Nick O'Leary Recovering from Heart Attack

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Similar but not the same?  I haven't been to medical school in a long time.  In fact....ever.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-dorenbos-saints-farmer-20171209-story.html

Dorenbos, 37, a Pro Bowl long snapper entering his 15th season, saw his career come to an abrupt end in September when John Amoss, a doctor for the Saints, discovered Dorenbos’ life-threatening heart condition after the final exhibition game. It was an aortic aneurysm that went undetected by the Eagles, who traded Dorenbos to New Orleans this summer after 12 seasons in Philadelphia.

he just couldn't be kept away from the magic.

Having been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, it is a kick in the azs to go through such an experience, I truly hope he recovers and gets healthy again. I understand that my diagnosis is different from a heart attack, but is sobering nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Covid19 is causing clotting issues and the evidence is mounting that this is true for mild cases in healthy younger people:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/28/847447222/covid-19-thickens-blood-causes-strokes-in-some-patients-with-mild-symptoms

I would imagine if it can cause a stroke or pulmonary embolism they can block the heart as well (that particular article talks more about strokes specifically).

Yes, google: covid clotting mild symptoms

This is a crazy diseases and that to me is the most likely explanation that doesn't require extremely rare things to be happening with his genes or other random things.

Wasn’t thinking... you are. Correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Covid19 is causing clotting issues and the evidence is mounting that this is true for mild cases in healthy younger people:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/28/847447222/covid-19-thickens-blood-causes-strokes-in-some-patients-with-mild-symptoms

I would imagine if it can cause a stroke or pulmonary embolism they can block the heart as well (that particular article talks more about strokes specifically).

Yes, google: covid clotting mild symptoms

This is a crazy diseases and that to me is the most likely explanation that doesn't require extremely rare things to be happening with his genes or other random things.

So the difference is thrombemobolism vs not. Clots like DVT’s, PE’s and strokes from Afib are different than plaque disease. PE’s are not stented. You are put on blood thinners to break down the clot.

Atherosclerotic rupture is secondary to atherosclerotic risk factors, such as DM, HTN, HL. 

If this is COVID related, I wonder to what extent being an NFL athlete is a risk. I know people who are obese are considered more at risk for the disease and while NFL athletes aren't obese, they will weigh more than non-obese non-athletes. Obviously their weight is due to being healthy, but I wonder if simply weighing more might be a bad thing for COVID.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is an artery blockage the same as a clot? I honestly don’t know, I thought blockages were typically caused by self-induced  unhealthy lifestyle and clots could be more a result of other things. 

The blockage may be partial (resulting in ischemic heart muscle) from plaques or full, usually the result of a ruptured plaque that causes a large blood clot to form which can block the artery.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

A blockage is usually caused by arterial plaque -- which we all have -- breaking off and blocking the artery. This can happen at any time and is why you see thin, healthy people having heart attacks. It's much less common than in unhealthy people (they usually have more plaque), but it still happens. A consistent aspirin regimen is extremely protective as it thins the blood and allows it to bypass blockages.

I feel that routine cardiac imaging would be extremely beneficial as these tests actually reveal blockages. Otherwise, unsuspecting people randomly have fatal heart attacks. Bloodwork, EKGs, stress tests, and echocardiograms are nothing more than guesswork to predict risk, when we could be jumping straight to looking at the arteries but we don't for financial reasons.

It's more than financial reasons if you're talking about routine angiograms.  I don't fancy routinely having my femoral artery catheterized, ioversol injected, and having fluoroscope xray exposure "just in case".  Even though fairly routine, it does carry its own risks, also my platelet count is on the low end of normal (my own genetic factor).  Cholesterol and blood pressure problems over time are very good warning markers.  Routine blood testing for genetic abnormalities will eventually help greatly also.  There's an entire science to interpreting EKG's and nuclear stress tests certainly also are great indicators of a problem.

O'Leary had more than one blockage, sounds like genetic heart disease.  I know I wouldn't come back to NFL unless dietary changes clearly reverse the risk.

The yoga teacher had myopericarditis which is an inflammation of both the heart muscle and the pericardial sac surrounding it.  I don't deal with people, but in pigs it's nasty, so much fibrotic tissue forms as a result of the inflammation it covers the surface of the heart and adheres the pericardium.  Definitely pigs with this condition are much more susceptible to disruption of normal cardiac rhythm.

That's what happened to the yoga teacher.  Her normally healthy heart couldn't contract well(acute heart failure) and she also suffered 4 cardiac arrests which is complete loss of heart function due to normal electrical signal disruption.  But the underlying heart tissue wasn't chronically unhealthy and she hopefully makes a full recovery if no ischemia effects.

A heart attack (blockage) often results in cardiac arrest (loss of function) but that is not the only cause of cardiac arrest.  She didn't have blockages in this case.

Dorenbos had an aortic aneurysm, which is a weakness in the aortic wall  (just above the heart) which normally swells and can burst, killing quickly.

Edited by GaryPinC

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

The blockage may be partial (resulting in ischemic heart muscle) from plaques or full, usually the result of a ruptured plaque that causes a large blood clot to form which can block the artery.

It's more than financial reasons if you're talking about routine angiograms.  I don't fancy routinely having my femoral artery catheterized, ioversol injected, and having fluoroscope gamma exposure "just in case".  Even though fairly routine, it does carry its own risks, also my platelet count is on the low end of normal (my own genetic factor).  Cholesterol and blood pressure problems over time are very good warning markers.  Routine blood testing for genetic abnormalities will eventually help greatly also.  There's an entire science to interpreting EKG's and nuclear stress tests certainly also are great indicators of a problem.

O'Leary had more than one blockage, sounds like genetic heart disease.  I know I wouldn't come back to NFL unless dietary changes clearly reverse the risk.

The yoga teacher had myopericarditis which is an inflammation of both the heart muscle and the pericardial sac surrounding it.  I don't deal with people, but in pigs it's nasty, so much fibrotic tissue forms as a result of the inflammation it covers the surface of the heart and adheres the pericardium.  Definitely pigs with this condition are much more susceptible to disruption of normal cardiac rhythm.

That's what happened to the yoga teacher.  Her normally healthy heart couldn't contract well(acute heart failure) and she also suffered 4 cardiac arrests which is complete loss of heart function due to normal electrical signal disruption.  But the underlying heart tissue wasn't chronically unhealthy and she hopefully makes a full recovery if no ischemia effects.

A heart attack (blockage) often results in cardiac arrest (loss of function) but that is not the only cause of cardiac arrest.  She didn't have blockages in this case.

Dorenbos had an aortic aneurysm, which is a weakness in the aortic wall  (just above the heart) which normally swells and can burst, killing quickly.

There are no such dietary changes that will reverse his risk.  Maintaining an normal BP, blood sugar and lipid profile are his only weapons.  His disease didn't result form his diet.

• Like (+1) 2

High cholesterol and resulting atherosclerosis can be genetic, but the single most important thing anyone can do to lower risk regardless of genetic predisposition is to not shove so much saturated fat, trans fat and dietary cholesterol through your digestive system.  

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow that’s horrible. And I would think rare for a professional athlete given the typical training and diet. 

No, not at all... The diet IS the problem, they usually catch it with all the medical screenings is all. You will see more and more young people die this way. It will start happening at younger and younger ages as well.

The medical community will say blah blah blah too young... BULL$#!+....

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Like (+1) 1