Expansion of Practice Squads from 12 to 16 is under considertion

muppy

Expansion of Practice Squads from 12 to 16 is under consideration

As the NFL further processes the challenges of playing 269 total games that count amid an ongoing pandemic, the NFL is beginning to realize that more players than usual will likely be needed.

NFL Media reports that conversations are occurring regarding the possibility of expanding the practice squads from 12 to 16 per team. While that’s helpful, that probably won’t be nearly enough to have players ready in the event that a team experiences a coronavirus outbreak.

https-::profootballtalk.nbcsports.com:2020:06:17:expansi on-of-practice-squads-from-12-to-16-is-under-consideration: 
what do you think?

Edit / Delete
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Muppy said:

As the NFL further processes the challenges of playing 269 total games that count amid an ongoing pandemic, the NFL is beginning to realize that more players than usual will likely be needed.

NFL Media reports that conversations are occurring regarding the possibility of expanding the practice squads from 12 to 16 per team. While that’s helpful, that probably won’t be nearly enough to have players ready in the event that a team experiences a coronavirus outbreak.

https-::profootballtalk.nbcsports.com:2020:06:17:expansi on-of-practice-squads-from-12-to-16-is-under-consideration: 
what do you think?

Edit / Delete

Taking the whole Covid 19 out of the question having the PS go up to 12 this year is interesting.

Smart teams will need to learn to develop 2nd tier positions using the PS.

Fullbacks, Blocking TEs, Special Teams players, Kickers/Punters, Backup QBs, OGs all are good positions to use the PS to get a good look

for these type of players.  I'm hoping Beane and McDermott are going to make use of these new PS rules.

Having the extra spots during this Covid situation would help a lot this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think it's about time. Practice squads should be larger than 10 anyway. They should also make it tougher to sign a player away this year and allow liberal call ups, like a minor team in hockey or baseball.

Agree.

• Like (+1) 1

thanks for the replies. I love the idea. Mainly because it gives the team options and possibilities for bringing up guys for illness as well as injuries and broadens the range of talent the team is developing..possibly more positions too....I mean its not going to be a huge cost factor for teams to implement that  right? Would the idea conceivably be curtailed due to money?  

oops I just noticed:  sorry for the thread title typo maybe a mod could correct that please? Thank you

Edited by Muppy

12 minutes ago, Muppy said:

thanks for the replies. I love the idea. Mainly because it gives the team options and possibilities for bringing up guys for illness as well as injuries and broadens the range of talent the team is developing..possibly more positions too....I mean its not going to be a huge cost factor for teams to implement that  right? Would the idea conceivably be curtailed due to money?  

oops I just noticed:  sorry for the thread title typo maybe a mod could correct that please? Thank you

Lee Smith's cap hit more than pays for a 16 player PS so money is not an issue IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think it's about time. Practice squads should be larger than 10 anyway. They should also make it tougher to sign a player away this year and allow liberal call ups, like a minor team in hockey or baseball.

FWIW the CBA has always contained special rules to be able to use practice squad players with out all the normal rules (like the 3 week minimums and having to clear waivers before being re-signed to the squad, etc.) in the event of a team is hit by a contagious disease.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Tuco said:

FWIW the CBA has always contained special rules to be able to use practice squad players with out all the normal rules (like the 3 week minimums and having to clear waivers before being re-signed to the squad, etc.) in the event of a team is hit by a contagious disease.

awww so happy to read you here friend :-)))))

22 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Lee Smith's cap hit more than pays for a 16 player PS so money is not an issue IMO.

haha well with all the Pegulas are dealing with now at PSE and the upcoming football season uncertainty I didnt want to take anything for granted. It would see that anything that can expedite football back this season would be implemented. poste haste by them and the other owners  as well

Edited by Muppy
typo
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm pretty sure that big league clubs only get to designate a certain amount of guys for unlimited call ups

All other farm guys there is a Max number

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Taking the whole Covid 19 out of the question having the PS go up to 12 this year is interesting.

Smart teams will need to learn to develop 2nd tier positions using the PS.

Fullbacks, Blocking TEs, Special Teams players, Kickers/Punters, Backup QBs, OGs all are good positions to use the PS to get a good look

for these type of players.  I'm hoping Beane and McDermott are going to make use of these new PS rules.

Having the extra spots during this Covid situation would help a lot this year.

I’d rather develop 1st tier positions with hope that you can develop them into front line starters.  I could care less about a fullback, Kicker/punter or blocking tight end tbh.  

I get why you think this is a good idea but those positions will never impact the salary cap.  You’ll never have to break the bank to sign one.  That being said, I’d use the PS as a minor league of sorts.  Invest time and coaching in them with hopes that they can become (cheap) starters that allow you to plug and play when you inevitably lose top free agents (or players due to injury) due to paying your QB 30-40 mill a year after their rookie contract is up.

I’d load it up with corners, DL, OL and WR. 

I’d also like to see the restrictions on PS eligible players lifted.  Everyone should be eligible imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

i like it from a Bills point of view. We have less superstars than other teams but have much better depth. This will enable us to retain some of that depth. Especially important since the risk of roster inactives is higher in 2020 (covid and lack of proper offseason conditioning leading to more injuries).

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you are going to make it harder to sign away then they should be paid more.  Since they recently added caps to PS just recently I can not see then changing this quickly.

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Unfortunately the Bills do not appear to be looking for any possible reason to cut Lee Smith like you.

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm pretty sure that big league clubs only get to designate a certain amount of guys for unlimited call ups

All other farm guys there is a Max number

It's still easier than NFL practice squad rules.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, Muppy said:

what do you think?

Edit / Delete

Thanks for the post. This answers questions I have had and thoughts about how to mitigate a cancelling for games. The article suggests not only a bigger practice squad but a farm system similar to baseball which seems a bit of a reach to implement at this juncture. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d rather develop 1st tier positions with hope that you can develop them into front line starters.  I could care less about a fullback, Kicker/punter or blocking tight end tbh.  

I get why you think this is a good idea but those positions will never impact the salary cap.  You’ll never have to break the bank to sign one.  That being said, I’d use the PS as a minor league of sorts.  Invest time and coaching in them with hopes that they can become (cheap) starters that allow you to plug and play when you inevitably lose top free agents (or players due to injury) due to paying your QB 30-40 mill a year after their rookie contract is up.

I’d also like to see the restrictions on PS eligible players lifted.  Everyone should be eligible imo. 

I agree that it is best to find tier 1 positions that can be developed on the PS and I think most teams have been using the PS for depth in those positions.

My train of thought was more in regards to the expansion of the PS.  With the extra players on the PS that "some" of those slots could now be

used for the 2nd tier guys.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, NewEra said:

Sounds crazy, and they were discussing this point on NFLR, but after thinking about it, the most important positions are ones the most difficult to fill that have a singular purpose.  So unless you have Morse learn to long snap (unless he already does know), we would need a back up long snapper, kicker, punter, and QB.  RB, WR, and O Lineman can be replaced, but unless you can cross train guys, you’d need a back up for the niche jobs.  I seriously doubt they make it more restrictive from other teams to pick up.  The reasoning is what if a long snapper tests positive for COVID-19 on Saturday, the day before a game.  The NFL will want it to be easy to plug in spots quickly.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Sounds crazy, and they were discussing this point on NFLR, but after thinking about it, the most important positions are ones the most difficult to fill that have a singular purpose.  So unless you have Morse learn to long snap (unless he already does know), we would need a back up long snapper, kicker, punter, and QB.  RB, WR, and O Lineman can be replaced, but unless you can cross train guys, you’d need a back up for the niche jobs.  I seriously doubt they make it more restrictive from other teams to pick up.  The reasoning is what if a long snapper tests positive for COVID-19 on Saturday, the day before a game.  The NFL will want it to be easy to plug in spots quickly.

Good point.  Wasn’t thinking about guys coming down with the virus on game day.  If they came down with it up to the day before, adding a punter, kicker, LSer off the streets would be fine.  If they found on on GameFly, that proposes a different problem. 

• Like (+1) 1