LSU hit hard by the virus

Greg S

The article doesn’t say how many they have who tested positive? They chose to quarantine anyone who may have came into contact with those who tested positive. Seems like a good report to me especially with mild symptoms and no hospitalizations. Ohio state actually had no one test positive according to reports, at least at this point. The Clemson report was concerning in terms of #s, though the ability to quarantine now is easier than 2 months from now in fall practice. I’m expecting anytime a lot of testing is done there will be some positives. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The article doesn’t say how many they have who tested positive? They chose to quarantine anyone who may have came into contact with those who tested positive. Seems like a good report to me especially with mild symptoms and no hospitalizations. Ohio state actually had no one test positive according to reports, at least at this point. The Clemson report was concerning in terms of #s, though the ability to quarantine now is easier than 2 months from now in fall practice. I’m expecting anytime a lot of testing is done there will be some positives. 

The tough and complicating issue isn't dealing with those individuals who have tested positive but how you deal with those who have come in contact with those who are infected? If you have a player or two or staff member who has test positive then how many people do you quarantine because of their proximity to the rest of the team and staff? That's the challenge here. The protocol recommended by the health professionals is to quarantine everyone who has come in contact. That makes it difficult to carry on the operation. 

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The tough and complicating issue isn't dealing with those individuals who have tested positive but how you deal with those who have come in contact with those who are infected? If you have a player or two or staff member who has test positive then how many people do you quarantine because of their proximity to the rest of the team and staff? That's the challenge here. The protocol recommended by the health professionals is to quarantine everyone who has come in contact. That makes it difficult to carry on the operation. 

They are quarantining all of them now to try to get a full roster ready to practice by 8/7, the goal is to only have 2-3 guys out each week. Isolating from the overall student population when they are back to campus is going to be difficult, as will many aspects of the season. I think decisions may he made 1-2 weeks out on certain games and travel. The current worse case scenario in talking to a coach at Ohio state is that they only play a conference schedule. I think conference by conference decisions will take place due to regional nature of play and no overarching ruling body in CFB (like there is in say College b-ball). There is way too much money at stake to not play any kind of season. It’s just going to look and feel different, as will the nfl. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, YoloinOhio said:

They are quarantining all of them now to try to get a full roster ready to practice by 8/7, the goal is to only have 2-3 guys out each week. Isolating from the overall student population when they are back to campus is going to be difficult, as will many aspects of the season. I think decisions may he made 1-2 weeks out on certain games and travel. The current worse case scenario in talking to a coach at Ohio state is that they only play a conference schedule. I think conference by conference decisions will take place due to regional nature of play and no overarching ruling body in CFB (like there is in say College b-ball). There is way too much money at stake to not play any kind of season. It’s just going to look and feel different, as will the nfl. 

two import words and why coaches can’t make this decision: student athletes.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

two import words and why coaches can’t make this decision: student athletes.

I think it comes down to liability and amateurism. They aren’t getting paid and are being asked to take a risk health wise to go out and make Money for the schools. Of course they can opt out and keep scholarship but they risk losing their “spot” going forward not playing 

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They aren’t getting paid and are being asked to take a risk health wise to go out and make Money for the schools. Of course they can opt out and keep scholarship but they risk losing their “spot” going forward not playing 

If there was nothing in it for the players other than "money for the schools" Yolo, why would they worry about "losing their spot?"

C'mon, seriously. 

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

If there was nothing in it for the players other than "money for the schools" Yolo, why would they worry about "losing their spot?"

C'mon, seriously. 

I’m not sure what you mean. What I was referring to though is that outside of some of the star players who would not be impacted due to the hold they have on their playing time, others are fighting to get on the field and nail down a starting spot. So if you have an RB, for example, who opted out this year but was a favorite to land  the starting spot or just playing time in general, he could easily get jumped by another kid in his same class and if that kid plays well, he’s on the outside looking in next season.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure what you mean. What I was referring to though is that outside of some of the star players who would not be impacted due to the hold they have on their playing time, others are fighting to get on the field and nail down a starting spot. So if you have an RB, for example, who opted out this year but was a favorite to land  the starting spot or just playing time in general, he could easily get jumped by another kid in his same class and if that kid plays well, he’s on the outside looking in next season.

I see, however the kid that you described would have an interest in playing to enhance his chances of signing for millions of dollars. It also would seem to apply more to schools like the ones we are fans of. OSU doesn't have a bad player on the team. A RB there better do all he can to get on the field.

Jmo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.