Nick O'Leary Recovering from Heart Attack

https://buffalonews.com/2020/06/23/former-bills-tight-end-nick-oleary-has-heart-surgery-to-clear-100-blockage/

Former Bills tight end Nick O'Leary, now with the Raiders, had surgery to clear 100% blockage of an artery to his heart last month and is hoping to resume his football career in 2021.

• Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow that’s horrible. And I would think rare for a professional athlete given the typical training and diet. 

Raiders?...Chuckie and Mark Davis probably load up the team bus daily for the evening meal at the 'Hungry Heifer'.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow that’s horrible. And I would think rare for a professional athlete given the typical training and diet. 

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/health-management/yoga-teacher-practicing-again-after-covid-19-triggered-cardiac-arrest

Carr knew she had COVID-19 when she experienced mild symptoms and then got a positive test result, though she’d been social distancing and being as careful as she could. But staying home to wait it out was no longer an option when that seemingly minor case of COVID-19 turned into heart failure – and four episodes of cardiac arrest.

3 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/health-management/yoga-teacher-practicing-again-after-covid-19-triggered-cardiac-arrest

Carr knew she had COVID-19 when she experienced mild symptoms and then got a positive test result, though she’d been social distancing and being as careful as she could. But staying home to wait it out was no longer an option when that seemingly minor case of COVID-19 turned into heart failure – and four episodes of cardiac arrest.

Not the same thing. Heart failure =/= heart attack

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Extremely rare. You would be concerned for genetic abnormalities.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Did he have covid19?

Really?? 

here's another article:

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2020/6/22/21299847/retirement-heart-attack-nick-olearys-fsu-football-florida-state-tight-end-raiders-dolphins

He went to the emergency room and found out he'd had a heart attack.   They performed corrective surgery and hopefully next year he'll be healthy enough to resume his career.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Not the same thing. Heart failure =/= heart attack

Extremely rare. You would be concerned for genetic abnormalities.

Covid19 is causing clotting issues and the evidence is mounting that this is true for mild cases in healthy younger people:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/28/847447222/covid-19-thickens-blood-causes-strokes-in-some-patients-with-mild-symptoms

I would imagine if it can cause a stroke or pulmonary embolism they can block the heart as well (that particular article talks more about strokes specifically).

28 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Really?? 

Yes, google: covid clotting mild symptoms

This is a crazy diseases and that to me is the most likely explanation that doesn't require extremely rare things to be happening with his genes or other random things.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Didn't Jon Dorenbos have the same thing?

I don't remember.

Marcus Easley had heart issues, but not an attack.

What a frightening thing for O'Leary. Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Covid19 is causing clotting issues and the evidence is mounting that this is true for mild cases in healthy younger people:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/28/847447222/covid-19-thickens-blood-causes-strokes-in-some-patients-with-mild-symptoms

I would imagine if it can cause a stroke or pulmonary embolism they can block the heart as well (that particular article talks more about strokes specifically).

Yes, google: covid clotting mild symptoms

This is a crazy diseases and that to me is the most likely explanation that doesn't require extremely rare things to be happening with his genes or other random things.

Is an artery blockage the same as a clot? I honestly don’t know, I thought blockages were typically caused by self-induced  unhealthy lifestyle and clots could be more a result of other things. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is an artery blockage the same as a clot? I honestly don’t know, I thought blockages were typically caused by self-induced  unhealthy lifestyle and clots could be more a result of other things. 

A blockage is usually caused by arterial plaque -- which we all have -- breaking off and blocking the artery. This can happen at any time and is why you see thin, healthy people having heart attacks. It's much less common than in unhealthy people (they usually have more plaque), but it still happens. A consistent aspirin regimen is extremely protective as it thins the blood and allows it to bypass blockages.

I feel that routine cardiac imaging would be extremely beneficial as these tests actually reveal blockages. Otherwise, unsuspecting people randomly have fatal heart attacks. Bloodwork, EKGs, stress tests, and echocardiograms are nothing more than guesswork to predict risk, when we could be jumping straight to looking at the arteries but we don't for financial reasons.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I don't remember.

Marcus Easley had heart issues, but not an attack.

What a frightening thing for O'Leary. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Similar but not the same?  I haven't been to medical school in a long time.  In fact....ever.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-dorenbos-saints-farmer-20171209-story.html

Dorenbos, 37, a Pro Bowl long snapper entering his 15th season, saw his career come to an abrupt end in September when John Amoss, a doctor for the Saints, discovered Dorenbos’ life-threatening heart condition after the final exhibition game. It was an aortic aneurysm that went undetected by the Eagles, who traded Dorenbos to New Orleans this summer after 12 seasons in Philadelphia.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don't know either. What I think happens with unhealthy lifestyles is the arteries narrow with buildup, making it more likely a small piece of cholesterol coming loose or a small clot could block the blood flow.

A big clot could do the same thing I would imagine.

Interesting though that they put stents in...that makes me think the blood vessels were too narrow and needed to get opened back up. You wouldn't think they'd do something like that if there was just a random one off blockage.

• Like (+1) 1