Does the NFL need to make any changes for a full season to be viable?

iinii

3 hours ago, SDS said:

[This is an automated response]

The topic title needs some TLC... It is too generic. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

What would be more appropriate? Maybe an if/else statement?

Edited by iinii

On 6/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

There is so little chance of a NFL season at this point. Cases are on the rise in every state that has opened up. Clemson lost a quarter of its roster to Covid. Just a matter of time before significant outbreaks in NFL players occur

NFL players generally have none of the conditions that make them likely to have a big reaction to COVID. The NFL will play this fall unless some of the states make it impossible for them.

46 minutes ago, iinii said:

What would be more appropriate? Maybe an if/else statement?

What if......it doesn’t happen? Not commenting about the title as much as my concern that has been growing with every week. 

I do not have a good feeling about this. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I frankly dont see businesses especially requiring masks be worn any different than requiring shirt/shoes for service. 

Its a little different because some people can't breathe in them, also wearing a mask is the same thing a criminal does when they loot your store.

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Its a little different because some people can't breathe in them, also wearing a mask is the same thing a criminal does when they loot your store.

I get that. But in a society we all have to look out for each other, its sort of the contract involved in living in a community. There are many options available right now if you do not want to wear a mask. Between instacart and food delivery and the internet, there is honestly no need to go to a store at all if you don't want to wear a mask. IMO people pushing their way into Walmart for their "freedom and liberty" are just being childish babies

You want things to go back to normal? Wear the damn mask or have ***** delivered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Augie said:

What if......it doesn’t happen? Not commenting about the title as much as my concern that has been growing with every week. 

I do not have a good feeling about this. 

It is definitely a concern for some (myself included), while others seem to believe that this will be basically business as usual (this is the least likely scenario imo). Football is not a sport that has any aspect of social distancing; so barring a virtual miracle and not over Zoom, there will be outbreaks. It would seem to me that position groups could easily be the weak link of this charade. Sometime between the injury report and the walk thru on Saturday; 4/5ths of your starting Oline tests positive. What are teams going to do then? But more importantly what could teams do now to help mitigate this possibility? 

They can play without fans but not without enough healthy players.  There are enough undrafted  players to fill in like in the strike season. Only time will tell , keep 2 back up QBs isolated . 

If there is no NFL season, what does that do for High School Football? It actually seems more likely that NY can have high school sports than pro sports this year. New York’s cases remain in check and on the decline. Phase 4 is approaching and should well be here before a lot of high schools would even start practicing. I imagine there would be a bit of an uptick in media coverage and local interest if it is the only football around in the fall. 

39 minutes ago, ALF said:

They can play without fans but not without enough healthy players.  There are enough undrafted  players to fill in like in the strike season. Only time will tell , keep 2 back up QBs isolated . 

Is that really even a season worth playing though? So we want to see Josh Allen get pummeled because 4/5 of his starting line were UDFA signed that week? 

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

NFL players generally have none of the conditions that make them likely to have a big reaction to COVID. The NFL will play this fall unless some of the states make it impossible for them.

The problem is, you can’t say that for sure. I know you can’t say that for sure because every researcher doesn’t even know. They simply do not know why some people have a big reaction and others don’t. And they don’t know how to prevent it. Basically, at this point it’s up to your body to determine how it reacts to COVID. Some people have a mild reaction and some have a reaction requiring hospitalization. Health and age are factors for sure, but young and healthy people can also get severe cases. It’s a lot more rare than the elderly, but it happens. So what happens when one NFL player gets a severe case, gets put on a ventilator, and dies? Is that a chance worth taking? These guys travel too much and there are too many local and out of state people that travel between broadcasters, crew, officials, players. It might just be too much to control. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The problem is, you can’t say that for sure. I know you can’t say that for sure because every researcher doesn’t even know. They simply do not know why some people have a big reaction and others don’t. And they don’t know how to prevent it. Basically, at this point it’s up to your body to determine how it reacts to COVID. Some people have a mild reaction and some have a reaction requiring hospitalization. Health and age are factors for sure, but young and healthy people can also get severe cases. It’s a lot more rare than the elderly, but it happens. So what happens when one NFL player gets a severe case, gets put on a ventilator, and dies? Is that a chance worth taking? These guys travel too much and there are too many local and out of state people that travel between broadcasters, crew, officials, players. It might just be too much to control. 

Young healthy people die from the flu also, in 2011 I knew two people under 50 who died from H1N1, but once again you must look at the odds of serious infection. While you are correct that we don't know how individuals will react we do now have a good understanding of the high risk factors. If all of the soccer world can come back as they have then our NFL will come back. Lastly do you actually believe an NFL player is in more  danger from Corona then getting hit the way they do each weekend? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Is that really even a season worth playing though? So we want to see Josh Allen get pummeled because 4/5 of his starting line were UDFA signed that week? 

The NFL used replacement players for the 1987 season short strike to get TV revenue and fans attend.If most of the starting OL were out no way would I risk Allen , use a backup. I think the season would be canceled at that point.

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Exactly. My doctor has as some others have said (even though it probably won't happen) "they should just expose everyone and get it over with", referring to the team. By the start of the season they would be able to play on. Though probably NOT happening intentionally because of the moral, ethical, LEGAL ramifications but it would speed up the "process". 

Barring some out of the box thinking this year could easily come with an asterisk if they get that far....

On 6/21/2020 at 3:32 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

If they want to play the season with the virus continuing, they're going to have to treat the virus like an injury, with one change.  They will have to change IR rules so that a player can be put on Covid-IR where they can return when healthy & be able to sign a replacement player.  It will truly be survival of the fittest, but most NFL seasons come down to that.  

I see teams losing players to Covid-IR similar to the 2019 Jets season.  When Darnold & then Simien went down, their season was shot, but they still had to play their games with whatever QB they could find on the streets.  Lots of free agents in & out every week but seriously, as long as there is 100% survival rate among the players & coaches, the season will go on. 

I agree with this. I think COVID is something that we are going to have to deal with for quite sometime. Not much is known about antibodies yet. Some studies have shown that the antibodies may only last a couple of months. Maybe a cure all vaccine is found and maybe COVID is treated like the Flu getting yearly shots. 

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If there is no NFL season, what does that do for High School Football? It actually seems more likely that NY can have high school sports than pro sports this year. New York’s cases remain in check and on the decline. Phase 4 is approaching and should well be here before a lot of high schools would even start practicing. I imagine there would be a bit of an uptick in media coverage and local interest if it is the only football around in the fall. 

Well if the pummelers are also UDFAs it seems fair or is this is only going to happen to Bills who probably have more depth on OL than most teams?

26 minutes ago, iinii said:

Exactly. My doctor has as some others have said (even though it probably won't happen) "they should just expose everyone and get it over with", referring to the team. By the start of the season they would be able to play on. Though probably NOT happening intentionally because of the moral, ethical, LEGAL ramifications but it would speed up the "process". 

Barring some out of the box thinking this year could easily come with an asterisk if they get that far....

They tried to expose team to infection in Florida and get it over with.  We will see if the mental illness from AB is contagious.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They tried to expose team to infection in Florida and get it over with.  We will see if the mental illness from AB is contagious.

Would you expose yourself to AB to play?

On 6/21/2020 at 6:32 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

If they want to play the season with the virus continuing, they're going to have to treat the virus like an injury, with one change.  They will have to change IR rules so that a player can be put on Covid-IR where they can return when healthy & be able to sign a replacement player.  It will truly be survival of the fittest, but most NFL seasons come down to that.  

I see teams losing players to Covid-IR similar to the 2019 Jets season.  When Darnold & then Simien went down, their season was shot, but they still had to play their games with whatever QB they could find on the streets.  Lots of free agents in & out every week but seriously, as long as there is 100% survival rate among the players & coaches, the season will go on. 

I was thinking something similar but I never understood the current limits for bringing players back off IR during the season in the first place.  They are getting full pay so why have such a severe restriction to the number they can bring back and why, in your scenario,  limit it to COVID-19 cases?  Why not an IR system more like MLB?  It would give teams more options to better maintain the quality of their gameday rosters.  Just say any use of the IR means a minimum of 4 games out for whatever reason, maybe with some restrictions on practice participation and reactivate them anytime thereafter.  I do not see the problem as long as teams stay under the cap.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:59 PM, iinii said:

The Premier League has increased roster sizes and substitutions. Should/will the NFL be forced to implement similar actions to have a full season? Something we all want.....

Are there  larger rosters/practice squads? What if a position group were to be hit extremely hard, like one of or both of the lines? The worst case scenarios are endless.

A fully quarantined QB seems like a no-brainer? Kicker? Other than everyone getting it and recovering by the middle of August which I heard posited on a podcast recently to some degree; 

what happens and why?  

I have no idea why many players on all teams will not have Covid 19 as soon as they are around each other all the time.

The virus has gone nowhere; there is nothing that makes now or the next month or 2 preferential to starting the season last March.  

These leagues want their money, and they are not going to let a global pandemic get in the way.

They will try like hell to get these leagues up and running.

On 6/22/2020 at 12:23 PM, 416BillsFan said:

All the best to your son, I hope he has a safe and painless recovery.

Thanks 416.  I spoke to him last nite and he is doing great.  Says he feels good, getting his appetite back  and is looking forward to getting out of quarantine.  

• Like (+1) 1