Does the NFL have a bubble plan? Covid rising

Ramza86

I wonder if they can run the numbers in the last couple weeks to see just how many people have tested positive and been asymptomatic? 

Seem like just about every case in college football these players have no symptoms.... Dr’s have been saying outs weakening, if that’s true will we see more people getting it with no symptoms?

11 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I wonder if they can run the numbers in the last couple weeks to see just how many people have tested positive and been asymptomatic? 

Seem like just about every case in college football these players have no symptoms.... Dr’s have been saying outs weakening, if that’s true will we see more people getting it with no symptoms?

There was a doctor in Italy that said it was weakening, but Fauchi said there is no way to determine that right now. 

These guys make a living off their bodies. They definitely don’t want to be exposed to this virus. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That’s ok, we’re just going to stupid bro our way through it.  If enough of us have the opinion that it’s just a harmless flu, the virus will disappear.  It feeds off of fear like a Stephen King story.  Take away the fear and you take away its power.  If you wear a mask the terrorists win!

Haha, except they always realize it after just about everyone is dead and it's delivered like: "As Jimmy stumbled out of the zombie apocalypse with the bits of his friends still floating down from the sky around him, Jimmy chose to focus on living his life differently going forward. In fact Jimmy learned a valuable lesson that day as he realized in the moment before the zombie bit his head off. That moment when his fear gave way to calm acceptance and the zombie just poof, vanished. He had it within him the entire time, amd though he didn't realize in time to save 30 of his closest friends and family, but he would keep with him forever the fact that they did not die in vain, and with that knowledge he could finally be happy. Because on that day he realized that fear is the root of all evil."

Or something like that...I just read 500 pages for that moral!  I've only read Cell, Despiration and Green Mile by him though and it was like 10 years ago...Green Mile for the win though, sooo good!

Dean Koontz is similar in how he does that too a bit.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

We are getting closer to actual sports.....teammates are practicing with each other..lots of opportunity to get Covid. Do they have a real plan in place to keep the NFL covid free before camp/preseason? Nobody wants a key player to test positive the day before camp.

I think the NBA has the right idea by locking everyone in Orlando. Get tested...if you are clear you can live in the bubble and cannot leave. 

Are we getting closer to actual sports?

We are getting closer to league proposed start dates for some sports.

Actually playing games is a different matter entirely.

I have said for months now that I will be surprised if the NFL is playing real games in early September as planned.

I don't think the proposed NHL playoff will happen at all, and baseball was supposed to start around July 4th.  That's going to be delayed and it may be a while before we see their games too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

What sources do you have for the claim that this science is unproven? Here are a few sources I found that show the opposite:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

^Both of the above were meta analyses, meaning they reviewed a number of different studies and essentially combined the results into a single conclusion

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

And if peer reviewed science isn't your thing, how do you explain this:

https://www.livescience.com/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

So now the ball is in your court. If you want to engage in a real scientific discussion then read through these snippets and come back with some of your own. If you want to bury your head in the sand that is also your right. Just don't bring that mindset into a legitimate scientific discussion.

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

What sources do you have for the claim that this science is unproven? Here are a few sources I found that show the opposite:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

^Both of the above were meta analyses, meaning they reviewed a number of different studies and essentially combined the results into a single conclusion

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

And if peer reviewed science isn't your thing, how do you explain this:

https://www.livescience.com/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

So now the ball is in your court. If you want to engage in a real scientific discussion then read through these snippets and come back with some of your own. If you want to bury your head in the sand that is also your right. Just don't bring that mindset into a legitimate scientific discussion.

Again , was offering  an opinion 

32 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Again , was offering  an opinion 

You’re trolling.  You know that’s not how opinions work right?  You don’t get to have the “opinion” that the Earth is flat.  You know this - you just enjoy poking anyone you think is a “liberal” - there’s nothing you enjoy more, I suspect.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I am not sure how they do that.  The national calls our medical leaders are on with other health care leaders around the country (and world) is not really showing a weakening as hospitalizations are increasing significantly in many areas and ICU capacity is less than 20% in many of these areas - a huge concern and a stark realization that it is not weaker and the heat of Florida, Texas, and Arizona is not stopping the spread.  The biggest differences in deaths will be the advancements made in treatment to people in ICU’s rather than the virus being weaker.

They are also having issues with “symptoms” because the presentation in younger, healthier population is different than in older populations.  Doctors are now recognizing that what you look for in a 50-70 year old patient as symptoms- fever, shortness of breath, cough, breathing difficulties, etc. - is missed in the younger population because of greater lung capacity.  They find that many of these kids have slightly impaired lung function and minor inflammation (as seen with certain lab tests), but not enough that the person really notices - so are they asymptomatic or are they symptomatic with minor issues.  

They are also trying to look at their ability to spread because many times they do not notice the signs as they are minor and are now coming up positive as part of their training and getting back to schools, but the contact tracing on these kids is critical because they tend to be more open and free and therefore more likely to be exposed to higher numbers of people than the more elderly population.  

It is a huge and important part and it will be very interesting to see as the governor of Texas is finally admitting it is an issue again and is telling people to stay home - with a warning that if things don’t change - they may have to shut down again.  They are also threatening bar and restaurant owners with losing their licenses over crowds - something almost unheard of for a Texas governor.  I think if it is bad enough that they are talking about next steps backwards - I think that answers some of the weakening.

So I hope the NFL has a big overall plan as Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California account for 10 NFL teams in states with rising cases that can have a major impact on the overall season.  We will see and I have faith the NFL is making many plans even if we almost never here of anything except - we plan on playing a full season.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This country is in serious trouble.

It really is.  I know people who went to the hospital with COVID and never came out.  No pre-existing conditions.  Their families are devastated.  But some folks think they get to have the "opinion" that masks don't do anything and it's their right not to wear them, that we've waited long enough to crowd into concerts and bars and restaurants and monster truck rallies.  Great American Idiocy is on full display right now.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 12

https://theathletic.com/1887591/2020/06/23/i-dont-think-i-trust-the-league-yet-bills-players-reckon-with-case-outbreaks/

(Athletic sub. required)

Major League Baseball closed down training facilities in Florida and Arizona after outbreaks. The Tampa Bay Lightning shut down their facility after three players and additional staff tested positive. Nick Watney contracted it and withdrew from this weekend’s PGA Tour event. The Orlando Pride pulled out of the NWSL tournament after six players and four staffers contracted it. Top-ranked tennis player Novak Djokovic tested positive after an outbreak at his charity event in Croatia. A group of 30 UCLA football players demanded independent oversight of coach Chip Kelly’s coronavirus policies. A third of national champion LSU’s roster is under quarantine.

All of these events happened since Friday. And this is only a partial list.

“Talking to a lot of guys around the league,” said Bills safety and NFL Players Association team representative alternate Micah Hyde, “that’s something that has to get figured out or else they don’t want to participate. I want to see where things go in the next month or so, but seeing all these spikes across the country and all these college teams with outbreaks is not good.”

Although the league hasn’t put forth any COVID-19 protocols yet, infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said last week the NFL would need to implement a “bubble” format (isolation and frequent testing) similar to what the NBA and MLS are implementing.

Should the NFL require isolation to play, Hyde said he would choose his family over football. He wouldn’t be alone.

“If you told me right now I could play this season but I wouldn’t see my family, I don’t know if I’m doing that,” Hyde said. “It’s bigger than football. I want to get back just as much as the next guy and compete, but your family is what keeps you sane, and I’m not going to risk someone else’s life to play a game.”

One of Hyde’s grandparents is in cancer remission; another is undergoing chemotherapy. Hyde also welcomed a son this spring.

So did Buffalo kicker Stephen Hauschka, who echoed Hyde’s family-first sentiment. “If it comes down to football or seeing your family for six months,” Hauschka said, “I think most players will choose to see their families.

“The NFL would love it if guys would isolate from our families and keep this thing tight, but it’s not going to work like that. I don’t think the players’ union would let something like that happen.”

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am not sure how they do that.  The national calls our medical leaders are on with other health care leaders around the country (and world) is not really showing a weakening as hospitalizations are increasing significantly in many areas and ICU capacity is less than 20% in many of these areas - a huge concern and a stark realization that it is not weaker and the heat of Florida, Texas, and Arizona is not stopping the spread.  The biggest differences in deaths will be the advancements made in treatment to people in ICU’s rather than the virus being weaker.

Well said.

I think we saw the same concern with the virus being prevalent in hot south east asian counties in Feb and March.

Regarding the bolded part, living in south florida, I think something that needs to be talked about way more is that during the summer down here, people go inside, and we spend a lot more time outside during the rest of the year. Not to discount people not taking it seriously, there are a ton of people acting business as usual down here.

It's not even that we spend less time outside during the summer, it's that we can't really spend that much time outside if we wanted to.

Forget the heat for a second (with an umbrella as long as the humidity isn't absolutely brutal you can handle it, and honestly I don't think we've even really hit the start of summer weather quite yet), it's the mosquitos. We got over 17 inches of rain in May and another 5.5 in June in fort lauderdale (mostly in big rainfall events). The mosquitoes are absolutely brutal on my back deck (hoping I found where they were breeding and flipped over a bucket, but our plants down here evolved to literally hold water in them for birds and such to drink out of. I actually bought a giant mosquito net when all this started back in feb, but the idea of having to take it down before every rain storm is keeping me from putting it up.

Anyway, short version, I think in the summer up north people go outside, and down south in the summer people go inside, especially south florida where everything is pretty much so efficiently air conditioned.

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That’s ok, we’re just going to stupid bro our way through it.  If enough of us have the opinion that it’s just a harmless flu, the virus will disappear.  It feeds off of fear like a Stephen King story.  Take away the fear and you take away its power.  If you wear a mask the terrorists win!

OMG I almost spit out my drink laughing! ??

You forgot about testing though. We need to do away with that too.

No testing = no cases. Like for example, Recently my GF told me she might be pregnant. I told her not to take a pregnancy test because I’m not ready for a kid. No positive test = no kid. Problem solved! 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

OMG I almost spit out my drink laughing! ??

You forgot about testing though. We need to do away with that too.

No testing = no cases. Like for example, Recently my GF told me she might be pregnant. I told her not to take a pregnancy test because I’m not ready for a kid. No positive test = no kid. Problem solved! 

Then when she ends up having the kid, just say you were joking about pregnancy tests you always wanted her to get a pregnancy test (it's on us if we couldn't detect the sarcasm) and say were actually talking about a paternity test. 

That corrupt, Maurey Pauvich, calling me on his show to do a paternity test. And he's a phony, phony Maurey people call him, and it's all for the ratings and his ratings stink, though sometimes I do get surprised when they say "you are the father." I think wow, that is like a time machine, going back in the past to see who the dad was, poor guy has to live in these magical times of time travel, but the rating stink folks, they stink. Now they want you to believe that I am the father, but they have no proof, it's all fake news people, it's fake, they're just trying to use me for the ratings.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, nedboy7 said:

It seems pretty clear that no one has a clear plan at this time.  Not at local or federal level.  Just a giant display of ineptitude. 

GREED also plays a huge role in this. If I was a top 40 player and had millions in the bank there is no way I would be playing this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, jethro_tull said:

One thing to understand is that most of the media are not doing a good job at reporting information that is qualified to be meaningful to us.  

For example it seems daunting when there is a rise in confirmed cases- but we need to understand is that more people are being tested than ever before and the new case numbers are not a good indicator on what actions are needed.  

The best indicator IMHO are the rate of new fatalities.  This number is fairly consistently tracked and would show a trend of the actual cases both confirmed and unconfirmed.  

For example, the US 14 day trend is + 32% new cases, but down 31% in new deaths.  That is a big deal and a very encouraging sign.  

I think that stat is a bit flawed, some areas are experiencing higher positives in younger demographics. Further, death rate trails positive rate considerably. If you want the most clear outlook,  % positive tests. Yes, Trump was right, more tests, more positive totals. But the % movement should be decreasing against a stable or rising test rate if you want validation that cases are actually declining. 

On 6/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, dwight in philly said:

Just heard people of color do not have to wear masks in an oregon county.. as i have heard about the "science" on here.. what kind of "science"is that ? seriously .. i want to learn 

I heard about that, it's a stupid policy with flimsy reasoning. But that's just one county. Don't let that confuse you. The science is still clear.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Got a link?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/oregon-county-people-of-color-mask-trnd/index.html

Not to get off topic too much but the policy is very real and very stupid.

[Edit: per the link above it sounds as if the county in question rescinded their stupid policy so, there's that]