Nick O'Leary Recovering from Heart Attack

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I feel that routine cardiac imaging would be extremely beneficial as these tests actually reveal blockages. Otherwise, unsuspecting people randomly have fatal heart attacks. Bloodwork, EKGs, stress tests, and echocardiograms are nothing more than guesswork to predict risk, when we could be jumping straight to looking at the arteries but we don't for financial reasons.

My personal journey agrees 100%.  It was surreal when it happened, but I experienced 1st heart attack at 51 after clean stress test 2 weeks prior.  Angiogram at time of attack showed 95% blockage of LAD (widow maker, the same one that took Tim Russert).  After that event scared the daylights out of me, promptly lost 50 pounds in 7 months, cholesterol and BP went from high to perfect... best shape of my life and then on successive weeks, chest pain on treadmill lead my doctor to order nuclear stress test which came back clean.  One week later, same thing happened again on treadmill along with a bit of shortness of breath.  This time we went for the gold standard, angiogram!  Showed main coronary artery blockage at 90%.  Triple bypass surgery on the spot.  Only thing that spotted either blockage was angiogram.  8 years later, all still good but I never feel secure when my stress tests come back clean...  Godspeed Nick!  Work hard, you can recover fully.  Daily baby aspirin and statins...  Thumbs up to the good docs of South Buffalo Mercy Hospital!  Forever grateful and humbled by the experience.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

My personal journey agrees 100%.  It was surreal when it happened, but I experienced 1st heart attack at 51 after clean stress test 2 weeks prior.  Angiogram at time of attack showed 95% blockage of LAD (widow maker, the same one that took Tim Russert).  After that event scared the daylights out of me, promptly lost 50 pounds in 7 months, cholesterol and BP went from high to perfect... best shape of my life and then on successive weeks, chest pain on treadmill lead my doctor to order nuclear stress test which came back clean.  One week later, same thing happened again on treadmill along with a bit of shortness of breath.  This time we went for the gold standard, angiogram!  Showed main coronary artery blockage at 90%.  Triple bypass surgery on the spot.  Only thing that spotted either blockage was angiogram.  8 years later, all still good but I never feel secure when my stress tests come back clean...  Godspeed Nick!  Work hard, you can recover fully.  Daily baby aspirin and statins...  Thumbs up to the good docs of South Buffalo Mercy Hospital!  Forever grateful and humbled by the experience.

Damn. It seems a LOT of the tests are simply missing the mark completely. Yours is quite an example. But of course, all pro athletes have testing done yet many don't find out about heart issues till it's too late. They need to improve the testing procedures!

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/06/23/former-bills-tight-end-nick-oleary-has-heart-surgery-to-clear-100-blockage/

Former Bills tight end Nick O'Leary, now with the Raiders, had surgery to clear 100% blockage of an artery to his heart last month and is hoping to resume his football career in 2021.

Did he have a heart attack or did they just put a stent in him?

5 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/health-management/yoga-teacher-practicing-again-after-covid-19-triggered-cardiac-arrest

Carr knew she had COVID-19 when she experienced mild symptoms and then got a positive test result, though she’d been social distancing and being as careful as she could. But staying home to wait it out was no longer an option when that seemingly minor case of COVID-19 turned into heart failure – and four episodes of cardiac arrest.

Article is a bit imprecise: Covid caused 4 heart attacks not heart failure.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Story says....  He said he felt pain in his left arm and chest during a workout and while exercising. He went to the hospital and was told he had had a heart attack. He spent three nights in the hospital.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Similar but not the same?  I haven't been to medical school in a long time.  In fact....ever.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-dorenbos-saints-farmer-20171209-story.html

Dorenbos, 37, a Pro Bowl long snapper entering his 15th season, saw his career come to an abrupt end in September when John Amoss, a doctor for the Saints, discovered Dorenbos’ life-threatening heart condition after the final exhibition game. It was an aortic aneurysm that went undetected by the Eagles, who traded Dorenbos to New Orleans this summer after 12 seasons in Philadelphia.

An (Abdominal) aortic aneurysm is nothing like a blocked artery. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

So the difference is thrombemobolism vs not. Clots like DVT’s, PE’s and strokes from Afib are different than plaque disease. PE’s are not stented. You are put on blood thinners to break down the clot.

Atherosclerotic rupture is secondary to atherosclerotic risk factors, such as DM, HTN, HL. 

I had a DVT, left femoral vein, and a PE , a clot broke off, went through my heart into my right lung, outside of it almost killing me in hurt like hell, and  left me a bit debilitated for a while to say the least, the doctor installed what they called a Greenfield filter to catch any other clots that might break off before they got to my heart, all this was at the age of thirty six, I was a very fit bicycle racer at the time and for the previous thirteen years, and more before that, a stint in the Marine Corp, so fit athletic folk can have heart attacks and other such cardiovascular diseases. Genetics can reap havoc on you if your predisposed for that sort of thing, I had no idea that I was a candidate for such an entertaining series of events.

But luckily for me life went on.

Go Bills!!! 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow that’s horrible. And I would think rare for a professional athlete given the typical training and diet. 

In my family just looking at cholesterol clogs the arteries.  Sometimes it  is a genetic issue

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He said both.

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I had a DVT, left femoral vein, and a PE , a clot broke off, went through my heart into my right lung, outside of it almost killing me in hurt like hell, and  left me a bit debilitated for a while to say the least, the doctor installed what they called a Greenfield filter to catch any other clots that might break off before they got to my heart, all this was at the age of thirty six, I was a very fit bicycle racer at the time and for the previous thirteen years, and more before that, a stint in the Marine Corp, so fit athletic folk can have heart attacks and other such cardiovascular diseases. Genetics can reap havoc on you if your predisposed for that sort of thing, I had no idea that I was a candidate for such an entertaining series of events.

Go Bills!!! 

These things have gone away by and large.  Or at least when used are removed within 6 months.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

There are no such dietary changes that will reverse his risk.  Maintaining an normal BP, blood sugar and lipid profile are his only weapons.  His disease didn't result form his diet.

?  Diet can play a significant role in all 3.  It's a reasonable assumption genetics was the main factor, are you saying just medicate and don't worry about the diet?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

?  Diet can play a significant role in all 3.  It's a reasonable assumption genetics was the main factor, are you saying just medicate and don't worry about the diet?

No I'm saying his diet won't lessen his risk going forward.   A proper diet may help him achieve better glucose control and BP, but that's it.  He will be dependent on medications for the rest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He said both.

These things have gone away by and large.  Or at least when used are removed within 6 months.

When I asked my Doc how long would the Greenfield filter be inside me, he basically said, as long as I’m alive, he alluded it would be messy to remove it, anyway it’s still in me... this was thirty five years ago, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!! 

An IVC filter prevents clots from going to your heart because it has to go to your heart to go to your pulmonary arteries, which is where PE’s are, which block perfusion between your blood supply and lungs.

It’s not the same as heart attacks or cardiovascular disease. Completely different pathophysiology and anatomical course.

Edited by FireChans

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No I'm saying his diet won't lessen his risk going forward.   A proper diet may help him achieve better glucose control and BP, but that's it.  He will be dependent on medications for the rest.

I don't mean to be argumentative but how can you say diet changes won't affect LDL?  That's simply not true.

4 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I don't mean to be argumentative but how can you say diet changes won't affect LDL?  That's simply not true.

The greatest chunk of O’Leary’s risk is now that he has proven atherosclerotic disease.