The weakness of Coach McD

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Haha It’s not a “mathematical formula”, it’s pretty simple common sense. Even basketball teams with big leads will do the 2 for 1 because it’s such a fundamental part of the game. 

I would rather have a turnover or 3 and out than willfully give up a possession in a game before it’s over. Not only is it stupid but it’s cowardly.

I thought it was hilarious when McDermott just wanted to run the clock out at the half of a game and singletary ripped off a big gain, ruining his plans. I could envision him saying “ok guys you can try but only a field goal then let’s go inside”

The 2 for 1 is built on around the idea that, regardless of the first possession's outcome, both teams are each left with one more possession.  The success of that first possession does not impact the outcome of either teams subsequent possessions. 

The same is not true in football where, if you have a turnover, you create a possession for the opposing team that they would not otherwise have, thereby increasing their chance to score.  The logic of going for the score only makes sense if you are relying on the analytics, without any consideration of the context of the game. 

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

I have no doubt he considers all those things. He just makes the wrong decision repeatedly. 

I can’t shake the comparison to basketball. Like I said before, it would be laughable if a basketball coach at any level repeatedly gave up possessions and cited any of those reasons. Not sure why football coaches get away with it. It’s probably more likely to turn the ball over in basketball. 

I cannot express just how stupid this basketball comparison is. 

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

I have no doubt he considers all those things. He just makes the wrong decision repeatedly. 

I can’t shake the comparison to basketball. Like I said before, it would be laughable if a basketball coach at any level repeatedly gave up possessions and cited any of those reasons. Not sure why football coaches get away with it. It’s probably more likely to turn the ball over in basketball. 

The fact that you cant get away from basketball means you don't really understand rational, statistical analysis.  Scores are much more important in football, and that cuts both ways. Sure you'd love to score at the end if the half, but it can be a killer if you give up a score.  

The risk reward is much different in hoops.  There's no risk in the two for one.  The choice is either you get one chance to score and they get one, or you get two and they get one. There's no downside to that decision.  Two is better than one. 

The risk of throwing the football in your end of the field with 40 seconds left is completely different. 

You dont seem to be able to see that. 

Whoops.  Just saw someone else already explained this. 

Edited by Shaw66

14 hours ago, eball said:

Just two years ago the Pats*** beat the Rams with defense.

When is Gase going to be fired?

And how have the Bills/Jets done with consistently good defenses and bottom 5 offenses this decade? How many playoff victories between them? 

On 6/21/2020 at 9:59 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

I am a huge fan of Coach McD and believe Bills are lucky to have him. He does almost all the important things right. But there is one area that he needs to improve on, his biggest weakness, game management. Specifically the offensive philosophy when taking a lead in a big game. He goes hyper conservative. The playoff game v Houston for example. Bills with a 16-0 lead, produce a turnover in Houston territory. Great chance to put the game away. What is play call - three straight runs, including a run play on third & 3. Unsuccessful, forced to punt. One great indicator of a too conservative offense is when a team loses a game in which they won the turnover battle. The second New England game is another great example. Bills down early, come roaring back to take a 17-13 lead, and force a 3 & out. Bills get the ball, predictable as the sun rising in the East, run three straight times and punt. You can’t beat elite teams with that mentality. This was another game where Bills win turnover battle, but lose the game.

This has been a huge reason why we have been so unsuccessful v Patriots. Going back to Saint Doug, then Rex, and now McD, the same mentality has been employed. Take a lead or tie the game, and the offense goes into a shell. And Belichek knows this, when this situation arises in a game, he loads the front anticipating the run. And the Bills (unsuccessfully) run anyway, giving Brady the ball and the time to win the game. McD needs to change his mentality in order for the Bills to win playoff games. And please, don’t tell me that it’s the OC calling the plays. The head coach has a great amount of input, during the game, as to what TYPE of plays he wants called in various phases of the game. Again, big McD fan here, and he gets almost everything else right, an that’s no small feat.

Does "all the important things right" except coach the team during football games.  

LOL.  

He's a .500 coach with horrible in-game management skills and a worse challenge record.  Horrific clock management.  

I feel he is a good motivator and keeps the team fired up through the course of the season, but is otherwise nothing special as a HC.  

He will have trouble once he is asked to do more than he has done, and as expectations increase.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, Just Joshin' said:

If Atlanta was more conservative they would be NFL champs.  It is easy in retrospect to say yes/no but both approaches can work.  Even if a low probability it will sometimes hit.

it would be interesting to see a large sample size on the strategies to see the historical results.  The problem with football is the amount of variables.  What works against one defense may not work against another in same down/distance/field position.

I think the issue is that McD is always conservative.  there is no variety or toying with the other teams.   with the passing weapons we have we should pass sometimes on 3rd and less than 5.  

22 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think the issue is that McD is always conservative.  there is no variety or toying with the other teams.   with the passing weapons we have we should pass sometimes on 3rd and less than 5.  

What a Trumpian statement — as in, not at all true but I’ll say it with conviction because some dumbasses will believe it. 

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Does "all the important things right" except coach the team during football games.  

LOL.  

He's a .500 coach with horrible in-game management skills and a worse challenge record.  Horrific clock management.  

I feel he is a good motivator and keeps the team fired up through the course of the season, but is otherwise nothing special as a HC.  

He will have trouble once he is asked to do more than he has done, and as expectations increase.

Its hard to believe there are people out there that care so much about football that they take the time to post on a message board, but can simultaneously just so fundamentally have no idea what a head coach does, why McD is a very good coach, and think that getting a team with a 17 year playoff drought to the playoffs in two of his first three years is a, frankly, historic accomplishment. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bb in his nfl show mentioned how he uses the art of war in his coaching and finding every opponents weakness and just hammering that.  Vrabel seems to prescribe to that way of coaching.  Vrabel just running it down the pats throat all game proved that for me. Do you think Mcd would put a plan like that together?