On This Date (06/22) Thirty-Nine Years Ago (I'm Not Kidding) ...

Gugny

46 minutes ago, Success said:

Tennis was SO fun to watch back then.  He was must-see TV.  He had great rivalries w/ Borg & Connors, too.

He turned into the sport's best commentator, too.

I was an avid tennis fan in the 80s and 90s.  Phenomenal tennis on the men's and women's side.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

same. I patterned my tennis game around him (mimicked his serve, etc.) and would always wear a bandanna out there on the courts! 

I always tried that sweet (the sweetest, ever) drop shot.  He was so fun to watch.  Masterful.

Always played with Dunlop rackets.  First the Black Max.  Then the Max 200G (which Steffi Graf also used - and she was my favorite women's player).

Edited by Gugny

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I always tried that sweet (the sweetest, ever) drop shot.  He was so fun to watch.  Masterful.

Always played with Dunlop rackets.  First the Black Max.  Then the Max 200G (which Steffi Graf also used - and she was my favorite women's player).

haha— same on both accounts. I was a “street” player (very few lessons as a kid), so most of what I learned was by watching on TV and then replicating at the park or local school courts. So, I did the same—developed a lot of touch shots, drop shots,  good net game, lobs, etc. it turned me into a pretty solid doubles player, but a not so good singles player. But my serve was and is pretty bad and inconsistent. My HS tennis coach

made me ditch the sideways looping Mac serve! 

my first few rackets too were Dunlop’s. But then I moved to the Wilson pro staff. Now I have an old man pretty basic Prince I got a few years ago. But I only hit with my kids and play seriously a handful of times each year. 

after Johnny Mac, the other player I used to try to emulate was Stefan Edberg. Really great serve and volley and finesse game. 

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

haha— same on both accounts. I was a “street” player (very few lessons as a kid), so most of what I learned was by watching on TV and then replicating at the park or local school courts. So, I did the same—developed a lot of touch shots, drop shots,  good net game, lobs, etc. it turned me into a pretty solid doubles player, but a not so good singles player. But my serve was and is pretty bad and inconsistent. My HS tennis coach

made me ditch the sideways looping Mac serve! 

my first few rackets too were Dunlop’s. But then I moved to the Wilson pro staff. Now I have an old man pretty basic Prince I got a few years ago. But I only hit with my kids and play seriously a handful of times each year. 

after Johnny Mac, the other player I used to try to emulate was Stefan Edberg. Really great serve and volley and finesse game. 

Yeah, Edberg's short game was awesome. So many great players in that era.  I never took lessons as a kid, either.  Never had enough confidence in my game to try out.  I used to hit the board at the school courts.  The coach encouraged me to try out.  I made the B team; doubles and that was it, LOL.

I haven't played in years.  Last time I did, I did something to my rotator cuff and haven't played since.  A couple years ago, my brother suggested we get out on the courts.  I bought a cheapie Head racket and a can of balls.  Bastard bailed on me and I still have yet to play.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, Gugny said:

Loved Steffi and her schnoz. Remember this?

"How much money do you have?"

1 minute ago, fl az fan said:

Loved Steffi and her schnoz. Remember this?

"How much money do you have?"

Of course!!!

Many people busted my balls over the years for finding Steffi Graf attractive.  I loved her back when she was in her prime.