Does the NFL have a bubble plan? Covid rising

Ramza86

Daily testing. Immediate isolation of any carriers until tests negative. Testing of all known associates to track source.

13 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Private Bone Spurs.  Well done sir. 

It's a hoax that the whole world is in on.  You didn't know? 

Well, if the "whole world" knows that includes all of us.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:27 PM, KzooMike said:

I think that stat is a bit flawed, some areas are experiencing higher positives in younger demographics. Further, death rate trails positive rate considerably. If you want the most clear outlook,  % positive tests. Yes, Trump was right, more tests, more positive totals. But the % movement should be decreasing against a stable or rising test rate if you want validation that cases are actually declining. 

I also think it will end up being misleading.  When a younger friend of a friend (in their 20's)  got it, had to have a lung removed, then recovered, I finally got that everyone who recovers from Covid isn't necessarily leaving the hospital in the same shape they went in.

I doubt we'll know the reality of the numbers for a long time.

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This should all but end that debate.

Aren’t many of the states with mandatory mask rules also the ones that are way behind the non-mandatory mask states in re-opening?... Pretty sure that is a way bigger reason than masks.  

fwiw, I wear masks to any store I go to, but when states re-open further, and we test more, we’ll obviously have more positive tests.  

As long as we keep hospitals in good shape and keep deaths down, we’ll be ok.... after all, the end-game wasn’t to “stop” COVID, despite what the media tells us for their own reasons....

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

do people not understand that wearing masks is just one component of keeping things in check, and not the complete solution?  wear the masks, keep washing hands, don't touch you face, avoid huge crowds, etc.  it's not just about wearing mask exclusively.  

hell, i'm going out to dinner tonight.  i'll wear a mask until i sit down, and i'll be outside, but it's ok to go out.  just be smart and considerate.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

well, if a sheriff is not convinced masks work...that's good enough for me

53 minutes ago, teef said:

do people not understand that wearing masks is just one component of keeping things in check, and not the complete solution?  wear the masks, keep washing hands, don't touch you face, avoid huge crowds, etc.  it's not just about wearing mask exclusively.  

hell, i'm going out to dinner tonight.  i'll wear a mask until i sit down, and i'll be outside, but it's ok to go out.  just be smart and considerate.

apparently this is difficult for many people

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Aren’t many of the states with mandatory mask rules also the ones that are way behind the non-mandatory mask states in re-opening?... Pretty sure that is a way bigger reason than masks.  

That's one possible factor - states that don't require masks may also have lenient policies across the board that contribute to the percentage increase. But that article also shows that the stringency of the mask policy itself also correlates to a rise or fall in cases. States that have a mask policy only in certain businesses also have seen cases drop, but not as much as states that have a universal mask policy. States that only require certain employees to wear masks have still seen an increase in cases, but not as much as states that have no mask policy at all. There is some level of correlation from mask policies to cases of the virus, even accounting for other factors.

I always refer back to that hair salon where 2 stylists tested positive, but not one of their 140 customers or 6 co-workers tested positive after the fact. Everyone in that hair salon was required to wear a mask. Washing your hands and staying six feet apart is also important but I'm seeing more evidence that masks are the most important preventative measure. The virus doesn't appear to spread on surfaces very well. If you touch a door knob that a covid carrier touched you probably won't get it. If you talk to the carrier face to face that's where the risk is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On 6/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, JetsFan20 said:

I mean the fact that players are testing positive in CFB in other sports before the games are even played is alarming. We just don’t seem ready for this right now as a country. 

So this may seem off-topic, but bear with me.  Was just reading the reopening plan for my kid's school.

It involves testing before the kids leave...testing immediately upon arrival...5 day isolation and test again, then testing every 5 days.  Yes, they're planning on having a few hundred kids out of 30,000 test positive, some isolate at home, some isolate if they test positive in the 1st 2 tests after arrival.

So, I dunno....call me Polyanna, call me a ####-eyed optimist, but if the NFL is planning something similar and IF the players are willing to do the mask/spacial isolation thing on their time outside the facility.....maybe the NFL season could work? [edit: LOL at the language filter]

On 6/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, JetsFan20 said:

There was a doctor in Italy that said it was weakening, but Fauchi said there is no way to determine that right now. 

These guys make a living off their bodies. They definitely don’t want to be exposed to this virus.

To be honest, I think most of the younger NFL players feel invincible and invulnerable and are sure they'll be fine.  LETSGO!

I think it's the older guys, the guys who have had their reality check that it's harder and harder to maintain that elite level of athleticism and extra edge as they age, those are the ones who are  "OK, what's the plan, NFL?" and critically evaluating it.

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

fwiw, I wear masks to any store I go to, but when states re-open further, and we test more, we’ll obviously have more positive tests.  

As long as we keep hospitals in good shape and keep deaths down, we’ll be ok.... after all, the end-game wasn’t to “stop” COVID, despite what the media tells us for their own reasons....

The issue is that the medical system in states like Arizona and Texas are getting overwhelmed. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Relevant too.  Anyone got an answer?  "How many coach and player fatalities are acceptable?"

My guess would be zero.  One would be too many and I doubt the NFL or NFLPA wants to deal with it, be it player, coach, official, and on.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's one possible factor - states that don't require masks may also have lenient policies across the board that contribute to the percentage increase. But that article also shows that the stringency of the mask policy itself also correlates to a rise or fall in cases. States that have a mask policy only in certain businesses also have seen cases drop, but not as much as states that have a universal mask policy. States that only require certain employees to wear masks have still seen an increase in cases, but not as much as states that have no mask policy at all. There is some level of correlation from mask policies to cases of the virus, even accounting for other factors.

I always refer back to that hair salon where 2 stylists tested positive, but not one of their 140 customers or 6 co-workers tested positive after the fact. Everyone in that hair salon was required to wear a mask. Washing your hands and staying six feet apart is also important but I'm seeing more evidence that masks are the most important preventative measure. The virus doesn't appear to spread on surfaces very well. If you touch a door knob that a covid carrier touched you probably won't get it. If you talk to the carrier face to face that's where the risk is.

I think we don't have enough evidence about how transmissible covid-19 is from touching a surface where infectious droplets have landed.  There are just too many cases where the source of the transmission is not known. We do have some pretty hard evidence it does occur - there's a case study from S Korea where the only contact they could find for one woman was, she sat in the same seat in a church that had been previously occupied (several hours previously) by the index patient in a transmission cluster.  But obviously a lot of things have to go on - virus needs to fall on the surface, someone else needs to touch the surface, THEN they need to touch their nose/mouth/eyes.  That's why masks are da bomb, block the virus off from falling on the surface AND block the nose/mouth from being touched, at least (hopefully) until after you've washed your hands.

This is of course relevant to the sports world because we want to know, if the players wear masks in the locker and meeting rooms, and stay spatially isolated while lifting weights, is that enough?  Or do they have to sanitize the weight benches and bars/grips in between uses?  If one player with covid-19 tackles the RB on 1st down, then two other players tackle him on 3rd down, is he a fomite?  If one player calls a player on the other team a fomite, will that constitute a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, or is "truth" a defense?

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s not just because they opened. It’s because they reopened and did not follow the CDC guidelines for reopening. They started reopening before they ever even met the criteria to enter phase 1. The CDC laid our clear guidelines on what was required to enter phase 1 reopening.

These states seeing the biggest spikes started opening before they met the guidelines. Then to make things worse they started opening bars, restaurants, gyms, movie theaters (etc) in phase one (a clear violation of the CDC reopening guidelines). Then add that onto them not issuing the CDC mask and social distancing guidelines (or making it voluntary) and it’s easy to understand why they’re dealing with these outbreaks/surges.

Look at NY state as a comparison. The had the worst outbreak in the country and now many places in NY are close to entering phase 4 of reopening (the final phase) and their cases still aren’t spiking like in some of these other states. But NY followed the reopening guidelines to the letter, despite the pressure to speed things up. 

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s not just because they opened. It’s because they reopened and did not follow the CDC guidelines for reopening. They started reopening before they ever even met the criteria to enter phase 1. The CDC laid our clear guidelines on what was required to enter phase 1 reopening.

These states seeing the biggest spikes started opening before they met the guidelines. Then to make things worse they started opening bars, restaurants, gyms, movie theaters (etc) in phase one (a clear violation of the CDC reopening guidelines). Then add that onto them not issuing the CDC mask and social distancing guidelines (or making it voluntary) and it’s easy to understand why they’re dealing with these outbreaks/surges.

Look at NY state as a comparison. The had the worst outbreak in the country and now many places in NY are close to entering phase 4 of reopening (the final phase) and their cases still aren’t spiking like in some of these other states. But NY followed the reopening guidelines to the letter, despite the pressure to speed things up. 

I spend my time in both Atlanta and South Carolina.. I honestly have zero issue with how either state has handled this.   Businesses haven’t been too hurt, in comparison to the rest of the country, and yea - we have increasing cases - but that was never the goal (to stop COVID)... The goal was to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, and that’s not happening.  

People who want to point the finger at states over increasing cases seem to be engaged in a red state/blue state food fight.   I prefer to look at this rationally... Is the death rate down? Yes.  Are hospitals overwhelmed? No.  Until that changes, I’m of the mindset that we need to live our lives the best we can.   

As far as NY goes, I’d prefer to not look at the epicenter of the outbreak in America as any type of role model.   

As far as masks go... I’ll agree that people need to get over it and just wear one in crowds.  Even if you don’t believe they do anything, just go buy one with a Bills logo and rock it as sports gear or something. 

The biggest part of plan is whether players follow rules. Part of reason for spike in Florida is many people, in Miami area especially, went to beach and bars while packing in together despite it being against the guidelines. If NFL "required" players to stay out of bars and one was found in bar what is punishment? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The biggest part of plan is whether players follow rules. Part of reason for spike in Florida is many people, in Miami area especially, went to beach and bars while packing in together despite it being against the guidelines. If NFL "required" players to stay out of bars and one was found in bar what is punishment? 

Yup - Players can still see their families and go to restaurants and what not, but until there’s a vaccine, teams will have to figure out how to handle a player if he goes to a bar or club. 

Edited by SCBills