we will be just fine Thanks for your concern though.

I'm just thankful my parents and I where not among the .000002% of people that may have died in my state from complications caused by an illness that may have been COVID-19 but could be the Flu or pneumonia which the people who keep count have admitted to counting. "Just to be on the safe side."  

My hope is that the very small percentage of the population that it can be lethal to will not contract it.  Thats why I don't go to retirement homes and places like that at the moment.

We can revisit this topic in August and see how things worked out.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL won't be determining attendance at games this September.

States and the Federal govt. will.

We're headed into wave 2 now, and it's going to be much worse than Wave 1.

I've said this here since March and I'll say it again now: I'll be shocked if the NFL is playing real football games in September, as planned.

On 6/26/2020 at 4:13 PM, Beast said:

The Bills can now have as many people as they want in the stadium as long as social distancing is adhered to.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-coronavirus-reopen-plan-church-synagogue

They are also forbidden from “enforcing any limitation for outdoor gatherings provided that participants in such gatherings follow social distancing requirements as set forth in the applicable executive orders and guidance.”

Not quite, only that the same rules need to apply as to the rest of society.  So if mass protests are allowed or "encouraged" with no enforcement... then outdoor gatherings.... However, and there is a big however, if social distancing isn't followed than NY can set any rules they want as long as they apply them evenly, same goes for indoor events.  Makes sense...  Stadiums are confined spaces and I wonder if an exception can be made for them as well.  Masks should be required worn properly too.  Would love you anti-mask people no matter your political persuasion to have spent a month with me in the ERs I work in this past April and May.  I am betting a different tune.  I no I am not flying out to see my 86 year old Dad.  PS... A kid came back from FLA and attended a graduation of Chappaqua (Horace Greeley High School and spread the disease to over 80 people last week, an outdoor event because kids were hugging each other and somehow her parents thought it was a good idea to send her to FLA during its spike and lack of social distancing...  

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The NFL won't be determining attendance at games this September.

States and the Federal govt. will.

We're headed into wave 2 now, and it's going to be much worse than Wave 1.

I've said this here since March and I'll say it again now: I'll be shocked if the NFL is playing real football games in September, as planned.

I thought we were still in Wave 1?

9 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Not quite, only that the same rules need to apply as to the rest of society.  So if mass protests are allowed or "encouraged" with no enforcement... then outdoor gatherings.... However, and there is a big however, if social distancing isn't followed than NY can set any rules they want as long as they apply them evenly, same goes for indoor events.  Makes sense...  Stadiums are confined spaces and I wonder if an exception can be made for them as well.  Masks should be required worn properly too.  Would love you anti-mask people no matter your political persuasion to have spent a month with me in the ERs I work in this past April and May.  I am betting a different tune.  I no I am not flying out to see my 86 year old Dad.  PS... A kid came back from FLA and attended a graduation of Chappaqua (Horace Greeley High School and spread the disease to over 80 people last week, an outdoor event because kids were hugging each other and somehow her parents thought it was a good idea to send her to FLA during its spike and lack of social distancing...  

And, yet, still less than 1% of the population has tested postive over the last three months and much, much less than that have died from it and, those that have "died" from Covid-19, quite a majority of those had something going on to begin with.

I appreciate the warning and the cocern (I'm being honest about that) ER stories about Covid really don't scare me. I've been dealing with the public face to face since Covid arrived and nobody was even required to wear masks the first month plus into it.

LikenI said, appreciate it. I'll wear my mask where I am told to to get service or my job, and that is where it ends.

Wearing masks at football games won't go over well at all. 

Edited by Beast