Songs that wouldn't have been written/recorded in 2020

Golden Goat

1 hour ago, Bills4everNY said:

"I'd Love to Change the World" by Ten Years After

"Indian Lake" by The Cowsills

'Indigenous Lake' might work, if you can shoehorn an extra syllable into the following line of the song.  No matter what you call it, the 'war cry' from the song has to go.

Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen

...Deep in the heart of Texas
And 'round the 'Frisco Bay
All over St. Louis
And down in New Orleans
All the cats wanna dance with
Sweet Little Sixteen...

Come a Little Bit Closer - Jay and the Americans

In a little café
Just the other side of the border
She was a-sitting there a-givin' me
Looks that made my mouth water
So I started walking her way
She belonged to bad man, José...

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m going to argue with the wording of the title.

It’s one thing to say a song would not fly, but the implication is that songwriters still want to write about those things. I would suggest that in 2020 most artists would never write many of these songs in the first place. At the very least, public consumption of many of these songs would be greatly reduced making them unpublishable.

I’ll add Gary Puckett “Young Girl” to the mix… While all those ***** bags like Jeffrey Epstein may enjoy the sentiment, there is no longer a mass audience for that song in 2020. 

In that vein, I will toss in "Younger Girl" originally done by the Critters, then by The Lovin' Spoonful.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed

Turning Japanese - The Vapors (a bunch of white guys)

Rape Me - Nirvana

Rape Me is about getting used and abused by record companies

58 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Ahab the Arab (pronounced Ay-Rab) -- Ray Stevens

Ray seemed to make fun of everything and everyone, which was his style.  A few serious songs thrown in, but at least he was an equal opportunity offender.  Slack jawed yokels included.  Acceptable today? Likely not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So, I don't remember exact lyrics, but here's the back story. Restaurants/stores will sometimes have Muzak subscriptions. What happens if you don't pay your subscription or it loses the signal? It records the last half hour and just repeats it, over and over. Anyways, we were working at a Wendy's overnight and hearing the same five 50's style songs over and over. 

One of the two I remember was a guy singing about a girl, and by the lyrics, he was stalking her. All "I'm here for you, if you'd just notice me" and "I see you in the park with that guy that isn't good for you". We called that one the Stalker song

The other I remember was a girl singing about an older guy. How most people would think he was too old for her, and he was married, but she knew he was the one for her. That one we called The Pedophile song. 

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Rape Me is about getting used and abused by record companies

It's actually about rape.

"Have a Cigar" is about getting used and abused by record companies.  But "Rape Me" was written by Cobain as an anti-rape song.

It was edgy, but powerful.  Wasn't a radio hit then, and certainly wouldn't be now.  But I think it could be written and recorded today.