Anybody Ever Fish The Outer Banks

Irv

I bought a surf casting rod and am reading online how to use it.  Going to Oregon Inlet mid-July if no new COVID restrictions are implemented in NC.  Anybody got advice on fishing down there?  Any other advise on things to do and where to go?  Thanks!

I have gone there a bunch of times, but have always done offshore charters, so it may not be of much value.

I've done close to shore stuff as well as five trips to the Gulfstream for bigger stuff. If you read the Outer Banks fishing reports for a couple days before you fish, you'll get decent reports on who is getting what, and where.

Keep in mind that these reports are funded by commercial operators like bait/tackle shops, so they are usually a little optimistic. If you go into one when you're there you can always find someone who will give you up to date info.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2020 at 11:41 AM, Irv said:

I bought a surf casting rod and am reading online how to use it.  Going to Oregon Inlet mid-July if no new COVID restrictions are implemented in NC.  Anybody got advice on fishing down there?  Any other advise on things to do and where to go?  Thanks!

Dude, google “surf fishing” and watch some YouTube videos.  Good luck with fishing and enjoy.   We did a large family vacation down in Avon a few years ago.   It was really nice down there.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Dude, google “surf fishing” and watch some YouTube videos.  Good luck with fishing and enjoy.   We did a large family vacation down in Avon a few years ago.   It was really nice down there.

That's where my family usually stays when we go down there as well. One of my favorite vacation spots in the US.

I haven't dabbled with fishing there, but the most recent time we went to the beach, I got to see a guy that was fishing on the beach drag a shark up onto the sand. That was absolutely wild lol

The order — a “joint travel advisory” with the two other states — would take effect at midnight, Mr. Cuomo said on Wednesday. He said the quick implementation was aimed at preventing a rush of travelers trying to avoid the requirement, which currently applied to Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Utah.

Breaking news ------- if you're a NY, CT, NJ resident ------ you'll have to quarantine in NY for 2 weeks when you get back from NC

N.Y. Will Impose Quarantine on Visitors From States With Big Outbreaks

Edited by boater
added linky
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:11 PM, boater said:

Breaking news ------- if you're a NY, CT, NJ resident ------ you'll have to quarantine in NY for 2 weeks when you get back from NC

N.Y. Will Impose Quarantine on Visitors From States With Big Outbreaks

I saw that.  Haven't we been quarantined for the last 4 months?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:03 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The surf is pretty intense there.  My BIL and I decided to do some body surfing and got shredded pretty badly.  

I've watched every surf fishing video on YouTube but never seen any dudes get shredded.  Got a link? 

53 minutes ago, Irv said:

I've watched every surf fishing video on YouTube but never seen any dudes get shredded.  Got a link? 

Oh no, body surfing has nothing to do with fishing.   Essentially it’s surfing without a surf board.  You float on top of the wave until it tosses you over the top and then you tumble under the water until you eventually wash up on shore.  Not really a smart thing to do.  It’s like being inside a washing machine during the spin cycle.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I saw that.  Haven't we been quarantined for the last 4 months?

Ask, and ye shall receive. 

Of course this was filmed in the off season, but you can rest assured that it happens in the summertime with even greater frequency. 

• Like (+1) 1