Does the NFL have a bubble plan? Covid rising

Ramza86

We are getting closer to actual sports.....teammates are practicing with each other..lots of opportunity to get Covid. Do they have a real plan in place to keep the NFL covid free before camp/preseason? Nobody wants a key player to test positive the day before camp.

I think the NBA has the right idea by locking everyone in Orlando. Get tested...if you are clear you can live in the bubble and cannot leave. 

49 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

We are getting closer to actual sports.....teammates are practicing with each other..lots of opportunity to get Covid. Do they have a real plan in place to keep the NFL covid free before camp/preseason? Nobody wants a key player to test positive the day before camp.

I think the NBA has the right idea by locking everyone in Orlando. Get tested...if you are clear you can live in the bubble and cannot leave. 

The NBA roster size is small compared to an NFL training camp roster of some 90 players.  So any plan is more manageable.   The NFL plan should include developing a detailed understanding of current treatment and testing options and what treatment and testing options are expected to be available by September.   This and developing a customized and personal risk assessment for each player, coach, training staff, and other team personnel.  So they can understand each person's specific risks of getting infected and the potential for serious illness since not everyone is going to feel sick and very few will have a high chance of dying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

It seems pretty clear that no one has a clear plan at this time.  Not at local or federal level.  Just a giant display of ineptitude. 

As far as the sports leagues go...I wouldn't say ineptitude....maybe a bit too much optimism......planning for  the best case scenario (or at least hoping for it and integrating it into the plans.)  Heres the thing, they want to play, they want to make money....so they have to plan for that based on the current conditions and then make adjustments around it.

They would much rather plan for a scenario with a bit of caution that makes them the most money and adjust on the fly if need be.......rather than plan for a scenario that doesn't make them as much money.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

good luck enforcing that bubble with a bunch of 20 year old millionaires. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

It seems pretty clear that no one has a clear plan at this time.  Not at local or federal level.  Just a giant display of ineptitude. 

I would agree. I think the premise of a sport (NBA) using a bubble technique makes the most sense for both safety and a completion of a season. But as we have heard, people inside this bubble serving the players will be leaving the bubble. There's really no way to 100% ensure no one gets infected. When this fall hits you'll have covid rising again mixed in with influenza A & B. Good luck trying to getting college football players cooperating with any bubble plan. Or keeping NFL players from going out. This challenge of playing football will be daunting. Players will pop up positive. Sure rosters and practice squads will be drastically expanded. You just can't bubble football. It's not realistic. And for this same reason puts it at most risk.

I think of all sports, it would be the most difficult to implement this plan in football. You have a roster of 50+, a practice squad, a coach for every position, assistant coaches at every position, twenty people on the cameras, sound men, photographers, color commentaries, statisticians, etc, etc. I really can’t even fathom how many people each game would need. Probably around 500? There isn’t a bubble big enough for 32 NFL teams to remain in. 

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

good luck enforcing that bubble with a bunch of 20 year old millionaires. 

This too, if the NFL tried to put in any penalties with teeth the NFLPA would never approve it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

There is no Magic Plan. There can be precautions, but the virus is going to do what the virus wants to do until we have more effective treatments or a vaccine. The NBA can try their bubble approach, but nobody is “safe” and I’m skeptical. That’s virtually impossible in football, college or pro, and I’m very, VERY concerned about this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

There is no Magic Plan. There can be precautions, but the virus is going to do what the virus wants to do until we have more effective treatments or a vaccine. The NBA can try their bubble approach, but nobody is “safe” and I’m skeptical. That’s virtually impossible in football, college or pro, and I’m very, VERY concerned about this season. 

I’m not even concerned at this point.  I just don’t see how it’s possible.  I think they’ll give it a go and shut it down before the week 1 due to too many cases.  

The only thing that I fear is that we lose a year of our current player contracts.  We have so many young and productive players playing in their rookie contracts that losing a year of contracts will hurt us more than most teams.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

One thing to understand is that most of the media are not doing a good job at reporting information that is qualified to be meaningful to us.  

For example it seems daunting when there is a rise in confirmed cases- but we need to understand is that more people are being tested than ever before and the new case numbers are not a good indicator on what actions are needed.  

The best indicator IMHO are the rate of new fatalities.  This number is fairly consistently tracked and would show a trend of the actual cases both confirmed and unconfirmed.  

For example, the US 14 day trend is + 32% new cases, but down 31% in new deaths.  That is a big deal and a very encouraging sign.  

[EDIT: I'd like to ask you folks to redirect general covid discussion to the covid-19 threads in OTW or in PPP.  Thanks.  And the stat you're looking for for "new case numbers being a good indicator on what actions are needed" is % positive cases.  When the mere number of positive cases rises, it may be a result of more testing.  When the % positive tests rises, more people are getting infected. 

For Example from the NY Forward Dashboard we can see that the number of tests is rising, but the % positive is falling:
image.thumb.png.4af3140f4feeb27ce3f168ad78c7d11f.png
By contrast, for Arizona, we see that testing is going up but positive cases are going up faster, leading to an increase in % positive tests.  That wasn't true for a while in late April (testing went up, while % positive went down) but that changed.

image.thumb.png.a594f90547183ea24c2f16c47709ab87.png

There's typically about a 4-6 week lag in deaths, so they aren't a good indicator.  Discuss more with ya over in the covid-19 threads, 'K?

• Like (+1) 5

Has anyone seen where one of these athletes has really struggled with the virus? All I have seen is so-and-so tested positive and then they are basically Covid free after a few days. It was the same with Sean Payton. He said in a couple of days or so he was back to normal. I know it affects everyone different, but I haven't seen where any of these athletes have been knocked down by it. 

• Like (+1) 2

My buddy is a top audio mixer for live NHL broadcasts in Canada (Dome/Rogers/CBC).  If he was to work in a hub city he would have to be in full isolation with the players. 

Once you enter you stay, if you leave you don't come back.  It's not just isolated hotels, it isolated restaurants, food services, etc...  If you have access to the players you are in the bubble.

They've spent the down time working on a plan to do everything remotely, so some support staff can have a life outside of the sport.  These sports reach so far beyond just the players, there's a hell of a lot of people that would have to be in isolation to make the NFL work inside a bubble.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:44 AM, H2o said:

Has anyone seen where one of these athletes has really struggled with the virus? All I have seen is so-and-so tested positive and then they are basically Covid free after a few days. It was the same with Sean Payton. He said in a couple of days or so he was back to normal. I know it affects everyone different, but I haven't seen where any of these athletes have been knocked down by it. 

Thank you.  These athletes (and their coaches) are at far greater risk of dying in an auto accident on their way to practice.  

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
General covid-19 discussion to the covid-19 threads please
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, kdub said:

No it is not a "very encouraging sign". Take a look at these maps (from nytimes): Note the delay between the rise in hospitalizations and deaths, about 2-3 weeks.  IF deaths continue to go down after 2-3 weeks have past (actually like 1-2 weeks since we started going up a week ago), then it will be an encouraging sign.

image.thumb.png.697f79cb6d7e089e1d5f8a46db2752e9.png

The statistical deviation in cases resulting in deaths has already occurred. The new cases may result in hospitalizations, but ICU and deaths have deviated and stable and continuing to decrease as 1) younger, less vulnerable populations catch the virus and 2) treatment and therapeutics improve. The "wait two weeks"  and "death is a lagging indicator" statements are not as valid as they once were.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Figure any football player who gets the virus will miss 3 weeks of games. That's a lot of players missing a lot of games - plus every other injury.

3 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Figure any football player who gets the virus will miss 3 weeks of games. That's a lot of players missing a lot of games - plus every other injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if some athletes "try" to get it before the season to avoid missing time.  

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Yeah and imagine a position group getting hit at the same time. Now you have the DLine  out for three games as a group.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Just like the draft, all it takes is one. One team falls in love with a player and you have yourself a nice payday. One player dies who has an underlying condition and........the other 3000 are going to be like......