Does the NFL need to make any changes for a full season to be viable?

iinii

The Premier League has increased roster sizes and substitutions. Should/will the NFL be forced to implement similar actions to have a full season? Something we all want.....

Are there  larger rosters/practice squads? What if a position group were to be hit extremely hard, like one of or both of the lines? The worst case scenarios are endless.

A fully quarantined QB seems like a no-brainer? Kicker? Other than everyone getting it and recovering by the middle of August which I heard posited on a podcast recently to some degree; 

what happens and why?  

Edited by iinii

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think he meant you can’t pull the wool over his eyes. 

Somebody’s pullin something...,

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think he meant you can’t pull the wool over his eyes. 

Oh.... I wasn’t sure. I couldn’t tell if those were the players or the fans.

25 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

:wub:

You must be self quarantining..

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Somebody’s pullin something...,

57 minutes ago, iinii said:

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is Kraft involved again? 

I do not see this ending well. 

At all. 

I was already sore from my Taysom Hill Fat Head but then somebody had to go and post him as a woman... Now I'm trying to soothe my hands and other areas with aloe vera... but then that just leads to another vicous circle:cry: 

Damn you QB as women thread!!! I was so excited I didnt even get in...

57 minutes ago, iinii said:

No, I have an angry wife on my hands:unsure:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/19/report-mlb-considering-shutting-down-all-30-spring-training-sites/

Every day the news gets worse... Unless the NBA players can be "bubbled/isolated" I am very pessimistic that there will be pro sports anytime soon. You would have thought that MLB would have the best chance of preventing the spread of Covid-19 among their ranks. And with over 20 states that being swamped with cases now I don't see any "good news" coming together soon...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

One of the things they've talked about is increasing the size of PS.  I don't see that being all that helpful if its the normal rules where everyone is exposed to waivers.  Teams typically lose some of the players they cut to other teams and then sign other teams players to PS.  This year with no spring mini camps, can't see that expanding the PS with players unfamiliar with the playbook and teammates is going to be all that helpful.  They need some new category where you can send half dozen players to PS without waiver exposure and no chance of losing them.  In exchange, this group gets a higher base salary or something.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One of the things they've talked about is increasing the size of PS.  I don't see that being all that helpful if its the normal rules where everyone is exposed to waivers.  Teams typically lose some of the players they cut to other teams and then sign other teams players to PS.  This year with no spring mini camps, can't see that expanding the PS with players unfamiliar with the playbook and teammates is going to be all that helpful.  They need some new category where you can send half dozen players to PS without waiver exposure and no chance of losing them.  In exchange, this group gets a higher base salary or something.

I think this is one way to potentially salvage the season. I agree with many who are pessimistic this season produces a legit Champ; or even gets to that snafu. But given the amount of money involved, you know the NFL is looking at options. 

If they want to play the season with the virus continuing, they're going to have to treat the virus like an injury, with one change.  They will have to change IR rules so that a player can be put on Covid-IR where they can return when healthy & be able to sign a replacement player.  It will truly be survival of the fittest, but most NFL seasons come down to that.  

I see teams losing players to Covid-IR similar to the 2019 Jets season.  When Darnold & then Simien went down, their season was shot, but they still had to play their games with whatever QB they could find on the streets.  Lots of free agents in & out every week but seriously, as long as there is 100% survival rate among the players & coaches, the season will go on. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

If they want to play the season with the virus continuing, they're going to have to treat the virus like an injury, with one change.  They will have to change IR rules so that a player can be put on Covid-IR where they can return when healthy & be able to sign a replacement player.  It will truly be survival of the fittest, but most NFL seasons come down to that.  

I see teams losing players to Covid-IR similar to the 2019 Jets season.  When Darnold & then Simien went down, their season was shot, but they still had to play their games with whatever QB they could find on the streets.  Lots of free agents in & out every week but seriously, as long as there is 100% survival rate among the players & coaches, the season will go on. 

I love football, but I think this would absolutely suck.

16 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

But the one big difference here is if one player gets injured, another can't catch it from him.  Here they can.

I realize it's the same for all teams, but still would suck if you're the team that gets hit the hardest.

Belichick is probably scouring hospital records to find positive people that he can send an "advance team" out each week to the Pat's next opponent!  He'll fly them in on Kraft's jet  with promises that Kraft will supply the in-flight entertainment!

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is so little chance of a NFL season at this point. Cases are on the rise in every state that has opened up. Clemson lost a quarter of its roster to Covid. Just a matter of time before significant outbreaks in NFL players occur

Wrong!!  Football will be played.  There will be lots of cases until there is a vaccine.  The country is just going to have to live with it and manage.  You just can't stop things because of a virus.  My son plays college ball.  He has the virus right now.  Says it isn't nearly as bad as what the media wants you to believe.  Said his worst day was like having the flu.  Granted he is 20 and strong as an ox.  But he did not have any respiratory symptoms.  He told me he could work out right now, but has to quarantine for 6 more days.  Lots of guys are going to get it.  They need to quarantine, get well, and get out there and play ball.  Clemson didn't lose a qtr of their roster.  They are sick.  They will all likely be well in about 2 weeks or less.  Stop acting like a scared B word.  Between the Covid and the protestors (and btw I drove by today where the Wendy's in Atlanta was burned down last Sat Nite. because I had to get my step son's car out of impound, and it is one of the worst neighborhood's you could ever imagine.  The entire area should be burned to the ground)  I just want to scream WTF is wrong w the United States of America??!!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1