The weakness of Coach McD

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Is it McD or Daboll?  And shouldn't they be giving Josh the ability to audible out of a run if they're stacking the box?

wouldn’t all of those be McD, ultimately? 

sure on a micro level any single call isn’t but overall strategy and how long of a leash the qb gets are both a reflection on the HC 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Losing when you win the turnover battle isn't the indicator of a too conservative offense. It can mean a bunch of different things ... poor defense, poor offense, bad luck, too may penalties and on and on. But if it does come down to the offense it's not so much about a too conservative offense as it is an unsuccessful offense.

And plenty of teams beat elite teams by running when they have the lead and the ball late in the game. You just have to do it successfully and probably have the rest of your team stand up as well.

He's a bit conservative for me too, but was that about belief in the defense, no faith in the pass game, was it a career-long hallmark or was it due to his belief about what he had to do with that particular team in those particular circumstances? We don't know yet.

I agree with this. McDermott studies everything, I clouding the strategies that will maximize winning in different circumstances. That study is what informs his decision making.  When he has a lead in the third quarter and gets conservative it's because his study indicates being conservative is the right move. His team hasn't executed.  

I also agree that it's too conservative for my taste, but McD knows a lot more about it than I do.  

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this. McDermott studies everything, I clouding the strategies that will maximize winning in different circumstances. That study is what informs his decision making.  When he has a lead in the third quarter and gets conservative it's because his study indicates being conservative is the right move. His team hasn't executed.  

I also agree that it's too conservative for my taste, but McD knows a lot more about it than I do.  

This approach may work better this year. Singletary and Moss>>> Singletary and Gore

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I am a huge fan of Coach McD and believe Bills are lucky to have him. He does almost all the important things right. But there is one area that he needs to improve on, his biggest weakness, game management. Specifically the offensive philosophy when taking a lead in a big game. He goes hyper conservative. The playoff game v Houston for example. Bills with a 16-0 lead, produce a turnover in Houston territory. Great chance to put the game away. What is play call - three straight runs, including a run play on third & 3. Unsuccessful, forced to punt. One great indicator of a too conservative offense is when a team loses a game in which they won the turnover battle. The second New England game is another great example. Bills down early, come roaring back to take a 17-13 lead, and force a 3 & out. Bills get the ball, predictable as the sun rising in the East, run three straight times and punt. You can’t beat elite teams with that mentality. This was another game where Bills win turnover battle, but lose the game.

This has been a huge reason why we have been so unsuccessful v Patriots. Going back to Saint Doug, then Rex, and now McD, the same mentality has been employed. Take a lead or tie the game, and the offense goes into a shell. And Belichek knows this, when this situation arises in a game, he loads the front anticipating the run. And the Bills (unsuccessfully) run anyway, giving Brady the ball and the time to win the game. McD needs to change his mentality in order for the Bills to win playoff games. And please, don’t tell me that it’s the OC calling the plays. The head coach has a great amount of input, during the game, as to what TYPE of plays he wants called in various phases of the game. Again, big McD fan here, and he gets almost everything else right, an that’s no small feat.

I don’t disagree in general with what you’re saying , but the Houston or any other game when you are up by 16 points the plan is use the clock don’t turn the ball over and let your defense close the game for you ,, 

Edited by Putin

Plays to be made on both sides of the ball.  JB's messed up footwork at the sideline, Duke not securing the difficult catch in the end zone, missed block on JA's OT QB sweep (he might have scored) bogus PF on Cody, LB's dropped too deep on a 3rd and 17 in OT, two missed tackles on Watson's OT game deciding play.  These were all big failures not on the coaching imo and I probably missed some others.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I am a huge fan of Coach McD and believe Bills are lucky to have him. He does almost all the important things right. But there is one area that he needs to improve on, his biggest weakness, game management. Specifically the offensive philosophy when taking a lead in a big game. He goes hyper conservative. The playoff game v Houston for example. Bills with a 16-0 lead, produce a turnover in Houston territory. Great chance to put the game away. What is play call - three straight runs, including a run play on third & 3. Unsuccessful, forced to punt. One great indicator of a too conservative offense is when a team loses a game in which they won the turnover battle. The second New England game is another great example. Bills down early, come roaring back to take a 17-13 lead, and force a 3 & out. Bills get the ball, predictable as the sun rising in the East, run three straight times and punt. You can’t beat elite teams with that mentality. This was another game where Bills win turnover battle, but lose the game.

This has been a huge reason why we have been so unsuccessful v Patriots. Going back to Saint Doug, then Rex, and now McD, the same mentality has been employed. Take a lead or tie the game, and the offense goes into a shell. And Belichek knows this, when this situation arises in a game, he loads the front anticipating the run. And the Bills (unsuccessfully) run anyway, giving Brady the ball and the time to win the game. McD needs to change his mentality in order for the Bills to win playoff games. And please, don’t tell me that it’s the OC calling the plays. The head coach has a great amount of input, during the game, as to what TYPE of plays he wants called in various phases of the game. Again, big McD fan here, and he gets almost everything else right, an that’s no small feat.

I tend to agree with your assessment. I would add to your comment that right before halftime, it seemed as though He was playing for the field goal instead of a backbreaking touchdown. I do think that he learns from his mistakes though. Let's hope.

I’m sorry but the jury is still out on McD as a HC.  Bills had a joke of a schedule last year. They lost games to non-playoff teams in Cleveland and Philadelphia. They were losing the home opener before the Jets lost their MLB. And has been pointed out they choked in the playoffs.  He has yet to beat Belichick in six attempts despite doing a good job against Brady. But his team plays hard though his defense collapses at times. He has seemingly found the right balance between motivator, teacher, and just enough accountability. I believe he puts too much emphasis on ST Role players and not enough on pass rushers.

He has no excuses. This is the team he wanted. Only an AFC East title and deep playoff run will be acceptable. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

People always remember the games lost by conservatism but always forget the games won by it.

... and it was a struggle to win on many of those occasions because of that conservative strategy.  It always gives your opponent a chance to win when you in effect stop trying to score more points, and play prevent “D”. 

Hey Sean, ya you McDermott,  stop pretending your defense is going to score points,  last season, zero of them... its why you have an offense... and yes, kick Brian in the azs during games now and then... ??

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m sorry but the jury is still out on McD as a HC.  Bills had a joke of a schedule last year. They lost games to non-playoff teams in Cleveland and Philadelphia. They were losing the home opener before the Jets lost their MLB. And has been pointed out they choked in the playoffs.  He has yet to beat Belichick in six attempts despite doing a good job against Brady. But his team plays hard though his defense collapses at times. He has seemingly found the right balance between motivator, teacher, and just enough accountability. I believe he puts too much emphasis on ST Role players and not enough on pass rushers.

He has no excuses. This is the team he wanted. Only an AFC East title and deep playoff run will be acceptable. 

Believe me I hear what you’re saying.   

At the same time though I’m just not sure any Bills fan can really be too hard on Sean.   I mean it was a team that hadn’t made the playoffs in 17 years and he was able to

accomplish that twice in his first three seasons.  All the while seemingly changing the culture around the team where I felt prior regimes just tweaked things here or there.

There’s ways he can improve no doubt but you’d have to say he’s been solid overall so far no?   Btw, Eagles were a playoff team last year 

• Like (+1) 3

I said a lot of the same things before last season about McDermott needing to be more aggressive with game management.  I got flamed by a couple of long-time posters and let it go, wanted to watch the 2019 season play out.  Well, despite the overall positive results, there were more than enough games that we lost where lack of aggressiveness played a large role.

I do agree that he's working hard to get better and not being stubborn about just doing things "his way", (unlike so many of our past failed coaches).  Hopefully a more talented offense moves the needle in the right direction.

But on the flip side, let's not pat him on the back too much.  The success of the past 3 season has been as much about not tripping over our own d*cks, as it has been about playing well enough to win.  Last season, we had an all time easy schedule and largely took advantage of it.  But the next step is about outplaying AND outcoaching the best teams in the league.  McDermott and the team definitely haven't shown enough in that department

This year will end up saying a lot about this topic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree with your premise but the Houston game was the complete opposite approach.... just over the top aggressive playcalling. In OT I don't think they ran the ball once. 

Agree somewhat with the Patriots game. The Steelers game was the most frustrating offensive game plan I've seen. Just ridiculously conservative. 

I said it all year. The Bills never went for another score when they had the ball with the lead before halftime in a 2 minute type of situation. 

Yep.

Playing not to lose is not a good strategy.  And the Houston game was just mind-boggling stupidity.

I'll also add that McDermott is HORRIBLE at challenges.  One of the worst.

8 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Last year’s playoff game was the complete opposite of conservative we should’ve been running the ball instead the ball was taking kill shots of passage to the end zone that wide receivers were not catching Devon was actually having a good game and we should’ve been running the ball especially with a lead

• Like (+1) 1

I will agree that there were some moments that I wish they had gone for the jugular last year. But, you also have to take into account the offense itself and McD's confidence in them connecting on certain plays or down and distance. For instance, in 2017, we would have never made the playoffs if he let that offense wing it. Relying on his defense and playing conservatively on offense is actually what got that team to the post season. And even last year, we were much better, but the offense still struggled mightily in some games. It is kind of like having a kicker that you know is money from inside 45, but struggles over that. Well, if it's fourth down and a FG try would be from 51, you probably go for it on fourth rather than try the FG because you are not confident in your kicker.

Hopefully this year the offense will take off and McD will have the confidence in them to sling it around, go for it, and not play too conservatively. But outside of maybe one or two games, I think he has managed games pretty well in that regard thus far.

9 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Good points Wide Left.  I don't think the playcalling of going too conservative is the issue as much as the game day roster.  Gore Dimarco Foster and Lee Smith gave us no production.  Yeldon Sweeney and Duke Williams should have been playing the entire second half of the season.  We were severely lacking in offensive firepower  last year.  

• Like (+1) 1