Does the NFL need to make any changes for a full season to be viable?

iinii

12 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wrong!!  Football will be played.  There will be lots of cases until there is a vaccine.  The country is just going to have to live with it and manage.  You just can't stop things because of a virus.  My son plays college ball.  He has the virus right now.  Says it isn't nearly as bad as what the media wants you to believe.  Said his worst day was like having the flu.  Granted he is 20 and strong as an ox.  But he did not have any respiratory symptoms.  He told me he could work out right now, but has to quarantine for 6 more days.  Lots of guys are going to get it.  They need to quarantine, get well, and get out there and play ball.  Clemson didn't lose a qtr of their roster.  They are sick.  They will all likely be well in about 2 weeks or less.  Stop acting like a scared B word.  Between the Covid and the protestors (and btw I drove by today where the Wendy's in Atlanta was burned down last Sat Nite. because I had to get my step son's car out of impound, and it is one of the worst neighborhood's you could ever imagine.  The entire area should be burned to the ground)  I just want to scream WTF is wrong w the United States of America??!!  

Your insights on the virus are headed in the right direction.  The thing most people don't seem to understand is the risk of getting infected is distributed fairly evenly across the population but the risks of getting severely sick or dying are not.  The risks of a severe case or dying are generally concentrated in older people and those that have conditions that impact their immune systems ability to fight the virus.  This leads to a serious immune system response called 'cytokine storm'.  This is why the virus is dangerous.   Do we see cases of "healthy" young people getting very sick?  Yes we do but its a rare situation and it's possible they have some undiagnosed condition they're not aware of. 

The key thing going forward is clearly identifying "high risk" individuals and taking actions to protect them or at least minimize their risk of getting infected.  And better treatments and testing which are coming soon.  A vaccine?  I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

There's going to be football this fall.  It might require some adjustments but the season will happen.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Why not just start the season a month or two later and go into March with the Super Bowl 

Because it wont just be better because its October instead of September. We are averaging a 9/11 death toll every 3 days. This isnt a joke and it needs to be taken very seriously. 

The more news that comes out with hot spots and players in college getting sick makes me think its less and less likely the season happens at all. That absolutely sucks, but I'm preparing myself for that reality the farther into the summer we get

16 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wrong!!  Football will be played.  There will be lots of cases until there is a vaccine.  The country is just going to have to live with it and manage.  You just can't stop things because of a virus.  My son plays college ball.  He has the virus right now.  Says it isn't nearly as bad as what the media wants you to believe.  Said his worst day was like having the flu.  Granted he is 20 and strong as an ox.  But he did not have any respiratory symptoms.  He told me he could work out right now, but has to quarantine for 6 more days.  Lots of guys are going to get it.  They need to quarantine, get well, and get out there and play ball.  Clemson didn't lose a qtr of their roster.  They are sick.  They will all likely be well in about 2 weeks or less.  Stop acting like a scared B word.  Between the Covid and the protestors (and btw I drove by today where the Wendy's in Atlanta was burned down last Sat Nite. because I had to get my step son's car out of impound, and it is one of the worst neighborhood's you could ever imagine.  The entire area should be burned to the ground)  I just want to scream WTF is wrong w the United States of America??!!  

All the best to your son, I hope he has a safe and painless recovery.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is so little chance of a NFL season at this point. Cases are on the rise in every state that has opened up. Clemson lost a quarter of its roster to Covid. Just a matter of time before significant outbreaks in NFL players occur

“lost” a quarter of its roster? 

22 hours ago, wppete said:

EWQEoX1WAAEdvtT?format=jpg&name=small

I am definitely not a believer in big government and them mandating us to do anything but masking must be helping as the numbers keep going down in NY where Florida and Texas they are going up as they are not requiring masks

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, iinii said:

The Premier League has increased roster sizes and substitutions. Should/will the NFL be forced to implement similar actions to have a full season? Something we all want.....

Are there  larger rosters/practice squads? What if a position group were to be hit extremely hard, like one of or both of the lines? The worst case scenarios are endless.

A fully quarantined QB seems like a no-brainer? Kicker? Other than everyone getting it and recovering by the middle of August which I heard posited on a podcast recently to some degree; 

what happens and why?  

Kickers are already routinely isolated.

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

“lost” a quarter of its roster? 

Maybe he meant in the Draft.

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I am definitely not a believer in big government and them mandating us to do anything but masking must be helping as the numbers keep going down in NY where Florida and Texas they are going up as they are not requiring masks

I frankly dont see businesses especially requiring masks be worn any different than requiring shirt/shoes for service. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Your insights on the virus are headed in the right direction.  The thing most people don't seem to understand is the risk of getting infected is distributed fairly evenly across the population but the risks of getting severely sick or dying are not.  The risks of a severe case or dying are generally concentrated in older people and those that have conditions that impact their immune systems ability to fight the virus.  This leads to a serious immune system response called 'cytokine storm'.  This is why the virus is dangerous.   Do we see cases of "healthy" young people getting very sick?  Yes we do but its a rare situation and it's possible they have some undiagnosed condition they're not aware of. 

The key thing going forward is clearly identifying "high risk" individuals and taking actions to protect them or at least minimize their risk of getting infected.  And better treatments and testing which are coming soon.  A vaccine?  I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

There's going to be football this fall.  It might require some adjustments but the season will happen.  

And that is the essence of my post. What adjustments do you see in your crystal ball?

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Masks help slightly but social distancing is still way more important.  Masks can give people a false sense of security negating their benefits.

20 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Mark my words, not one NFL player will die from the Covid virus, less than the flu to guys their age and in shape. We don't end the NFL season for the Flu or even in 2008-2009 with Covid Sars 1 virus we had

Just now, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

Mark my words, not one NFL player will die from the Covid virus, less than the flu to guys their age and in shape. We don't end the NFL season for the Flu or even in 2008-2009 with Covid Sars 1 virus we had

What about coaches for example? Belichick is 68. Andy Reid is 62 and fairly obese. They could be at high risk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1