Does the NFL need to make any changes for a full season to be viable?

iinii

12 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I was thinking something similar but I never understood the current limits for bringing players back off IR during the season in the first place.  They are getting full pay so why have such a severe restriction to the number they can bring back and why, in your scenario,  limit it to COVID-19 cases?  Why not an IR system more like MLB?  It would give teams more options to better maintain the quality of their gameday rosters.  Just say any use of the IR means a minimum of 4 games out for whatever reason, maybe with some restrictions on practice participation and reactivate them anytime thereafter.  I do not see the problem as long as teams stay under the cap.

The reason for the current IR rules is because certain teams were stashing players on IR rather than exposing them to waivers.  The Polian/Levy Bills teams were among the most notorious abusers of IR-they would find a late round pick who they felt needed seasoning, stash him on IR for his rookie season & save a roster spot while maintaining the player.  There was an old expression "get a concussion" in the final preseason game so that the team could IR the guy.  The league felt it was unfair to the other teams that these players weren't being exposed to waivers, as all practice squad members currently are before landing a PS spot.  

48 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The reason for the current IR rules is because certain teams were stashing players on IR rather than exposing them to waivers.  The Polian/Levy Bills teams were among the most notorious abusers of IR-they would find a late round pick who they felt needed seasoning, stash him on IR for his rookie season & save a roster spot while maintaining the player.  There was an old expression "get a concussion" in the final preseason game so that the team could IR the guy.  The league felt it was unfair to the other teams that these players weren't being exposed to waivers, as all practice squad members currently are before landing a PS spot.  

This was before practice squads and salary caps.  The old term was "taxi squad" but I think current rules would penalize abuse of the system.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:01 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

“lost” a quarter of its roster? 

They must have been among the whole 13 people who have died in SC.

On a serious note.  I feel for those who have lost a loved one.

On a realistic note.  13 people out of a population of 5,149,000 is pretty insignificant.  It's cold but its reality.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, Mrbojanglezs said:

Its a little different because some people can't breathe in them, also wearing a mask is the same thing a criminal does when they loot your store.

A criminal or a peaceful protestor?

Edited by formerlyofCtown

8 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

On a realistic note.  13 people out of a population of 5,149,000 is pretty insignificant.  It's cold but its reality.

Did you just call a looter a peaceful protester?

On 6/23/2020 at 2:35 PM, iinii said:

Exactly. My doctor has as some others have said (even though it probably won't happen) "they should just expose everyone and get it over with", referring to the team. By the start of the season they would be able to play on. Though probably NOT happening intentionally because of the moral, ethical, LEGAL ramifications but it would speed up the "process". 

Barring some out of the box thinking this year could easily come with an asterisk if they get that far....

I think I'd be looking for another doctor because it hasnt been proven that it's similar to chicken pox where you can only get it once and then your immune. There are people getting it a second time so exposing all of them to it now is no guarantee they would all be good to go in the fall.

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

My google machine says 659 not 13...

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I suspect what you saw was a day where 13 people died as there have been 712 confirmed deaths in SC to date.

• Like (+1) 1

Arizona, one of the hardest hit states in the country right now, can't even get enough tests out to people who are sitting at home with bad symptoms. 

imagine if the NFL comes out and hoards millions of test kits for themselves and give a big FU to Americans who have lost loved ones to the virus who couldn't even get tested themselves 

that is a PR nightmare. the NFL is not coming back until America gets this virus under control. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think I'd be looking for another doctor because it hasnt been proven that it's similar to chicken pox where you can only get it once and then your immune. There are people getting it a second time so exposing all of them to it now is no guarantee they would all be good to go in the fall.

His response was more of a in the lab/clinical setting; you could expect only a small portion of the rats to become severely compromised. Plus I stated that this approach would probably never be tried because of the potential moral, legal, ethical ramifications due to the fact we aren’t dealing with lab rats but actual humans. But as I heard once, do you know the difference between God and doctors? ........God doesn’t think he/she/it is a doctor. 

On 6/28/2020 at 11:38 AM, apuszczalowski said:

Plus chicken pox comes back as shingles.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

There is so little chance of a NFL season at this point. Cases are on the rise in every state that has opened up. Clemson lost a quarter of its roster to Covid. Just a matter of time before significant outbreaks in NFL players occur

Sadly, I concur. 

On 6/21/2020 at 7:54 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wrong!!  Football will be played.  There will be lots of cases until there is a vaccine.  The country is just going to have to live with it and manage.  You just can't stop things because of a virus.  My son plays college ball.  He has the virus right now.  Says it isn't nearly as bad as what the media wants you to believe.  Said his worst day was like having the flu.  Granted he is 20 and strong as an ox.  But he did not have any respiratory symptoms.  He told me he could work out right now, but has to quarantine for 6 more days.  Lots of guys are going to get it.  They need to quarantine, get well, and get out there and play ball.  Clemson didn't lose a qtr of their roster.  They are sick.  They will all likely be well in about 2 weeks or less.  Stop acting like a scared B word.  Between the Covid and the protestors (and btw I drove by today where the Wendy's in Atlanta was burned down last Sat Nite. because I had to get my step son's car out of impound, and it is one of the worst neighborhood's you could ever imagine.  The entire area should be burned to the ground)  I just want to scream WTF is wrong w the United States of America??!!  

Point A - the covid 19 virus affects people differently.

Point B - there are some indications that even people who are "asymptomatic" are/can be affected long term.

Point C - young people spreading the virus to other people who may be more vulnerable is the major concern.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, Doc Brown said:

Masks help slightly but social distancing is still way more important.  Masks can give people a false sense of security negating their benefits.

How do masks "give people a false sense of security"?   IMO, wearing a masks constantly reminds you of the other things that you should be doing to stay safe -- social distancing, washing your hands, staying out of crowded indoor places.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:52 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

NFL players generally have none of the conditions that make them likely to have a big reaction to COVID. The NFL will play this fall unless some of the states make it impossible for them.

Most teams if not all have coaches and other staff who are older and may have underlying health conditions.  Furthermore, unless players are quarantined from their families for the season, they can very well spread the virus to their parents, grandparents, and pregnant wives or girlfriends.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Young healthy people die from the flu also, in 2011 I knew two people under 50 who died from H1N1, but once again you must look at the odds of serious infection. While you are correct that we don't know how individuals will react we do now have a good understanding of the high risk factors. If all of the soccer world can come back as they have then our NFL will come back. Lastly do you actually believe an NFL player is in more  danger from Corona then getting hit the way they do each weekend? 

What about their coaches?  their parents?  their grandparents?  their pregnant wives?  their children who may have underlying health conditions like asthma?

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Plus chicken pox comes back as shingles.

At least there's a vaccine for that, although there are numerous individuals who are too stupid to get it.

- 10 Game Season

- 2 Games per month every other week

- Season goes starts September 13  through January 17

- Playoffs in February 2/7 and 2/21

- “Super Bowl” in March On March 7th

- Playoffs consist of 4 teams each conference.  3 Division Winners and 1 Wild Card
- No Fans in Stadium

if were in charge lol

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

How do masks "give people a false sense of security"?   IMO, wearing a masks constantly reminds you of the other things that you should be doing to stay safe -- social distancing, washing your hands, staying out of crowded indoor places.

To most people..yes.  Definitely wear masks but I've seen some people ignore all the other safety factors because they feel "secure" with the cloth across their face.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

- 10 Game Season

- 2 Games per month every other week

- Season goes starts September 13  through January 17

- Playoffs in February 2/7 and 2/21

- “Super Bowl” in March On March 7th

- Playoffs consist of 4 teams each conference.  3 Division Winners and 1 Wild Card
- No Fans in Stadium

if were in charge lol

While no one wants this, it may be a real and genuine idea with merit! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/23/2020 at 12:05 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

The problem is, you can’t say that for sure. I know you can’t say that for sure because every researcher doesn’t even know. They simply do not know why some people have a big reaction and others don’t. And they don’t know how to prevent it. Basically, at this point it’s up to your body to determine how it reacts to COVID. Some people have a mild reaction and some have a reaction requiring hospitalization. Health and age are factors for sure, but young and healthy people can also get severe cases. It’s a lot more rare than the elderly, but it happens. So what happens when one NFL player gets a severe case, gets put on a ventilator, and dies? Is that a chance worth taking? These guys travel too much and there are too many local and out of state people that travel between broadcasters, crew, officials, players. It might just be too much to control. 

I get your point, but playing is their job and livelihood. What about all the other people who can’t just quit their jobs because going to work puts them and their family in danger ? Most people don’t have the luxury of a union that might say, “ it’s too dangerous to work let’s not do it”, and the luxury of NFL salaries. Everyone who leaves their home is in danger of getting the virus at this point, not just athletes. It’s their job, and it’s no different than the guy who has to work the fast food drive thru, or anything else we technically don’t need to survive. Maybe I’ve just given up on this virus. It all feels very defeating imo, why cancel the NFL when it feels inevitable that the majority of us will get the virus before a vaccine anyway. Sorry, but that’s my logic. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I get your point, but playing is their job and livelihood. What about all the other people who can’t just quit their jobs because going to work puts them and their family in danger ? Most people don’t have the luxury of a union that might say, “ it’s too dangerous to work let’s not do it”, and the luxury of NFL salaries. Everyone who leaves their home is in danger of getting the virus at this point, not just athletes. It’s their job, and it’s no different than the guy who has to work the fast food drive thru, or anything else we technically don’t need to survive. Maybe I’ve just given up on this virus. It all feels very defeating imo, why cancel the NFL when it feels inevitable that the majority of us will get the virus before a vaccine anyway. Sorry, but that’s my logic. 

You are not wrong, but you also answered the question yourself. They have the luxury of getting paid millions to play a game, so if they decide they can sit at home and not play said game, that’s on them and the union. It’s the same as a fast food place, they have the option not to do it, they just likely don’t have the money saved to do so. Just because one group has to risk everything doesn’t mean everyone has to risk everything. If I had millions of dollars I’m not sure I’d be hoping to have a season. One more year of wear and tear on my body and possibly some additional risks. As a fan I’m absolutely hoping enough of them don’t want to forego millions in salary this year. I think the bigger push will be from the owners. They have a huge money making opportunity. Everyone is super hungry for the escape of football with everything that’s going on. I think a lot of people have given up with this virus. That’s why we are seeing the massive spikes down south. I also don’t know the likelihood of a vaccine even working. But we can cross that bridge when it comes. Until then we can limp to the end of the year with a light at the end of the tunnel being about 100 million doses of the vaccine. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

You are not wrong, but you also answered the question yourself. They have the luxury of getting paid millions to play a game, so if they decide they can sit at home and not play said game, that’s on them and the union. It’s the same as a fast food place, they have the option not to do it, they just likely don’t have the money saved to do so. Just because one group has to risk everything doesn’t mean everyone has to risk everything. If I had millions of dollars I’m not sure I’d be hoping to have a season. One more year of wear and tear on my body and possibly some additional risks. As a fan I’m absolutely hoping enough of them don’t want to forego millions in salary this year. I think the bigger push will be from the owners. They have a huge money making opportunity. Everyone is super hungry for the escape of football with everything that’s going on. I think a lot of people have given up with this virus. That’s why we are seeing the massive spikes down south. I also don’t know the likelihood of a vaccine even working. But we can cross that bridge when it comes. Until then we can limp to the end of the year with a light at the end of the tunnel being about 100 million doses of the vaccine. 

Yep, the owners will definitely be the ones pushing for a season. I get your point, if you have millions in the bank, why not sit out while the virus is around. However,  the majority of people don’t have the ability to tell their employer, “ I’m afraid of the virus, let me sit out for a year, and I’ll be back next year”. Regardless of what you have in the bank, you’d no longer have a job. It’s only football, it’s not that big of a deal, but it could be one of those circumstances that leaves fans feeling a bit jaded if players really did refuse to play. It’d be another example of how pro athletes live in their own little world. 

Personally, I think most players will want to play. It’s what they do, and guys that age don’t have a whole lot of fear, no matter how warranted. My comments were mostly intended for the crowd who consistently mentions, “ what about their families, pregnant wives, and grandparents”. I understand the point, but I don’t see anyone worrying about the other millions of other Americans out there working. I mean, there’s pregnant women working the front lines with Covid patients, and no one is stopping them from doing it. It makes any outrage over the “greedy owners” wanting to force the players to play a bit over the top. These guys are compensated nicely, and would be asked to return to work, just as you’d expect an owner to ask of his employees. 

Edited by SirAndrew